IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

reoccurring registry entries

neutrino

I have registry entries reoccurring after they have been cleaned by ASC. These seem to be relatively benign entries for file extensions Xaml, Xbap and an XPSviewer.document. I'm guessing these belong to Silverlight and NETframework.

I have both programs on my computer.

Three questions:

Why are these file extensions being flagged as unused?

Why do they keep coming back?

Or is something else going on that I need to be concerned about?

Hi Neutrino

An unused file extension is one that you are not able to run. I.e. you dont have the program to run it. You probably uninstalled the program and you still have files of that extension.

However, Programs can make extensions only they can run but might not set that file to associate with it. Be careful when deleting these.

Even though you uninstalled a program there can be remnants left behind and these could be responsible for the entries recurring. Also, there could have been plugins and or browser extensions or toolbars installed when you downloaded the programs you have now uninstalled. those would keep creating new registry entries.

I presume you have run full Malware and AV scans.

Run ASC Process explorer and try and identify the Processes and or service which may be causing the problem

I ran the Process Manager but that didn't tell me much that was useful. I do have the FireFox Silverlight 5.1 plugin installed. Also, the Windows add/remove programs list includes NetFrameworks 3.5 SP1 that was installed back in 2005 although I have no idea what it does or why I need it. But that would explain the extensions reoccurring.

Since I appear to have both these programs, should ASC be deleting the file extensions used by those two programs as unused? Or am I missing something obvious?

I had run full scans of IMF1.6free as well as the full malware scan in ASC5 w/AV. I now use AVC6pro and MS SE which includes antimalware and antispyware as well as antivirus modules. All scans have come back clean. (with adblock and ghostery I don't even get tracking cookies)

Alas

I have tried uninstalling the programs that seem to be responsible for those file extensions. No joy. The process manager does not list anything that looks likely, either under processes or services.

I guess I'll have to live with a minor unexplained annoyance while I thoroughly enjoy the speedup in my 8 year old computer. :)

Found It!

The solution was open Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder options, file extensions.

Delete the offending entries.

:-D

I did download Process Explorer 15 as suggested but it also did not find any likely items. The only other possibility I could think of was registered file types in WE. Which, luckily for me it was.

:-D

Very good. It seems like it was a nice learning curve for you. Just remember that if you have disabled the file extensions in folder options that you may have difficulty if you ever use a program that uses the samefileextensions. Just keep it in mind.

We are glad everything worked out well in the end.

Archived