IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Boot Time Defrag stopped working?

Jackdashack

The boot time defrag worked for a short time. Now no matter what the settings it will not take?

In the top panel it shows BOOT TIME DEFRAG ( in green YES )

Further down in a panel in green BOOT TIME DEFRAG IS ACTIVATED ON THIS VOLUME

CONFIGURE (everyday first boot, I've even tried every boot, etc)

What happened. BTW I think this is one great program and will consider purchasing the rest to PRO in the future.

Thanks greatly! jack "dashack" :roll:

Hi Jack

Is it a laptop, and are you trying to run a defrag on batteries?

If so try it with it plugged in :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. In the settings is the boot time defrag also chosen?

The boot time defrag worked for a short time. Now no matter what the settings it will not take?

In the top panel it shows BOOT TIME DEFRAG ( in green YES )

Further down in a panel in green BOOT TIME DEFRAG IS ACTIVATED ON THIS VOLUME

CONFIGURE (everyday first boot, I've even tried every boot, etc)

What happened. BTW I think this is one great program and will consider purchasing the rest to PRO in the future.

Thanks greatly! jack "dashack" :roll:

Hi Jack

Is it a laptop, and are you trying to run a defrag on batteries?

If so try it with it plugged in :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. In the settings is the boot time defrag also chosen?

Thanks so much!

I am on house current.

It is a laptop, actually what we called a tablet back in 2006, which was more laptop than a tablet of today.

Yes, I think I tried to make that clear in my original post, but I'm not always the clearest. I have all the settings even through to configure area. Everything is green and go in all places! ":-D thanks! hope there's still help.

Hi Jack

Curious!

I have sometimes seen that the connections worked loose and that a resetting of the connections worked its magic. :-)

It is not always visible to the naked eye.

Could that be it?

If the program is on standard settings it should not happen!

The only other thing that spring to mind is a faulty install with perhaps leftovers from the previous program - a clean install (Totally clean install) would be the remedy for that. (link to guide in my signature)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Is your setting set to "Always defrag" or does it have some percentage at which it starts?

You may consider that you run the defrag so often that there is nothing or almost nothing to defrag (fx. less than 1%)

I have tried the boot time defrag - and it seems that this defrag method concentrates on the fragmented files that are unavailable for defragmentation during the normal running of the computer. At least the report records very little activity after/during a boot time defragment has been run. Much fewer fragments are found than when you run a manual defrag during the day.

Thanks so much!

I am on house current.

It is a laptop, actually what we called a tablet back in 2006, which was more laptop than a tablet of today.

Yes, I think I tried to make that clear in my original post, but I'm not always the clearest. I have all the settings even through to configure area. Everything is green and go in all places! ":-D thanks! hope there's still help.

Hi Jack

Curious!

I have sometimes seen that the connections worked loose and that a resetting of the connections worked its magic. :-)

It is not always visible to the naked eye.

Could that be it?

If the program is on standard settings it should not happen!

The only other thing that spring to mind is a faulty install with perhaps leftovers from the previous program - a clean install (Totally clean install) would be the remedy for that. (link to guide in my signature)

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Is your setting set to "Always defrag" or does it have some percentage at which it starts?

You may consider that you run the defrag so often that there is nothing or almost nothing to defrag (fx. less than 1%)

I have tried the boot time defrag - and it seems that this defrag method concentrates on the fragmented files that are unavailable for defragmentation during the normal running of the computer. At least the report records very little activity after/during a boot time defragment has been run. Much fewer fragments are found than when you run a manual defrag during the day.

Thanks! Getting back now. I know Smart Defrag runs but I don't know that I had a setting. However I thought that Smart Defrag was only involved with files that don't usually get defraged, $MFT, etc. But let me go on. I know what you mean by "clean uninstall" I usually do that most times myself as a good practice. Even going into the registry and using FIND. I learned a few years back to treat that registry with respect. But this time I had uninstalled REVO thinking I had a great uninstaller in iOBit. So I just used the uninstallerst that came with the program. Then I reinstalled with files downloaded from another computer just in case something was funky with the ones on this computer. Afer reinstallation I went through a few settings, particularly in the defrag program. Shut down, counted, turned on and the Boot Defrag worked. Now to stand the test of time and see if it remains. Thanks so much for your assistance. ":-D jack :lol:

I didn't mean Smart Defrag "was" involve with unaccessable files, what I meant to say was I thought Smart Defrag did not touch the files associated with Boot Defrag. So sorry! ":-D

Hi Jack

Thank you for the feedback!! Nice to know that the clean install worked!

Even if I have used revo or the iobit uninstaller I alway check if there are any leftovers in the program folder and in the folder in Documents&settings.

There usually aren't - but anyway - just to be sure :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Thanks! Getting back now. I know Smart Defrag runs but I don't know that I had a setting. However I thought that Smart Defrag was only involved with files that don't usually get defraged, $MFT, etc. But let me go on. I know what you mean by "clean uninstall" I usually do that most times myself as a good practice. Even going into the registry and using FIND. I learned a few years back to treat that registry with respect. But this time I had uninstalled REVO thinking I had a great uninstaller in iOBit. So I just used the uninstallerst that came with the program. Then I reinstalled with files downloaded from another computer just in case something was funky with the ones on this computer. Afer reinstallation I went through a few settings, particularly in the defrag program. Shut down, counted, turned on and the Boot Defrag worked. Now to stand the test of time and see if it remains. Thanks so much for your assistance. ":-D jack :lol:

I didn't mean Smart Defrag "was" involve with unaccessable files, what I meant to say was I thought Smart Defrag did not touch the files associated with Boot Defrag. So sorry! ":-D

Archived