IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Even with nearly 30% free space!

I have run Smart Defrag on a 70Gb disc with nearly a third of the capacity free, but still Defrag runs and reports :-

71.45Gb disk

20.56Gb free

Fragmented files 3130

Fragmentation before 56.36&

Fragmentation before 56.35%

How come it does not do any more than this?

Nigel

Hi nandrews,

You may have an extremely fragmented System Files, Page file, Hibernation file etc., and your own fairy large files to be defragmented.

Although it is not often, but can happen.

Best thing to do is, try to use a trial version of a defragmenter such as PerfectDisk8 to defragment the system files with an off line defrag option, then you can use Smart Defrag regularly.

If you would like to go for other options, please read the posts in this thread

I hope this helps.

hi nandrews

What kind of disk? The C: drive?

What kind of files?

Which version of SmartDefrag?

Have you used windows defragmenter on them too?

Perhaps several defragmentations will bring the fragmentation down?

If you are using defrag&optimize then try to use only defrag until the defragmentation is down to normal levels.

Cheers

solbjerg

I have run Smart Defrag on a 70Gb disc with nearly a third of the capacity free, but still Defrag runs and reports :-

71.45Gb disk

20.56Gb free

Fragmented files 3130

Fragmentation before 56.36&

Fragmentation before 56.35%

How come it does not do any more than this?

Nigel

I have tried PerfectDisk8 and left it running nearly 12 hours.

It go thru' the first section of defragging but in the second it reported "Not enough room to defrag (number)" I presume the number is sector.

So I aborted it at that point.

But worse running Smart Defrag afterwards I get the following results

71.45Gb

20.05Gb

Fragmented files 3379

Fragmentation before 57.13&

Fragmentation after 56.96%

So in the 12 hours it has made no difference!

The largest file that SD says that there is not enough room for is 815mb.

I am wondering what more I can do? It looks like it won't defrag until I remove most of the files I have on here!

To answer Soljberg

What kind of disk? The C: drive? Yes

What kind of files? All of them! But the files it says there is no room for are videos but less than 815mb

Which version of SmartDefrag? The latest v1.0

Have you used windows defragmenter on them too? Yes but it is way too slow hence using SD.

Perhaps several defragmentations will bring the fragmentation down? I have tried but the results are the same.

Nigel

Hi nandrews

Is it possible for you to move your video files to another drive, for a while, during the time it takes you to defragment the rest of the C drive?

Cheers

solbjerg

I have tried PerfectDisk8 and left it running nearly 12 hours.

It go thru' the first section of defragging but in the second it reported "Not enough room to defrag (number)" I presume the number is sector.

So I aborted it at that point.

But worse running Smart Defrag afterwards I get the following results

71.45Gb

20.05Gb

Fragmented files 3379

Fragmentation before 57.13&

Fragmentation after 56.96%

So in the 12 hours it has made no difference!

The largest file that SD says that there is not enough room for is 815mb.

I am wondering what more I can do? It looks like it won't defrag until I remove most of the files I have on here!

To answer Soljberg

What kind of disk? The C: drive? Yes

What kind of files? All of them! But the files it says there is no room for are videos but less than 815mb

Which version of SmartDefrag? The latest v1.0

Have you used windows defragmenter on them too? Yes but it is way too slow hence using SD.

Perhaps several defragmentations will bring the fragmentation down? I have tried but the results are the same.

Nigel

Hi again nandrews

If you have video files that take up around 20 GB, then that might be the reason, or if you have a video running in the background or something, that would also halt the defragmentation process.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi nandrews

Is it possible for you to move your video files to another drive, for a while, during the time it takes you to defragment the rest of the C drive?

Cheers

solbjerg

Soljberg

Thanks for the reply.

Well of course I could move everything off the drive! But I expected with around a third of the drive free (<>20Gb) it ought to be enough.

None of the files are greater than 20Gb! The biggest is a fraction of that, so why does SD not do it's job (or even PerfectDisk come to that!)

But I think even if I was to move all my files off and defrag (assuming THAT works!). When I come to put them all back on, they will need defragging and I am back to square one.

But the amount of files I would have to clear is around 20Gb and too big a task for now.

Nigel

hi nandrews

It might be enough to move some of the largest video files for a while.

Cheers

solbjerg

Soljberg

Thanks for the reply.

Well of course I could move everything off the drive! But I expected with around a third of the drive free (<>20Gb) it ought to be enough.

None of the files are greater than 20Gb! The biggest is a fraction of that, so why does SD not do it's job (or even PerfectDisk come to that!)

But I think even if I was to move all my files off and defrag (assuming THAT works!). When I come to put them all back on, they will need defragging and I am back to square one.

But the amount of files I would have to clear is around 20Gb and too big a task for now.

Nigel

Archived