IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Registry Cleaner and Defrag Help needed

ShoeQueen

Hi All,

I'm looking for some help in running the registry cleaner in my Advanced SystemCare 6 Pro. It seems like no matter what I do, I end up screwing up my system and I have to rollback to an earlier setpoint. I will confess, I am not a big techie about this stuff any more - years ago I knew a bit more, but alas, my understanding of the registry is less than complete. Is there an "idiot" mode? Because everytime I use this I end up saying out loud "They need to make this idiot proof!" because at this point I, indeed, feel like an idiot, lol. Even a general list of what should not be scanned or repaired would be helpful.

Thanks for any help that you guys can give me. I look forward to reading the responses.

Hi ShoeQueen... welcome to the Iobit forums!

We will be happy to assist you!

Please slow down and take the time to describe the manner you are running ASC in (are you running it just as installed with the defaults, etc.)... that would be most helpful!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

I am not a big techie about this stuff any more - years ago I knew a bit more, but alas, my understanding of the registry is less than complete. Is there an "idiot" mode? Because everytime I use this I end up saying out loud "They need to make this idiot proof!"
Yes, I agree entirely ShoeQueen. The 'default' settings in ASC should be set so that it maintains the computers of idiots like you and I without us having to delve into what we don't understand to enable or disable this that or the other in order to stop the thing eating our systems.

Techies that know what they are doing have the option of 'tweaking' in the 'settings'. ...but it should be a question of 'opting in' rather than 'opting out'. Give us idiots an ASC that does good basic housekeeping with one click, not one that requires the user to have a degree in computer technology in order to prevent ASC causing the computer to freeze, lose programmes/files and generally fill the room with smoke and flames!!! :shock::lol:

Give us idiots an ASC that does good basic housekeeping with one click, not one that requires the user to have a degree in computer technology in order to prevent ASC causing the computer to freeze, lose programmes/files and generally fill the room with smoke and flames!!! :shock::lol:

LOL - thank you for that! Nice to know I'm not alone in these thoughts!

As for what I am running - I have the standard setup, nothing tweaked other than a few small things like leave my form-fill and passwords alone, and am running on Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have been trying to understand what 90% of the registry cleaning options even mean... I admit, I am a woman without a clue at this point.

I love how everything is customizable in the program, that is great. But the registry cleaning area is such a delicate thing, that I know I am completely out of my depth here.

I second the idea that the registry cleaning area needs to have some safe guards in it for less-adapt computer users, or at least big red letters that state "Delete this at your own peril!"

Any sort of reference, even a "Never delete these types of files" list would be great. It just seems like anytime I use the registry cleaner I regret it, and that's unfortunate because I'm sure it would work like a charm if there was some guidelines or warnings about what might happen if certain files get deleted.

I love ACS, except for this one area - and I supect that I must be in the same boat as some other users. Again, Thank You for any help you can provide, it is very appreciated! :-)

Hi ShoeQueen

Welcome to the forum

I think I must say that if one uses a "cleaning" program there is no way around having the users think about what settings to use and then try to make this as easy as possible for them to choose.

This may entail that users have to find out what words mean and that they think about what they want to achieve.

The "safe" setting is that NOTHING is chosen as default.

The program would then accomplish nothing.

But if you have decided for yourself that you do not care whether others can see what programs you have used or what internet sites you have looked on/visited - you should not utilize the "cleaning" of the function Privacy. If you want to use it - you HAVE to find out which items you do not want to "clean" away!

Several years ago the default setting in Junk files were to also "clean" the DNS cache,

This was a bad setting that later was abandoned so that DNS now isn't chosen as a default "cleaning" operation anymore.

I agree that some extra explanation would be good here and there, but there is no way around that it also is up to users to educate themselves on how to accomplish what they want.

We advocate constantly that users read the manual - and I am sure that many do, - but there are still quite a number that doesn't and just think that everything is taken care of for them no matter what they do.

Not so - and to achieve anything some input must be made by the user - remember we are all different.

I remember a friend of mine who years ago emptied his computer of everything, so that he at the end only had 48 Kb left in the computer and the only thing the computer could do was to show him his startup screen.

He clicked delete to everything despite all the warnings he got when he deleted necessary files in the computer.

I formatted his computer and installed Windows 97se again.

No program can take every possible action into account :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

LOL - thank you for that! Nice to know I'm not alone in these thoughts!

As for what I am running - I have the standard setup, nothing tweaked other than a few small things like leave my form-fill and passwords alone, and am running on Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have been trying to understand what 90% of the registry cleaning options even mean... I admit, I am a woman without a clue at this point.

I love how everything is customizable in the program, that is great. But the registry cleaning area is such a delicate thing, that I know I am completely out of my depth here.

I second the idea that the registry cleaning area needs to have some safe guards in it for less-adapt computer users, or at least big red letters that state "Delete this at your own peril!"

Any sort of reference, even a "Never delete these types of files" list would be great. It just seems like anytime I use the registry cleaner I regret it, and that's unfortunate because I'm sure it would work like a charm if there was some guidelines or warnings about what might happen if certain files get deleted.

I love ACS, except for this one area - and I supect that I must be in the same boat as some other users. Again, Thank You for any help you can provide, it is very appreciated! :-)

Hi All,

I'm looking for some help in running the registry cleaner in my Advanced SystemCare 6 Pro. It seems like no matter what I do, I end up screwing up my system and I have to rollback to an earlier setpoint. I will confess, I am not a big techie about this stuff any more - years ago I knew a bit more, but alas, my understanding of the registry is less than complete. Is there an "idiot" mode? Because everytime I use this I end up saying out loud "They need to make this idiot proof!" because at this point I, indeed, feel like an idiot, lol. Even a general list of what should not be scanned or repaired would be helpful.

Thanks for any help that you guys can give me. I look forward to reading the responses.

If you are asking about Registry cleaner, I would suggest you to choose RecoveryFix For Registry Cleaner Software. This software is completely save and secure. Because i have used this software many a times.

Yep! Agree entirely and have been saying as much in my last few posts.

Registry Clean

Hi ShoeQueen/Pladecalco

I am sorry to see you having problems with the registry cleaner. yes you are correct that the Registry is a very delicate area. For this reason I would suggest that you disable the Deep Clean in the Registry Fix settings (see attached screenshot) It is unnecessary and should really only be used to solve major issues. For most ordinary users it is unnecessary and dangerous.

Also if you set your Autocare (in Settings) to operate when computer is idle it will keep your registry clean without being aggressive and you should not have any further difficulties.

Hi ShoeQueen/Pladecalco

I am sorry to see you having problems with the registry cleaner. yes you are correct that the Registry is a very delicate area. For this reason I would suggest that you disable the Deep Clean in the Registry Fix settings (see attached screenshot) It is unnecessary and should really only be used to solve major issues. For most ordinary users it is unnecessary and dangerous.

Also if you set your Autocare (in Settings) to operate when computer is idle it will keep your registry clean without being aggressive and you should not have any further difficulties.

This is exactly what ShoeQueen and I are talking about. When computer illiterates like us see things that promise to...

'...burrow through the registry to identify and repair errors, improve operating system performance and stability and prevent Windows crashes....', we think.. 'WOW! that's just what I want and we tick the box'. What we need is something alongside that box that we so eagerly want to check that says...

'WARNING!

This function is unnecessary and should really only be used to solve major issues. For most ordinary users it is unnecessary and dangerous.'

...but ASC seems to take it for granted that we are all computer boffins. What I'm trying to get over here is that, if you have the level of computer knowledge that is required to operate ASC efficiently and it would seem, safely, you probably don't need ASC to maintain your system anyway. The type of people that need programmes to keep their systems running efficiently are the type of people like me and ShoeQueen, who have nightmares when people start talking about MRU's, IIS logs, DNS Cashe and Prefetch files. :shock:

I feel that ASC should have something that says...'Do not use unless you know what you are doing'.

ASC needs an 'IDIOT MODE' that will do basic, safe housekeeping without wiping out important files that are needed for major programmes.

Hi pladecalvo

I just want to say that I very often have to investigate what an acronym stands for, they are using an abundant amount of acronyms :-) everywhere it seems - like the doctors that still use Latin for precise diagnose I suppose.

Cheers

solbjerg

This is exactly what ShoeQueen and I are talking about. When computer illiterates like us see things that promise to...

'...burrow through the registry to identify and repair errors, improve operating system performance and stability and prevent Windows crashes....', we think.. 'WOW! that's just what I want and we tick the box'. What we need is something alongside that box that we so eagerly want to check that says...

'WARNING!

This function is unnecessary and should really only be used to solve major issues. For most ordinary users it is unnecessary and dangerous.'

...but ASC seems to take it for granted that we are all computer boffins. What I'm trying to get over here is that, if you have the level of computer knowledge that is required to operate ASC efficiently and it would seem, safely, you probably don't need ASC to maintain your system anyway. The type of people that need programmes to keep their systems running efficiently are the type of people like me and ShoeQueen, who have nightmares when people start talking about MRU's, IIS logs, DNS Cashe and Prefetch files. :shock:

I feel that ASC should have something that says...'Do not use unless you know what you are doing'.

ASC needs an 'IDIOT MODE' that will do basic, safe housekeeping without wiping out important files that are needed for major programmes.

Pladecalvo

I understand your frustration. Similar matters have already been brought to Iobits attention in previous threads and they are looking at the matter with regard to wording on GUI and warnings/suggestions. So your concerns may bring the issue to the fore again.

However, it is impossible for any software company to cover all posibilities despite their best efforts and intentions. So, unfortunately, sometimes the only way you discover that something is not a good idea,is when you try it and it causes problems.

I hope that through the Forum that you will become more familiar with the various processes of ASC and will become more confident as a result.

Archived