IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Question about the anti-virus engine in Advanced SystemCare with AntiVirus 2013

Hello,

I have a question about the anti-virus engine that's used in Advanced SystemCare with AntiVirus 2013.

My understanding is that it uses Bitdefender's engine, is that correct?

If that is correct, can you please tell me if Bitdefender is related in any way to McAfee? I don't think they are related, but I just want to make sure.

The reason I'm asking is because I installed Advanced SystemCare with AntiVirus 2013 about three weeks ago, and today, while going through folders in my C drive, I noticed that I now have a McAfee folder that was not there before, so I'm just wondering if it might be related to my installation of Advanced SystemCare with AntiVirus 2013.

enoskype,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Here's what I found . . .

After checking the creation dates, I discovered that the strange McAfee folder was created 8 days after my installation of Advanced SystemCare with Antivirus, so it's clear that they have nothing to do with each other.

I am now going to contact McAfee and see if they can explain why it's on my computer. After I get it figured out, I'll come back here and update this thread in case anyone else ever runs into the same problem.

Thanks for all of your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I wrote to McAfee, and with their help, I figured out where their folder came from. So I thought I'd come back here and post an update — just in case anyone else ever runs into the same situation: Sometime ago, I downloaded and installed Java, and the McAfee folder was included as a part of the Java download. (McAfee has some type of partnership with Java, and certain McAfee software is wrapped with the Java downloads.)

I wasn't happy to find this out, though, because I am very careful about deselecting any pre-marked options, and I always opt out of everything that I am able to, so apparently, Java slipped the McAfee stuff in without any kind of notice and without giving me any option to opt out of it. Not good. Not good at all. :-x

Hi Johnny

Thank you!!

Yes unfortunately that is a very common practice these days - but it doesn't make it any less underhanded.

Cheers

solbjerg

Well, I wrote to McAfee, and with their help, I figured out where their folder came from. So I thought I'd come back here and post an update — just in case anyone else ever runs into the same situation: Sometime ago, I downloaded and installed Java, and the McAfee folder was included as a part of the Java download. (McAfee has some type of partnership with Java, and certain McAfee software is wrapped with the Java downloads.)

I wasn't happy to find this out, though, because I am very careful about deselecting any pre-marked options, and I always opt out of everything that I am able to, so apparently, Java slipped the McAfee stuff in without any kind of notice and without giving me any option to opt out of it. Not good. Not good at all. :-x

Yes unfortunately that is a very common practice these days - but it doesn't make it any less underhanded.

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, many vendors even try to hide those opt-out check-boxes and make them very small text so they will less obvious.

Really is aggrivating! :x

Note - I do remember seeing the opt-out check-box in the last Java update we did, though.

Note - I do remember seeing the opt-out check-box in the last Java update we did, though.

Now I'm seriously tempted to uninstall Java so that I can then reinstall it just to see how I missed seeing it the first time! I can't believe I allowed that to happen.

By the way, Toppack, when you updated Java, do you remember if you did a custom install? I'm wondering if, maybe, that's why I didn't see it (because, sometimes, as you may know, in order to see the full list of opt-outs, you have to do a custom install, which I didn't do in that case. Ugh).

By the way, Toppack, when you updated Java, do you remember if you did a custom install? I'm wondering if, maybe, that's why I didn't see it (because, sometimes, as you may know, in order to see the full list of opt-outs, you have to do a custom install, which I didn't do in that case. Ugh).

I'm not sure, but I don't think it was a Custom install.

I just got an automatic update-notice and I don't think I had to do anything special.

I can't remember. Too many updates, under the bridge, since then. :lol:

Archived