IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Drive Cloning Software ?

Toppack

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have been looking in the wrong place but I could not find any free Paragon software that included a drive-Cloner?

I think I will try another program though, to see if it has more options and control of drive-letter-lables, than Macrium-Reflect has.

Toppack

Did you see my edit to previous post.

I think that Cloner is just a matter of terminology. Some call it Disc Imaging.

If you read the description of Paragon it shows that it makes an exact image of your drive including hidden partitions and even resizes the partitions of the new drive to reflect the mirror image.

I cannot see a difference between that and cloning, but I am open to correction.

Well, I'm not sure ??

I know that sometime Back-up Only software is Also called 'system-Imaging software'.

To me System-imaging and Disk-Cloning are Not the Same thing.

(W-7 has a System-Imaging utility but it can Not Clone disk)

I did not see where they said that 'Paragon B/R' also copied the System -partition.

Did I miss that?

Paragon Backup & Recovery 10.0.17.13908

Paragon Software Group - 103.02MB (Non-Commercial Freeware)

Description

Technical

Comments

Paragon Backup & Recovery generates a backup of your data including operating system, application and personal files. The backup target can be another internal hard-drive, external storage such as CD/DVDs and portable disks, network storage as well as secured hidden partitions. Every file is copied sector-by-sector. A boot sector copy within the backup makes it easy to move from an old to a new hard-drive as the operating system doesn’t need to be re-installed. During recovery partition sizes are automatically adjusted if the new disk-drive has a different size. Paragon Backup & Recovery now supports SSD Drives and hard-disks larger than 2TB. E-Mailing can be set up to inform about the status of backup or recovery.

When I was doing my investigations, I also found this whole Cloning/Imaging thing to be confusing enough. However for me if a program makes a complete copy of your existing disc, including OS, hidden partitions and Data then as far as I can see that is a clone/A mirror image.

Okay, .........................

It's my understanding that 'System-Image' copies are a Compressed copy, like Back-up copies,

and can Only be Restored back to the physical-drive they were copied From.

Since it is really just a Large Compressed-file, it can Not be restored to a different physical drive, and can not have the required data for Boot-up from the new drive, which is what Cloning does.

System-Images are good for restoring a corrupted Registry, but Not for replacing the Boot drive.

Well, I could Not Wait 'til Christmas! :oops:

I needed to further test my 'new found' Cloning Skills. :roll:

So, I found a new Velocirapter drive, at a very good price, and ordered it. :grin:

It's a 500.GB, so I will not need to worry about the size-limit I encountered with the 750.GB drive.

Since the cloning function in Macrium-Reflect did a great job, I'll continue to use it.

I never recieved a reply from Paragon, with the code numbers, for their free version. :???:

Toppack

Sorry to hear you got such a poor response from Paragon. I receive regular emails from them telling me of improvements and updates. Maybe they will come through still. However Macrium, has a good rep also....so hopefully all will go well.

I first thought maybe Paragon's reply got blocked by the Spam-blocker at our email-server, but No-Joy checking there either.

So, maybe they have 'Heard about Me' Already! :lol:

I noticed that the space used on new clone drive was about 6.GB Less than space used on cloned drive. :shock:

So, I assume that means that there was 6.GB of Junk, on old drive,

that did not need to be copied ???

Since Everything seems to Be there and operational, with No problems.

I just can Not figure out what could have tide-up 6.GB ? :?: :roll:

That is a Lot of space, for Nothing Usable! :shock:

Toppack

It sounds very suspiciously like the size used by Shadow Files. Are you sure the Shadow Files got transferred to the Clone.

To view the exact amount of storage used by shadow files on every hard drive attached to your system, you can run this command in the Command Prompt window:. You’ll need to run it as Administrator.

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Ah, I figured it out!

The size numbers reported in Macrium-Reflect are not the same as the numbers reported in Windows Disk-manager. :roll:

(I was using one from each for my totals, one before clone and one after)

I don't know which is more correct, but at least I know what happened to the 6.GB. :grin:

Archived