IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Icon in the task bar

FAM10

Hi,

I have observed that SD 2.5 does not run (the icon in the task bar does not appear) after Windows starting if the laptop is functioning with the battery. If the laptop is connected to current before Windows start the icon of SD appears normally. The same occurs on sleep mode (with battery, after restart from sleep mode, the icon disappears).

Is it a normal behaviour of SD 2.5? How I can configure the SD to start in all situations, that is with battery and with current as source of power?

Thank you in advance.

Win 7 Professional, Kaspersky Antivirus 6.0 (Workstation), Smart Defrag 2.5, Laptop HP 430.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome

Welcome to the forum :smile:

Go to:

• SmartDefrag

• Settings

• General Settings

Stop defrag while using battery (Recommended)

If it is ticked, SmartDefrag will not work while on battery power. I strongly suggest leaving it ticked

I would guess that defragging will use more battery power, but more importantly, you don't want to run out of battery power and have your Notebook shut down while a defrag is happening :shock:

All the best, woz of oz

Thank you for replying.

I have tested the situation with and without the "Stop defrag while using battery (Recommended)" option both ticked and unticked. The behaviour is the same for that two configurations. The icon does not appear while the power to be from battery.

I understood that "Stop defrag while using battery (Recommended)" was specifically for the defragment process, and not to prevent the load of the program what I can see with the SD task bar icon, in the cases of use under battery.

Hi FAM

Perhaps a better wording would have been "Deactivate defragmentation when running on batteries" - or "Don't defrag while on batteries"

Have you tried to restart either the program or the computer after changing the setting? To see if it reacts as you expect it to then?

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you for replying.

I have tested the situation with and without the "Stop defrag while using battery (Recommended)" option both ticked and unticked. The behaviour is the same for that two configurations. The icon does not appear while the power to be from battery.

I understood that "Stop defrag while using battery (Recommended)" was specifically for the defragment process, and not to prevent the load of the program what I can see with the SD task bar icon, in the cases of use under battery.

Thanks solbjerg.

I comment you that yes, I tried restarting with each one of that configuration about battery, obtaining the same results.

I agree with the text "Stop defrag while using battery (Recommended)".

I think, if technically possible, SD should have added the option ""Deactivate Smart Defrag when running on batteries" or "Don't run Smart Defrag in the task bar after windows starts on batteries"

I will be waiting your valuable comments. Regards.

Hi Toppack

Hi FAM

Exactly!

I wonder if some difference (bug) can happen if SD is also on one of the automatic settings. I'll try that by me.

Usually I don't use the automatic settings and I have always had the setting not to run defragmentation while on batteries.

I find the risk of doing a defrag on batteries to great.

I mean lack of power stopping the computer in the midst of moving important data around may be the cause of losing that data, and if the data is important enough the only remedy may be to install Windows again from scratch.

On the other hand - the icon problem is not a critical or big problem as I see it? It does show when the program is running, right?

Please give us a screenshot of your general settings!

Cheers

solbjerg

???

What he is saying is that SD Should NOT br run while operating on Batteries-only,

So the Icon Should NOT be displayed Either.

(Since there a posibility of damaging the data on your Hard-drive, if you do)

'Plug IT IN, Plug IT IN' :lol:

I have a new observations:

Whit the laptop connected to current power and with the SD started (icon in the task bar) the icon disappear if I disconnect the power current and the laptop continues working with battery. If I connect again to the current power the icon does not restore.

In conclusion,

• If I start the system with the laptop plugged to current, SD works normally and its icon appears in the task bar.
  • If I start the system with the laptop unplugged to current, this is with the power of battery, I do not know if SD works normally, and its icon does not appear in the task bar.
  • If I start the system with the laptop plugged to current, SD works normally and its icon appears in the task bar. And if I unplugged the current, the icon disappear.

Fam10

Is your SD running from ASC, or is it a stand alone. Also in your SD general settings, is the "Minimize to system tray when program is closed" ticked or not ticked.

I have tried SD (Stand alone. Not ASC loaded) with battery and with power connected, and the icon remains in the tray in all cases. However, when I disconnected the power lead, my Performance Monitor disappeared, and did not return when I re-connected. So. I am suspecting ASC rather than SD.

Hi FAM

1. This is how you like it, right?

2. If the laptop is running on batteries and the option to abstain from using SD in that circumstance, it should not start and the icon should not be in in the tray, right?

3. If plugged in it start as you like it and the icon is shown, if you unplug it it will then run on batteries and as the SD doesn't run on batteries it will close down the program and not show the icon while the program is closed,

4. If you then plug it in again I think you will have to start the program for the icon to show in the tray?

Isn't that all fairly straightforward behaviour?

Cheers

solbjerg

I have a new observations:

Whit the laptop connected to current power and with the SD started (icon in the task bar) the icon disappear if I disconnect the power current and the laptop continues working with battery. If I connect again to the current power the icon does not restore.

In conclusion,

• If I start the system with the laptop plugged to current, SD works normally and its icon appears in the task bar.
  • If I start the system with the laptop unplugged to current, this is with the power of battery, I do not know if SD works normally, and its icon does not appear in the task bar.
  • If I start the system with the laptop plugged to current, SD works normally and its icon appears in the task bar. And if I unplugged the current, the icon disappear.

Solbjerg

There is some other issue here. I think Fam10 has a genuine problem. I have started SD (stand alone) and checked the functions. If I disconnect mains, it will not allow Analyze or Defrag to run. That is exactly as it should work..But..my SD icon does not disappear from the tray, and I can acess and change settings if I wish. So the program is not de-activated when on battery, just the analyze/defrag function is disabled.

If I reconnect the mains, the program will perform all functions without a restart of SD.

So, I think Fam10's problem may be unique to his system.

The above works exactly the same even if I start SD, on battery only.

Ok Scannan

I am not using my laptop while at home, so I hadn't run any tests.

Cheers

solbjerg

Solbjerg

There is some other issue here. I think Fam10 has a genuine problem. I have started SD (stand alone) and checked the functions. If I disconnect mains, it will not allow Analyze or Defrag to run. That is exactly as it should work..But..my SD icon does not disappear from the tray, and I can acess and change settings if I wish. So the program is not de-activated when on battery, just the analyze/defrag function is disabled.

If I reconnect the mains, the program will perform all functions without a restart of SD.

So, I think Fam10's problem may be unique to his system.

The above works exactly the same even if I start SD, on battery only.

Fam10

I suggest that you uninstall SD, restart your pc and re-install SD. Be sure to do a full uninstall ( use ASC uninstaller) then see if the problem occurs again. Please let us know the result.

Hi, I reinstall SD, and this issue was solved:•If I start the system with the laptop plugged to current, SD works normally and its icon appears in the task bar. And if I unplugged the current, the icon disappear. Now, if I unplugged the current, the icon does not disappear from the tray.

But the following issue is still present: •If I start the system with the laptop unplugged to current, this is with the power of battery, the SD icon does not appear in the task bar.

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

But the following issue is still present: •If I start the system with the laptop unplugged to current, this is with the power of battery, the SD icon does not appear in the task bar.

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

This would be normal behavior of SD I believe.:-)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Tahnk you for responding always.

I have the last question:

I observed that this SD 2.5 is able to run a bootdefrag in spite of the option "Stop defragmenting when using battery (Recommended)" is ticked.

Is it normal for the program functioning?

Thanks again for supporting.

Hi FAM

Will insert my comments in your post where they are most appropriate.

Tahnk you for responding always.

I have the last question:

I observed that this SD 2.5 is able to run a bootdefrag in spite of the option "Stop defragmenting when using battery (Recommended)" is ticked.

Is that in a situation where you are running it on batteries only???

If that is the situation, I recommend that you do not automatically run a boot defrag, but do it manually and only when you are sure that you have your PC plugged in!!

I always have it plugged in except when I am on the road.

Cheers

solbjerg

Is it normal for the program functioning?

Thanks again for supporting.

Fam10

Please explain what you mean by "observed". If the SD does not run when system is started on battery, what do you see that tells you it is doing a boot defrag.

I tried selecting the option of boot time defrag in "Every boot", I unplugged from current and then I restarted the system. When initiating the text related to defragment appeared (in DOS mode, below the loading of Windows). Can you try this behaviour on your laptop?

Thanks.

Hi FAM

Will insert my comments in your post where they are most appropriate.

Hi solbjerg

I am answering your comments:

Is that in a situation where you are running it on batteries only??? YES. For example when power on the laptop.

If that is the situation, I recommend that you do not automatically run a boot defrag, but do it manually and only when you are sure that you have your PC plugged in!! I agree with you but I like to try the program features and configurations

I always have it plugged in except when I am on the road. Sometimes I use the laptop few minutes or hours with battery, depending the circumstances.

Thank you for participating in this post.

I tried selecting the option of boot time defrag in "Every boot", I unplugged from current and then I restarted the system. When initiating the text related to defragment appeared (in DOS mode, below the loading of Windows). Can you try this behaviour on your laptop?

Thanks.

Fam10,

I am sorry, but you will have to be more specific in your description/explanation.

When you say "the text related to defragment appeared (in DOS mode, below the loading of Windows)"

What does the text say??. does it say it is performing a boot defrag,,,or does it say that bootdefrag will not run....

It makes it easier for us to assist you if you supply clear and full information in your post.

In fact,I would never run Bootdefrag every boot or even every first boot or even once a week. I would only ever use bootdefrag if I found excessive amounts of immovable files during analyze. However I do understand that you are concerned that it appears to perform boot defrag while on battery. We will know better when you tell us what the text says during boot.

Hi Scannan & Fam10

I tested the option. Found my laptop and opened it and asked SD to perform a boot time defrag on only the next startup, It ran on batteries and the setting was "do not defrag while running on batteries".

I restarted the laptop and it did open the dos defrag window where it informed me of the status of the drive.

After a few seconds it closed without having run any defragmentation.

Sorry that I was too late to get a screenshot of the text and it closed so fast that I didn't have time to read it all.

So it does not run a boot defrag while on batteries as far as I have seen here. (No bug there either) :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Fam10,

I am sorry, but you will have to be more specific in your description/explanation.

When you say "the text related to defragment appeared (in DOS mode, below the loading of Windows)"

What does the text say??. does it say it is performing a boot defrag,,,or does it say that bootdefrag will not run....

It makes it easier for us to assist you if you supply clear and full information in your post.

In fact,I would never run Bootdefrag every boot or even every first boot or even once a week. I would only ever use bootdefrag if I found excessive amounts of immovable files during analyze. However I do understand that you are concerned that it appears to perform boot defrag while on battery. We will know better when you tell us what the text says during boot.

Archived