IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Privacy Scan Not deleting Cookies

I'm confused.

I ran Quick care>Privacy Sweep and selected everything. But there are still cookies on the following location:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

Why aren't these getting deleted?

James

This is odd.

There were a list in the saved cookies list. I rmoved them form the saverd cookie list. and ran privacy sweep again.

These cookies remain even though I have nothing in the saved cookie list.

The odd thing is I never even moved cookies into this list. How did they get there? Not sure what they were no they are gone.

But, the cookies are still there along with index.dat.

Safe considered cookies are kept in the ignore list when you install a newer version of ASC by default.

Please see the action link "Keep cookies for safe websites (Gmail, Yahoo, MSN, etc.)'' below that box, of which clicking on it re-places the default cookies back to ignore list.

These cookies remain even though I have nothing in the saved cookie list.

But, the cookies are still there along with index.dat.

Did you delete the index.dat file and restart your PC and check if the cookies are still in that folder you mention?

Also please check the content of index.dat file with a text editor before deleting and restarting the PC, and see if you can find the concerned cookies included in it.

Cheers.

Some websites, that many people use as their Homepage, create Many cookies. (such as Yahoo and Google)

And by Toolbars added to the Browser.

So as soon as the Browser is loaded the cookies are Re-loaded.

That's another reason we created our own Homepage,

that is on our computers, not downloaded from Internet. ;-)

First I start my browser in about:blank... no web page.

Second, I opened the index.dat and didn't recognize anything but the cookies (.txt) files are being added when ever I go on the web. Some have been there since July 29.

I opened some of thses .txt files and they I see Microsoft in most.

I'm using Firefox as my default browser and my current system is a restore of a disk image I created on Aug. 14.

Just don't understand why these aren't being deleted. It's frustrating.

Out of curiosity I opened Internet Explorer and did a clean up of temporary internet files.

The files were deleted using Internet Explorer

Why Privacy Sweeper did not is still a mystery.

Hi JamesJ.

the cookies (.txt) files are being added when ever I go on the web
This is normal, as it is necessary.

Just don't understand why these aren't being deleted. It's frustrating.

Out of curiosity I opened Internet Explorer and did a clean up of temporary internet files.

The files were deleted using Internet Explorer

It is likely they are being deleted and then restored... either as Toppack suggests... or by a service you have running.

It is also known that no one cleaner is complete. What one considers OK to leave behind... another does not. So it is normal that "The files were deleted using Internet Explorer"

When I clean and defragment my machine I use four cleaners.

If you visit the web only for a minute you will most likely begin accumulating cookies. You can disable this if you wish, but then you will find it almost impossible to surf the web.

I hope this is helpful:smile: and informative on some level!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I assumed cookies are cookies and Privacy Sweeper will clean these as other cleaners have.

I also found that after removing these cookies using IE, Privacy Sweeper is now removing cookies added to this folder. Maybe it was removing some but not all.

Maybe these cookies that were remaining were somehow marked by IE to keep and somehow Privacy Sweeper left them alone.

I did use IE 9 prior to Firefox on this system.

James

Archived