IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Installed Windows 8

masterblaster

I installed Windows 8 on top of Windows 7. Thought that would be safest.

First problem was I had to turn off UAC which stopped me from doing almost anything.

OS didn't recognize my Mad Katz Cyborg v7 Programmable Keyboard at all which made everything else difficult going forward. My on-board VIA 7.1 sound chip isn't supported, and getting Windows 8 to properly setup my Corsair Vengeance® 1500 Dolby 7.1 USB Gaming Headset took hours.

Even re-installing drivers was a hassle. I had to run two of the driver install programs in Windows 7 comparability mode to get them installed. I fixed 99% of the issues but not all programs have W8 drivers yet (what were they waiting for?). I have one very important utility that will not run at all (Rollback RX).

The boot times have been greatly reduced and my games are faster (wow). It's my understanding that this OS is leaner and meaner due to it being basically the same OS for tablets.

The Metro interface isn't as complicated as I read about but not very useful either. Getting to the normal desktop is very easy to do however.

I installed IObit's StartMenu8. It helped me in the transition. Accessing the programs through Metro seems awkward. Maybe I'm missing something.

You are not missing anything masterblaster.

Since you said that you have turned UAC off in the real sense (as in W7, which can only be done by a registry change, or just by putting the slider down), can you use the Metro function?

Cheers.

Can I use the Metro function, yes. Do I want to or understand it's advantage, no.

I like the looks of it but I don't clearly see it's advantage yet. I think I need to give it more time.

For example, I can't see how I can do all things from Metro. I need to go to the normal desktop to do much of what I do. for example, adding shortcuts to Metro seems awkward. Some programs didn't show from the list of what I could add (Ccleaner for example).

Shutting down was a 3 step process which seemed cumbersome (unless I'm doing it wrong). It took me a while to figure out the second to the last screen was sort of a window shade that had to be rolled up to get to the EXIT symbol.

For the record, I installed W8-64 on top of W7-64.

I've read that Should work with no problems.

I think it's just that some Driver-software and programs are not fully compatible with W-8.

Which has Always been true with new OS versions, when they are first released.

Heh!

I'll stick with my Windows 7 64bit on a 64bit machine, thank you very much! :mrgreen:

Reliable, works great, fast, no driver problems and I can run 64bit Browsers no worries! Pale Moon64bit for example.

When and if you lot get 8 sorted out,I might have a peek,but right now the powers that be say that 8 is only an intermediary step before Windows 9 which is the next best thing since spaghetti! :mrgreen: ....remember Vista everyone? :shock:

-Cowboy

I've read that Should work with no problems.

I think it's just that some Driver-software and programs are not fully compatible with W-8.

Which has Always been true with new OS versions, when they are first released.

right now the powers that be say that 8 is only an intermediary step before Windows 9

-Cowboy

Yes, you may be correct.

I'll probably put W-8 on one computer,

since it will be fun to learn about it's differences.

But I'll not be in any Rush to do even that.

I want to read reviews, on the released final version, first. ;-)

Every OS has Improvements (service-packs) that are added after release, so I might wait for SP-1. :lol:

Well, I did a fresh install of W8-64 last night.

Not sure how the format worked as it only took seconds???

This seemed to work much better. Everything is working now. A few of the drivers are generic because the manufacturer has not released W8 drivers yet. But everything is working good and faster.

I am also a lover of W7. Best OS ever. But I'm really liking the boot speed and over speed of W8 which is much better than W7. To be honest, I like dinking with stuff. I like playing with metro.

Well my fresh install of W8 seemed to be the way to go. No issues at all. The format sort of threw me though because it seemed to take seconds rather than 15 minutes. Odd, but my rig was cleaned of leftover everything.

I have been trying to make sense of Metro. What it's real purpose is. I know it's really for a touch screen but beyond that. I have come to this conclusion. Metro is simply a full screen replacement for the start menu. No more, no less. The start menu seemed more intuitive and natural than switching screens back and forth between Metro and your normal desktop.

I installed a Start menu replacement for W8. My computer now runs much like W7 but boots and runs faster. I like it.

There are still some programs that will not run in W8 and hardware that doesn't have W8 drivers yet. I don't understand that. It's like they were surprised by W8.

For example, I have a Bigfoot Killer network card. They just released with W8 drivers yesterday. Why yesterday? Don't tell me they have been developing this driver since the W8 test release and they just not got it right days after the final release of W8.

Well my fresh install of W8 seemed to be the way to go. No issues at all. The format sort of threw me though because it seemed to take seconds rather than 15 minutes. Odd, but my rig was cleaned of leftover everything.

I have been trying to make sense of Metro. What it's real purpose is. I know it's really for a touch screen but beyond that. I have come to this conclusion. Metro is simply a full screen replacement for the start menu. No more, no less. The start menu seemed more intuitive and natural than switching screens back and forth between Metro and your normal desktop.

I installed a Start menu replacement for W8. My computer now runs much like W7 but boots and runs faster. I like it.

There are still some programs that will not run in W8 and hardware that doesn't have W8 drivers yet. I don't understand that. It's like they were surprised by W8.

For example, I have a Bigfoot Killer network card. They just released with W8 drivers yesterday. Why yesterday? Don't tell me they have been developing this driver since the W8 test release and they just not got it right days after the final release of W8.

Some of this is disturbing... perhaps it is another Vista-like snafu in the making?

Metro is simply a full screen replacement for the start menu. No more, no less

The assumption being that the majority of users will have touch screens soon?

Which one did you choose?

I don't even like the implications of the word "Metro" as so much of the world is not "Metro" nor will it be anytime soon.

Thank you masterblaster... I was thinking of upgrading soon, but I will wait and see... If it ain't broke, don't fix it!:mrgreen:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I was thinking of upgrading soon, but I will wait and see... If it ain't broke, don't fix it!:mrgreen:

I Agree, If you Need a Touch-screen , for some reason, I can understand getting W-8,

but if Not, I can Not. :wink:

Personally I don't like Finger-prints all over my monitors! :lol:

Archived