IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Windows cannot find asctray.exe [SOLVED. The reason was a 3rd party software settings.]

TerryM

Since ASC SystemCare 6.0 Pro (paid license) was installed automatically a few days ago I get the following error each time I boot my Windows 7 Pro system...

Windows cannot find C:\.................\asctray.exe

Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again.

See attached snapshot.

I tried re-installing ASC 6 and the problem did not change.

What should I do to correct this problem?

Hi TerryM,

Please click Start menu button -> input msconfig -> press Enter -> click Startup ->enlarge Startup Item to show all items below clearly -> check whether there is Advanced SystemCare 5, and make a screenshot of the window to show it to us clearly

Guide to make screenshot: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Here are two screenshots for your reference.

Thanks for your time.

Since ASC SystemCare 6.0 Pro (paid license) was installed automatically a few days ago I get the following error each time I boot my Windows 7 Pro system...

Windows cannot find C:\.................\asctray.exe

Did you do a 'Search' in File-Manager, to determine if the asctray.exe file is where it should be.

It may be there but is corrupted?

So you need to determine if has been moved, renamed, deleted or corrupted.

If you can not find it at another location and move it back,

then I would suggest you do a clean Re-install, by Un-installing ASC first before install.

Windows cannot find asctray.exe

Screenshot attached.

The window is sorted on the Command column.

There is no entry for ASC5 tray so I guess the start command is coming from somewhere else.

How do I find and eliminate that?

Terry

Hi TerryM,

Please click Start menu button -> input msconfig -> press Enter -> click Startup ->enlarge Startup Item to show all items below clearly -> check whether there is Advanced SystemCare 5, and make a screenshot of the window to show it to us clearly

Guide to make screenshot: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Here are two screenshots for your reference.

Thanks for your time.

Did you do a 'Search' in File-Manager, to determine if the asctray.exe file is where it should be.

It may be there but is corrupted?

So you need to determine if has been moved, renamed, deleted or corrupted.

If you can not find it at another location and move it back,

then I would suggest you do a clean Re-install, by Un-installing ASC first before install.

Toppack, you are missing the point. The ASC6 tray is working fine. It is the ASC5 tray that is causing the problem. Something is still trying to start the ASC5 tray even though ASC5 was replaced by ASC6.

Thanks for the clarification.

The 'Boot-time' Auto-load of ASC-5 is still active,

because it was Not disabled, before installing ASC-6.

(those will not be deleted if still activated)

Others have had same problem with Scheduled runs as well as Bootup runs not being disabled first, before Uninstall.

(Those auto-load commands must be stored in a different registry location)

I have always disabled Bootup-loading, of all 3rd-party software, so I have not encountered this problem.

So, I'm not sure, but I think you need to diable those functions somehow.

Probably reinstalling ASC-5 and disabling those auto-loads may be the easiest way.

That seems like a possible solution to the problem.

Another easier solution would be if the company would just tell me where to zap it in the Registry.

I had no control over the install process because it was done by an automatic upgrade.

Is there a place I can re-download the ASC5 install so I can re-install it and then properly un-install it?

Thanks!

You can call off the testing folks.

I found the problem by scanning the Registry for the program name.

A long time ago, the ASC5 startup was changed to "deferred" status using the WinPatrol Plus software package. I took it off that list and that solved the problem.

Sorry for the confusion.

I have found the problem thanks indirectly to you.

I scanned the Registry for the program name and found it in the "deferred" startup list of WinPatrol Plus.

I removed it from there and that was that.

Thanks again.

<!-- / message -->

Archived