IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Quirks found w/i SD v 2.5

Bubba Euler

I really appreciate SD v 2.5! It has several quirks that haven't been fixed by having d/l several times:

The program starts at boot-up and runs fine for awhile, then suddenly, it is not running. I've even SEEN it quit running while watching the Icon in the System Tray.

Also, the "time remaining" clock is very strange acting. It increases the time remaining, most of the time displaying over an hour remaining to completion.

As I've said, I really like SD v 2.5. Thank you for providing it to us for such a lovely price tag!!!

Bubba Euler:razz:

Hi Bubba

Please be more specific about the settings and the boot up.

Do you have it set to run a boot time defrag at every boot up?

Do you also have it set to run defrag automatically constantly?

Some screenshots would probably be informative, please.

About the timing - it has from day one been wobbly - I think it functions almost right during af Plain defrag, but during the other two possibilities you cannot rely on it. After you have tried a few times you will know how long it takes approximately. ;-)

IObit has known this for years and I have reported it again and again in the past. They say that it is very hard to make it accurate.

The actual defrag seems to be solvable but the fast optimization and the deep optimization seems to be much harder.

I even at one time suggested that they just had a timer that just told how much time had passed, but apparently other users voted for time left.

Cheers

solbjerg

I really appreciate SD v 2.5! It has several quirks that haven't been fixed by having d/l several times:

The program starts at boot-up and runs fine for awhile, then suddenly, it is not running. I've even SEEN it quit running while watching the Icon in the System Tray.

Also, the "time remaining" clock is very strange acting. It increases the time remaining, most of the time displaying over an hour remaining to completion.

As I've said, I really like SD v 2.5. Thank you for providing it to us for such a lovely price tag!!!

Bubba Euler:razz:

Solbjerg/Bubba

With regard to the timing issue...I have seen this on many programs, such as video and ebook converters, and video editers.

From what I could determine, I can understand Iobits difficulty, as no one seems to have resolved this issue.

The methodology/algorithm, involved in this complex function (Defragging,Optimize) , issuch that as the function is being performed the remaining time is recalculated continuously, based on many factors, such as disc access availability, memory availability, CPU Load,bad writes, bad reads..etc.

With normal defrag, it is not such an issue as the analysis provides the data required calculate the time required to perform the task, and as there is no optimization involved, the room for error is vastly minimized. However once the more complex tasks (Optimization) are introduced, the variables expand greatly, and hence the time continuously changing (getting longer).

Hi Bubba

I would still like to see some screenshots that show most of your settings in order to try to pinpoint what may be the culprit in your case.

If you have it set to automatic defrag and with the setting "Always defrag" there wont be much defragging needed, and it may just take a couple of seconds for it to finish.

Have you tried the first remedy - a clean install?

Remember to clean all settings and folders, also in documents and settings along with uninstalling the program.

There is a link to a guide about Clean Install in my signature (below)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you all! I have SD set for Boot Defragmentation at Once Every 7 Days. Also, the Automatic Function is at play continuously. I understand the Clock Function problem(s). Now, if y'all could address the random shutdown problem....Ha!

Thanks, Solbjerg. I don't think the link to the Clean Install ("in my signature") was included in your message. Yes, I always clean out the folder of any program which I've Uninstalled, esp. prior to Re-Installing the program. I've accomplished it twice, to no avail. Oh, well...

EDIT: You have to choose show signatures in your User Control Panel to see the signatures of users. You have it disabled.

Hi Bubba Euler

This is a clarification to an EDIT made by Enoskype so that it is clear to you.

You have disabled this setting in your "User CP" located at the top left of the Iobit forum GUI (GraphicUserInterface):http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10463&d=1348700702

You may consider revisiting your user CP and checking the settings you have selected.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived