IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

File Association resetting

file associations

Hi jumiclads,

Depends on what you are opening,

PDF files

can be opened with adobe reader or foxit and will open automatically, as they are standard text files, if either of these are installed on your PC,

there are others.

JPEG files

are opened by many various "Photo/phone" programs including the built in MS media, (as you have w7).

Roy

Hi Roy

Thanks for your reply.

I am talking about PDF files at the moment. I have Adobe Reader X installed and I associate the files with it and their icons change to show this. When I run ASC it cancels the association. I change them back and run it again and the same happens. I have tried taking the ticks out of the boxes next to Adobe in the settings under Privacy in both quick and deep care but still get the same.

Mick

Jumiclads

It sounds to me that ASC is removing/altering the registry entry for the file type associations. Please set your file associations again and run ASC with the Registry cleaner disabled (not selected) and see if the file associations are still affected.

Hi jumiclads, welcome to Iobit Forum! :grin:

You have to scan only Registry Fix and try to find out which one is causing it by clicking on the Registry Fix .

Repair Registr Fix only, and then associate the extentions, and then Scan Registry Fix to minimize the items to be fixed.

You can then put them to Ignore List by right clicking on the items and choosing Ignore.

Cheers.

Scan Report

[unused File Extensions]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.ico\OpenWithList|N/A=

[unused File Extensions]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithProgids|pdf_auto_file=

[unused File Extensions]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf|N/A=

[unused File Extensions]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\Directory\OpenWithList|N/A=

[unused File Extensions]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\Directory\OpenWithProgids|File Folder=

[unused File Extensions]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\Directory|N/A=

Hi jumiclads

A few other comments:

Some programs fx. antivirus, antispyware programs and firewalls monitors the registry and will most often resist the change you perform to the file association,

therefore I would say that you ought to deactivate those programs until after you have changed the file association in the registry.

enoskype's suggestion that you place that "problem" in the ignore list is fine too.

Why this problem happened by you is shrouded in mystery

Did you by any chance run an application in the toolbox that could be responsible because you didn't check the socalled "problems" that were found?

Was it just the icon that was affected? Did it open the program while showing a "wrong" icon?

Be aware that the Toolbox is NOT a "one click solution" cleaning tool

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi jumiclads, welcome to Iobit Forum! :grin:

You have to scan only Registry Fix and try to find out which one is causing it by clicking on the Registry Fix .

Repair Registr Fix only, and then associate the extentions, and then Scan Registry Fix to minimize the items to be fixed.

You can then put them to Ignore List by right clicking on the items and choosing Ignore.

Cheers.

Ok jumiclads

Strange, - it shouldn't have

Here is a screenshot of the Registry fix settings by me

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10498&stc=1&d=1348916819

The next to last item is by me ticked and have given me no problems, but you could try to untick this item.

Perhaps wait until after you hear from Cicely again :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Solbjerg

I haven't run any programs in the toolbox yet. This problem has only appeared since I installed ASC. It was the actual file association not just the icon that was affected.

jumiclads

Yes, definitely follow Solbjerg's advice and untick file extensions in registry fix and see if the file associations remain unchanged.

I have found that there appears to be a weakness in W7 relating to the files association registry entry, and this is probably the reason that ASC sees it as incorrect/damaged and repairs it. Have a look at this link which may make the issue clearer to you.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/problems-with-file-association-in-windows-7-64-bit/8a84fcec-22df-4942-8e35-d98dbe96e327

I ran ASC with the tick out and the association stayed intact. I also had it with the tick in and ran it which cleared the file association and any other errors. I re established the association and ran it again and came up with 2 errors as follows:

[unused File Extensions]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithProgids|pdf_auto_file=

[unused File Extensions]

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf|N/A=

I have placed both of these in the ignore list and run it again and everything is fine.Could you confirm I have done the right thing.

Hi jumiclads

Seems this worked!

If you are happy - we are happy! :-)

There may be something in it for IObit to look into.

Thank you for reporting it.

Cheers

solbjerg

I ran ASC with the tick out and the association stayed intact. I also had it with the tick in and ran it which cleared the file association and any other errors. I re established the association and ran it again and came up with 2 errors as follows:

[unused File Extensions]

[unused File Extensions]

I have placed both of these in the ignore list and run it again and everything is fine.Could you confirm I have done the right thing.

Archived