IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Cannot open Excel .xls documents

jfruetel

I just installed the free ASC 6.0 and ran some of the Care, Toolbox and Turbo Boost features. But now, when I try to open Excel .xls documents, a pop-up screen trys to install the Windows Installer and hangs up. I have no problem opening Word or other documents.

I have Windows XP OS.

Any suggestions or solutions??

Hi jfruentel

If you could remember what applications and functions you tried out it would be good if you shared that information, please.

Have you tried the rescue center?

Cheers

solbjerg

I just installed the free ASC 6.0 and ran some of the Care, Toolbox and Turbo Boost features. But now, when I try to open Excel .xls documents, a pop-up screen trys to install the Windows Installer and hangs up. I have no problem opening Word or other documents.

I have Windows XP OS.

Any suggestions or solutions??

Here is what I did:

Care suite: ran all apps

Toolbox suite: deleted some cloned and empty folders

TurboBoost suite-- work mode:

* disabled viewing other computers on LAN, network file sharing, printer support, scanner and DC support, and themes manager.

* disabled Ati hot key poller and common client job manager service.

* disabled SMax4PNP MFC application.

* activated Advanced SystemCare Power Plan

That 'Cloned' file remover is a 'Real system Killer', if you are Not careful and don't Know what you are deleting! :cry:

I think it is the Most Dangerous utility in ASC.

I hope you kept a record of which files you deleted?

You will probably need to do a system Restore, from a system back-up.

Hi pladecalvo,

Please follow the instructions below to see how it works.

Please open ASC v6>> click "Rescue" icon on the top of the main interface >> choose one restore point under Rescue registry related changes (note: please select it according to the date, you should select a point which is before the problem happened) >> click "Undo Changes" button>> Reboot your computer to see how it works.

Thanks in advance.

Hi pladecalvo,

Please follow the instructions below to see how it works.

Please open ASC v6>> click "Rescue" icon on the top of the main interface >> choose one restore point under Rescue registry related changes (note: please select it according to the date, you should select a point which is before the problem happened) >> click "Undo Changes" button>> Reboot your computer to see how it works.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Cicely,

Point is, if I have to keep undoing what has been done on a 'clean' there isn't a lot of point doing a 'clean' in the first place. What has to be addressed is...why is it obviously deleting an important file from Exel during a routine clean?

Hi pladecalvo

It sure sounds like a scrutinizing of the settings may give the solution to this problem.

If you clean all the logs of the Office applications the programs may not work as you want them to.

Pay special attention to the Privacy and the Junk file settings.

There is also the possibility to place the application you do not want cleaned in the Ignore list.

Please read the manual or Usage of IObit Products!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Cicely,

Point is, if I have to keep undoing what has been done on a 'clean' there isn't a lot of point doing a 'clean' in the first place. What has to be addressed is...why is it obviously deleting an important file from Exel during a routine clean?

Hi pladecalvo

It sure sounds like a scrutinizing of the settings may give the solution to this problem.

If you clean all the logs of the Office applications the programs may not work as you want them to.

There is also the possibility to place the application you do not want cleaned in the Ignore list.

Please read the manual or Usage of IObit Products!

Cheers

solbjerg

It's all too complicated solbjerg!! ? We're not all computer geeks and I would imagine that all most of us want is to load the programme and let it maintain our computer. Some of us are just not technically savy enough to know that A will happen if B is not done. Nor are we confident enough to delve into the inner workings of the computer/programme to tick or un-tick things when we don't even understand what they are or what they do. Surely ASC should recognise a file that is imperative for a programme that you have on your computer and realise that if that file is removed, the programme will not work?? I mean...I don't have to tell my car not to lock the steering when I'm driving it....it knows not to do it. Similarly, ASC should know that a programme will not work if it removes 'file X' from it.

Hi pladecalvo

Ok you find it complicated to go through the settings and read the manual?

ASC/IObit cannot know the preference of every single user, this is why there are different settings to choose from as a user.

If the privacy is of paramount importance to a user, he will probably choose to have all records of his use deleted?

That this should keep Excel from opening is probably a bug, but it is easily worked around by using the settings or the Ignore list.

On the other hand I do not have the problem (OS XP sp.3)??

I'll grant you that the vast majority of users do not need to do that, but if you belong to the majority I think you should abstain from using the privacy option. This is also a possibility in the settings before running a scan.

If I were you I would run a scan with only Privacy ticked to ascertain if this was the cleaning that deprived you of Excel.

If it is then fix it.

If it isn't I would try if it is the Junk file cleaning that is the culprit by running only that and if it is then fix that.

Cheers

solbjerg

This is getting complicated!! Surely ASC should recognise a file that is imperative for a programme that you have on your computer?

Hi pladecalvo

In your comparison of your car and the program I just want to direct your attention to the fact that if you turn the key to the Off position while driving - you will lock the steering - and if you have drawn your handbrake very much you may not be alble to drive even though the car is started. :-)

I am certainly no computer geek - I got my first computer 15 years ago - I used it to play chess - it was primarily bought so that my children could learn to use it and could talk to their school mates about it.. I was in the beginning of my fifties then.

Cheers

solbjerg

It's all too complicated solbjerg!! ? We're not all computer geeks and I would imagine that all most of us want is to load the programme and let it maintain our computer. Some of us are just not technically savy enough to know that A will happen if B is not done. Nor are we confident enough to delve into the inner workings of the computer/programme to tick or un-tick things when we don't even understand what they are or what they do. Surely ASC should recognise a file that is imperative for a programme that you have on your computer and realise that if that file is removed, the programme will not work?? I mean...I don't have to tell my car not to lock the steering when I'm driving it....it knows not to do it. Similarly, ASC should know that a programme will not work if it removes 'file X' from it.

I always figured that it was either I learned to use the 'tools' available to do the Maintenance on my cars and my computers or pay someone else to do it.

That's what ASC is, a collection of low-cost Utility 'Tools', for maintaining your computer.

If you are Not Good with Tools, then you may need to Pay someone else to do it. :-?

Those Geeks Love to get Payed! :lol:

I always figured that it was either I learned to use the 'tools' available to do the Maintenance on my cars and my computers or pay someone else to do it.

...but I am paying someone else to repair the car! The mechanics name is 'ASC'. Unfortunately, the mechanic is asking ME how I want to repair the car when I don't understand how the car works. :shock::smile:

You should think of ASC as a 'Tool-Box',

with Adjustable-tools available for you to use, as you see-fit and need.

So if you do Not Adjust them with Settings or use the Wrong tools, you can get in trouble real fast. :???:

If you were expecting Fully Automatic tools, without any configuration settings, at that low price,

then that is Not what ASC is.

It isn't complicated.

Hi pladecalvo, all you have to do is go to the settings and uncheck the items.

By Solbjerg:

It is not complex.:shock:

As far as the car analogy, wouldn't it be good to understand the repair so that you are sure you aren't getting ripped off?

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. Many users enjoy and praise the fact that they can so easily "tailor" ASC to do exactly what they want it to!:smile: I am curious as to whether your expectations are realistic... considering the fact that ASC must extend around the world into many different system configurations... with so many different user skill levels and individual preferences?? Just because the defaults don't suit your needs, and you have to tailor it a bit... the power is in your hands. I am curious as to what your expectations were upon download... a software that was configured for your individual machine??

Hi pladecalvo & jfruetel,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Would you please kindly make a screenshot of the error message you got and send it to us so that we can check this issue clearly?

Guide for taking screenshot: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

By the way, if undo changes can fix this problem, please find and zip Log and Backup folder in "%appdata%\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V6", then send them to us for further check.

We will try our best to help you out of problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hi pladecalvo, all you have to do is go to the settings and uncheck the items.
I know Mel...the problem is, WHICH items. It's OK for you geeks but there are people (me obviouly :oops:) that look at something saying "Old Prefetch Data", "Menu Order Cache" or "IIS Log Files" and think....WTF!!!!

I am curious as to what your expectations were upon download... a software that was configured for your individual machine??
Not at all. Just one that would recognise an essential file in a world renown programme such as Exel. I just find it difficult to understand that, with all the bells an whistles within the ASC programme, it removes a file from the Exel programme without recognising that to do so would render the programme unusable.

Hi pladecalvo

%appdata%\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V6

is what you should copy and insert in Run

this will open C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V6

The reason is I think that it is the only place in the computer where the %appdata% command fits an address - I think the %% are called wildcards in this context.

Possibly you have to allow seeing hidden files in View in Folder Options in the control panel.

And you should then find the folders Cicely asks for and zip them and send them to her or to support@iobit.com

The log folder may be very large and if it is too large for attaching to this thread, you can either send it as e-mail attachment or divide it up by the dates the log files were made.

The main.ini file is in the same location

You can also there see if you have some of the previous program folders and check what they contain.

I do not have the same OS (mine XP) and I also have an older MsOffice (2003) but I have never had the problem you describe, therefore it is most probable that something is amiss in your install or in your settings.

This is what we are trying to determine what is.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. I use Excel every day

p.p.s. Do you have Excel set to check for updates every time it opens?

See!!! This is what I mean. Cicely, you are speaking a different language girl!!! :lol:

We are speaking the 'Computer & Software' Language! :wink:

I have difficulty learning More than One Language also,

so 'I Feel your Pain'. :-? :lol:

You got it bro!!! I don't think these geeks understand!! solbjerg (bless him) tried to explain what Cicely meant....and it didn't make any more sense than what Cicely said. I think I'll give up :mrgreen:

%appdata%\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V6

is what you should copy and insert in Run

this will open C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\IObit\Advanced SystemCare V6

The reason is I think that it is the only place in the computer where the %appdata% command fits an address - I think the %% are called wildcards in this context.

Possibly you have to allow seeing hidden files in View in Folder Options in the control panel.

And you should then find the folders Cicely asks for and zip them and send them to her or to support@iobit.com

The log folder may be very large and if it is too large for attaching to this thread, you can either send it as e-mail attachment or divide it up by the dates the log files were made.

The main.ini file is in the same location

You can also there see if you have some of the previous program folders and check what they contain.

Ummmm....yeah, right!! :roll::lol:

Hi Toppack please

Is a folder still called a folder in Win 7 - is a file called a file?

Is the Run box still available in Win 7?

Does one use another method for using Run in Win 7?

Is the address of the %appdata the same in Win 7?

Have they really changed the OS all that much??

Does one copy and paste in the same way?

Is windows explorer working the same way?

Cheers

solbjerg

Archived