IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Thank-you Development Team

Since installing ASC Ultimate beta - it never detected tracking cookies - ever.

My ASC AV 2013 did detect tracking cookies - so that is what I used for getting rid of those pesky cookies.

I used ASC Ultimate beta for all my other Scanning needs (registry, junk, etc)

My sincere thanks to the troubleshooters who read and tackled my issue over these months since the initial beta release.

Best regards,

Will

which websites have Tracking Cookies??

One question (Feedback):

We All want to know "which websites install tracking cookies".

Why have I never seen a feature on software like ASC (or any other) that TELLS US Which Site We Got the Tracking Cookie From?

Then we can decide if we wish to avoid those sites or at least treat how we deal with cookies from those sites.

If IObit dealt with this simple issue - IObit would be - I think - The First.

Thank-you

We All want to know "which websites install tracking cookies."

Hi, Immaculens. Pretty much every site on the web installs cookies of one sort or another, especially commercial sites. Don't worry, though. They are not malware, and they are not harmful in any way.

Why have I never seen a feature on software like ASC (or any other) that TELLS US Which Site We Got the Tracking Cookie From?

If you read the names of the cookies, the cookies themselves, in most cases, usually give an indication (by their names) of where they came from.

Then we can decide if we wish to avoid those sites or at least treat how we deal with cookies from those sites.

If you really want to avoid cookies, the only real solution is to avoid going on the Internet. There are programs that you can use and browser settings that you can adjust to filter most cookies out, but in reality, it truly isn't that big of a deal. Like I said, cookies are not harmful in any way.

If IObit made a big deal about the issue, they would then be accused of making scareware, since they would be focusing on what are, essentially, non-threats.

'Tracking-cookies' are different than the normal cookies, that most websites have.

They keep track of what websites you visit and then usually sends related advertisments to your email-address, that it also collects.

There are also other things they can do, but all of them are Invasive to privacy. :x

They are considered almost as Bad as 'keyloggers' and 'spyware' malware.

The difficulty is for a security program to determine which cookies are Tracking and which are Not. :?

Therefore it is Difficult to Block or Remove them without also disabling Good-cookies.

Well precisely Toppack - I'm only referring to "Tracking Cookies" which the ASC scanners routinely detect as "Malware" because as you say - they track which sites we surf.

A cookie's name in my experience might 'hint' as to which website it came from, but in the majority of cases I have little or no idea what website these "Tracking" cookies have come from, and much less do I know which "Pages" of the websites these tracking cokies are found...

The difficulty is for a security program to determine which cookies are Tracking and which are Not. :?

Therefore it is Difficult to Block or Remove them without also disabling Good-cookies.

But many do determine which are tracking cookies - including the Malware scanner of ASC. I merely want the results to show which website/website page I got them from. ASC developers do not have to do anything more than that - I'll determine myself if I wish to avoid that site - or - adjust my cookie settings accordingly for those particular sites.

I merely want the results to show which website/website page I got them from.

I think that would have to be part a security program that runs in backgound, constantly monitoring all internet activity,

and the utilities in ASC are Not designed to do that.

It would need to be part of a complete Anti-virus program.

I think that would have to be part a security program that runs in backgound, constantly monitoring all internet activity,

and the utilities in ASC are Not designed to do that.

It would need to be part of a complete Anti-virus program.

Luckily ASC has a fully functioning Anti-Virus program. :wink:

My biggest ongoing question I have - wouldn't it be good to see which sites/pages give us tracking cookies?

I cannot be the only person since the 'dawn of tracking cookies' who would want to know which sites to avoid.

IObit, Norton, and various other software programs do have "Surfing Protection" which guards us by detecting malicious web-sites.

So, how about expanding it for Tracking Cookies, so at least we would know 'after the fact' (after the Malware scan) which sites/pages the tracking cookies came from.

If security programs including ASC AV know which sites are malicious, surely they can tell us 'after the fact' which sites serve tracking cookies. Then, ASC can collect that info and voila - we have a grey-list of tracking cookie site.

'Tracking-cookies' are different than the normal cookies, that most websites have. They keep track of what websites you visit and then usually sends related advertisements to your email-address, that it also collects. There are also other things they can do, but all of them are Invasive to privacy.

Toppack, there are several types of cookies, yes; but tracking cookies are one of the most common. Their main purpose is to track what websites you visit (and how often), and they are used to collect data that is used for advertising. And yes, it can be argued that they are an invasion of privacy, but they are not harmful in any way, and they pose no danger to your computer or to your online security.

They are considered almost as Bad as 'keyloggers' and 'spyware' malware.

Sorry to bust your bubble, Toppack, but that is 100-percent false. Comparing tracking cookies to keyloggers and spyware/malware is simply ludicrous. They are not even close to being the same thing, and you are doing nothing but spreading false information and causing newbies to have unnecessary concerns by stating otherwise.

My biggest ongoing question I have - wouldn't it be good to see which sites/pages give us tracking cookies? I cannot be the only person since the 'dawn of tracking cookies' who would want to know which sites to avoid.

Pretty much every commercial website and every website that has banner ads of any sort will give you tracking cookies. You would have to avoid going almost everywhere if you wish to avoid tracking cookies.

http://forums.iobit.com/images/icons/icon14.gif Hi Mel

As I suspected you are able to pick up several cookies from just one site, which can make the pinpointing-cookie-address-report a very large one I think. The definition list do keep out the the cookies this list has found is malware from the general critera chosen for the list. This list is already quite large. I think it is an ongoing battle to keep out the most invasive cookies akin to the fight we voluntary moderators and administrators are fighting to keep this forum free of spam. We ban a lot of "members" that are generated by spam-bots, quite irritating but we have no other option.

We also originately got IObit to agree to keep this forum free from advertising, this detracts a bit from the possible earning for Iobit but we have a forum that isn't plastered with advertising links.

Unfortunately we cannot extend this to the general Internet - some advertising is useful and it is of course also subject to each individuals preference :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

About all cookies, including tracking cookies. This is an opensource page but a good one.

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

One question (Feedback):

We All want to know "which websites install tracking cookies".

Thank-you

Firefox addons (which may work with IE and/or Chrome) "Do Not Track Plus" and "Ghostery" both show the tracking cookies on a webpage. Ghostery also gives you the ability to block or not the tracking cookies it finds a webpage. If you block a tracking cookie on one webpage it is auto blocked by Ghostery on all web pages you visit. Having said that are the two addons perfect and do they find all the tracking cookies? Probably not but they do go a long way in minimizing the active tracking cookies stored on your computer.

Hi, Immaculens. Pretty much every site on the web installs cookies of one sort or another, especially commercial sites. Don't worry, though. They are not malware, and they are not harmful in any way.

If you read the names of the cookies, the cookies themselves, in most cases, usually give an indication (by their names) of where they came from.

If you really want to avoid cookies, the only real solution is to avoid going on the Internet. There are programs that you can use and browser settings that you can adjust to filter most cookies out, but in reality, it truly isn't that big of a deal. Like I said, cookies are not harmful in any way.

If IObit made a big deal about the issue, they would then be accused of making scareware, since they would be focusing on what are, essentially, non-threats.

I totally diagree with the idea that tracking cookies are no big deal?

1. They track you.

2. That means the cookies know what webpages you go to.

3. This information is used by Marketing people to bombard you with all kinds of spam and unwanted advertising

4. This information is also used by the Malware distributors to do all kinds of nasty things like Phishing as an example.

The more people know about your browsing habits the more it can be used against you to your detriment. Yes the cookies themselves are harmless but they enable Marketing people to bombard you with needless junk and for the bad guys/gals to imrpove their success rate. This is not harmless.

Firefox addons (which may work with IE and/or Chrome) "Do Not Track Plus" and "Ghostery" both show the tracking cookies on a webpage. Ghostery also gives you the ability to block or not the tracking cookies it finds a webpage. If you block a tracking cookie on one webpage it is auto blocked by Ghostery on all web pages you visit.....

Holy Crap - Thanks for sharing! I've been using Ad-Block Plus on FF & Chrome for yrs but never thought to look for tracking cookie blockers. These two programs are exactly what Norton, IObit, McCaffee, etc, etc, should be offering - because they have the know-how and resources.

Thanks!

remembering that my original post was thanking IObit developers for fixing a bug in ASC Ultimate beta where it was not detecting tracking cookies.

After installing the two tracking cookie blockers (whatever they are called) - I just ran a Malware scan and it found 33 tracking cookies.

1. On one had - I'm pleased the ASC U scan detected 33 tracking cookies

2. I have activated (yesterday) in the ASC U the 'auto-care' which supposedly scans for various things when the system is 'idle'. I only selected it to scan two things: malware, and privacy sweep.

I'm quite surprised it did not detect & delete tracking cookies during idle times since my last scan yesterday... I'll monitor this further... maybe 'auto-care' detects and quarantines but does not delete??

I've just now gone back to cnn.com where oodles of trackers were found (9) and then I did another malware scan and it found 'zero' tracking cookies, so I assume the two add-ons are doing their job.

tested agin - going to a site I'd never been to - http://www.nytimes.com where the blockers found 7 trackers. Ran a malware scan - zero t-cookies found.

I do not know if the ASC U 'auto-care' feature is doing its job, yet.

Archived