IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SDfrag Wastes 9 Seconds at boot / how do i disable "wait x seconds to start"

hentosama

Greetings I Love smart defrag :D it keeps my system running at full speed due to the fact that i use Boot time defrag on my mechanical drives, but here is the problem

Each time it asks me to Wait 6 seconds to start the automatic defrag (unless i want to skip it by pressing a button) and after finishing it also waits 3 seconds to continue unless y press a key to view the information

the problem is that im awlays waiting 9 extra seconds that should not be there

Is there a way for it to just start without waiting the extra 6-3 seconds?

My maind rive is an SSD, it takes about 5 seconds to boot, but i use Mechanical drives and i need to keep the partition defraged , SD helps but the extra 9 seconds seem like a drawback to me D:

thanks

Greetings to you as well hentosama... welcome here!!

Greetings I Love smart defrag :D it keeps my system running at full speed due to the fact that i use Boot time defrag on my mechanical drives, but here is the problem

Each time it asks me to Wait 6 seconds to start the automatic defrag (unless i want to skip it by pressing a button) and after finishing it also waits 3 seconds to continue unless y press a key to view the information

My maind rive is an SSD, it takes about 5 seconds to boot, but i use Mechanical drives and i need to keep the partition defraged , SD helps but the extra 9 seconds seem like a drawback to me D:

thanks

This post is confusing to me:

Are you speaking of the boot-time defrag? (DOS window) or are you saying something else?
My maind rive is an SSD, it takes about 5 seconds to boot, but i use Mechanical drives and i need to keep the partition defraged
You are not defragging the SSD (please verify).
I doubt you will be able to avoid the 9 second wait... but others will view and post. (clarification would be nice:wink:)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

@hentosama

Hi there! :-D

You have a lot more to gain than those 9 seconds and believe me, you have more to worry about like 90+ or more processes to boot. A Boot Defrag is not really recommended as a daily thing.It may even do more damage, and a Defrag is not advisable even during the busiest times for more often than every seven days...this holds true especially for a Win 7 Home Premium or any NTFS Partition for that matter They don't fragment as much.

-Cowboy

thanks

thanks for the replies ... my point is

My main is an ssd drive and it takes me 5 seconds to boot up (which i know i dont need to defrag, and i dont)

my second drive is a mechanical drive, where i do lots of writes, the boot defrag helps me keep it in check, and it takes about 5 seconds to defrag it at boot ($mft table)

normally that would mean 10 seconds at much... but smart defrag ads 9 more seconds while its asking me to cancel the defrag..

So im asking if there is a way to disable the user input delay so that the program is not waiting for my confirmation/cancelation

thanks

• 1 month later...

I, too, would like to know if there is a way to disable the prompt or shorten it to 0 or is it hard-coded? (not looking for opinions, just an answer to a direct question)

Otherwise, I'd like to suggest that be a configurable setting in the Boot Time Defrag options.

Hi hentosama,

Firstly, please listen to the advice of Toppack and dv8cowboy. It is a really bad idea to bootdefrag every boot. Once a month is more than enough. You are unnecessarily wearing your drive and increasing your risk of bad sector creation.

Bootdefragging every boot does not help your machine in any way.

Also, as Toppack said, Defrag manually. It is a lot less stressful on your drive and only needs to be done when a lot of fragmenting has occurred. The settings allow you to set your fragmentation rate, at which point you will be told a defrag is recommended.

I think the 6 second delay is to allow you the opportunity to change your mind and cancel/abort the action.

Hi hentosama

Please take a look in the report of the boot scanning and compare it to the report of a manual scanning.

The difference will be easy to see.

Cheers

solbjerg

thanks for the replies ... my point is

My main is an ssd drive and it takes me 5 seconds to boot up (which i know i dont need to defrag, and i dont)

my second drive is a mechanical drive, where i do lots of writes, the boot defrag helps me keep it in check, and it takes about 5 seconds to defrag it at boot ($mft table)

normally that would mean 10 seconds at much... but smart defrag ads 9 more seconds while its asking me to cancel the defrag..

So im asking if there is a way to disable the user input delay so that the program is not waiting for my confirmation/cancelation

thanks

I'm a rank newby here so please take what I say with a whole pound of salt.

It sounds like he is booting from a SSD which he does not defrag (a good thing).

Then he is doing a "boot defrag" on a mechanical non-boot, data only drive.

IIUC, a boot defrag will defrag only those files that can't be defragged while Windows is running. Is the data drive even bootable to begin with? If not, is there any reason to boot defrag a non-bootable drive ever, for any reason?

A possible fix for delay boot scan

I may have found a specific answer to this specific problem:

Using ASC6, toolbox, system control, scroll all the way down until you see "Start and Maintenence". Under the System start tab there is a setting for "delay for diskscan". On my XP system it defaults to 10 seconds. I can reset it for any number of seconds. Maybe you can also.

I hope this helps and fixes your issue.

Archived