IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Internet Boost not detecting my real network speed.

TJ8

Hello I have an Internet connection of around 18Mbits and an average download speed of around 2.2MB but when testing with Internet booster it only shows results around 800KB/S to 1.1MB/S.

Is it trying to test on a server that is far away from me or something? I do not want to optimize my Internet if it can't detect my real speed.

Any help?

Edit: Adding Screenshots and yes that upload speed is about average or maybe a bit above average in Australia. It's sad :(

http://i.imgur.com/8hKKO.png

http://i.imgur.com/Lw1AN.png

http://i.imgur.com/HsLLo.png

Hi TJ8... welcome here.

Nice post, thanks!!:wink: I wish all were as thorough! Here are my thoughts!

Perhaps the current network speed indicated in ASC (your last screenshot) is the "upload" speed and not the "download" speed as shown in your speedtest shot. 1.01 MB/S is typical of an ADSL LAN connection (which is not steady and constant but will fluctuate depending demands upon it). The download being 20 MBS and the upload 1MBs. This is actually a really good connection!:-)

Concerning the second screenshot displaying the downloading Window containing the "us.download.nvidia location..." and the speeds shown within it... there are many limitations involved, including those of the server and its local network you are downloading from (its ability), the actual physical lines, the level of service you have chosen on your ADSL modem (in your case), etc... that will affect download speeds. So the speed shown is only the speed that you a receiving the information at and if the connection on your end is so much greater (as is the case)... the limitation is on the other end... or somewhere in-between as the same factors will be on the other end.

So I suspect it is displaying your detected upload speed... not your download speed.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Oops... I forgot to answer your question.

Is it trying to test on a server that is far away from me or something? I do not want to optimize my Internet if it can't detect my real speed.

It is displaying your upload speed... not your download speed. (I surmise)

Considering your OS and fine connection speed (I bet you could pay more and get faster if you want but wouldn't see an improvement in you personal experience)...

The optimization tool will probably make little if any noticable difference.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

(I bet you could pay more and get faster if you want but wouldn't see an improvement in you personal experience)...

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Well the average speed in Australia is like 8Mbits so I am extremely lucky. The highest you can get without going full fiber optic, Cable Internet (Hella expensive compared to the rest of the world) is like 30MBit and like 1.5Mbit Upload.

For my Internet alone it costs $90 a month.

Our government is so backwards its not funny >_>

Nice post, thanks!!:wink: I wish all were as thorough! Here are my thoughts!

So I suspect it is displaying your detected upload speed... not your download speed.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Your welcome.

I really don't believe it's displaying Upload because I have never gotten over 0.9Mbit up. Also it says MB/s which means Bytes not Bits. So it has to be referring to my Download as I only get like 110KB/s upload.

Anyway when you said an ADSL connection (I have ADSL 2+) is not constant and unstable that is definitely not true in my case. My Internet connection has never dropped on it's own without any fault, (Storm, flood, maintenance) and it always stays around 1.7MB-2.3MB I rarely ever see it lower (other than when a download starts and it has to get to its peek or the file hosting site has limitations or a poor quality server)

But notice in your own shot. These are your self-reported speeds. Mbps = Mega Bytes Per Second... I am sorry, perhaps there is some of a language barrier?

http://i.imgur.com/8hKKO.png

Perhaps it is better to wait for some others to also post?

Thanks!:-) Its almost 2am here:wink:.

Sincerely,

-Mel

live long and prosper!

But notice in your own shot. These are your self-reported speeds. Mbps = Mega Bytes Per Second... I am sorry, perhaps there is some of a language barrier?

Sincerely,

-Mel

live long and prosper!

Actually the Lowercase b is Bits so I am getting 19Megabits and 2.3MBytes

MBps = Megabytes Mbps = Megabits

Hi Guys,

ASC shows the download speed.

The variance is because of the location of the test server.

Static test servers do not reflect the actual speed if the testing distance is too big, as in the case of the above test.

I am not sure of the exact location of the test server, but it seems that it is not in AU. :wink:

TTL value is the decider in those circumstances.

You can get very good information about broadband connections for all OSes at www.speedguide.net.

Cheers.

Okay thank you for that, now even if it only detect my Internet speed as 1MB should doing the Internet boost ***** it up and make it go worst or does it do the exact same thing no-matter what you speed it?

As you may know, ASC's Internet Booster only apply tweaks to FF, Chrome and Opera for Win7, so you can try and if you do not like the result, you can always revert back.

TCP/IP and IE are already optimized (they say so, but not exactly.) for Vista, w7, and W8.

To answer your question, only trying will show you the difference.

Cheers.

Actually the Lowercase b is Bits so I am getting 19Megabits and 2.3MBytes

MBps = Megabytes Mbps = Megabits

Hi TJ8... thank you for the clarification! :-) MBps is an abbreviation for Megabytes per second, whereas Mbps is an abbreviation for megabits per second. Eight megabits equal one Megabyte.

Thank you for this Enoskype!

Hi Guys,

ASC shows the download speed.

The variance is because of the location of the test server.

Static test servers do not reflect the actual speed if the testing distance is too big, as in the case of the above test.

I am not sure of the exact location of the test server, but it seems that it is not in AU. :wink:

TTL value is the decider in those circumstances.

You can get very good information about broadband connections for all OSes at www.speedguide.net.

Cheers.

As to your last question TJ8...

Okay thank you for that, now even if it only detect my Internet speed as 1MB should doing the Internet boost ***** it up and make it go worst or does it do the exact same thing no-matter what you speed it?
I doubt you will notice any change but if you are curious... It is unlikely it will ***** it up, but you can always reset the settings in that eventuality.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived