IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SD shows ?wrong values for free and total space

john65black

Hi,

I noticed that my 1TB WD extHDD showed in the Free/Total Size of SD2.6 values of 169/931GB. If I look in my Vista OS Computer>properties the extHDD shows the actual values of 585/930 GB. I trawled through the forum and thought that this theme was the closest to my problem. {Moderator if I am in the wrong place please move me}

I wondered why this anomaly as when you look at the GUI it does not seem to agree with the former values. I have attached a screen shot showing the values.

This is not causing me much bother as the defragging is working well I just wondered why the disparate values.

Thanks to all who offer help.

John

Hi john

I would like to be sure that the comparison is talking about the same thing.

In SD it shows free space/capacity in your L drive

Does it also show free space - or does it show used space in your other reference?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi,

I noticed that my 1TB WD extHDD showed in the Free/Total Size of SD2.6 values of 169/931GB. If I look in my Vista OS Computer>properties the extHDD shows the actual values of 585/930 GB. I trawled through the forum and thought that this theme was the closest to my problem. {Moderator if I am in the wrong place please move me}

I wondered why this anomaly as when you look at the GUI it does not seem to agree with the former values. I have attached a screen shot showing the values.

This is not causing me much bother as the defragging is working well I just wondered why the disparate values.

Thanks to all who offer help.

John

Hi Iobit friends,

my reply has been delayed and I apologise for that.

Firstly Enoskype. Yes it did seem to be an anomalous reading which has thankfully disappeared. I have wondered if it is related to some housekeeping that I performed on the ext HDD L:. I use the HDD to keep backup copies and I had recently deleted some old ones. The anomaly persisted even after I defragged the L: drive and, even by looking at the GUI, there was more free space than the SD figures showed. Also I do not reboot regularly as my pc usually runs 24/7. In any case the anomaly disappeared after my next reboot so its all a bit academic now.

Second solbjerg. Yes as far as I know Vista>computer> properties does show used space free space and capacity for the HDD.

Third Cicely. Other than the screen shot that I sent earlier I cannot show this fault as it has now resolved itself.

My theory, for what it is worth, is that SD2.6 did not update the free/total space in real time after I removed around 400GB during my housekeeping process, possibly because there was no reboot in the intervening period. The Vista OS did however keep track of the current state of the L: drive in real time. Thus I had no real problem, just the anomaly.

This was, to me, an interesting quirk as SD2.6 performed its defragging well at all times and the Vista OS was not in any way confused about how much free space was available on the L: drive.

If there is anything else that I can do to help then please let me know.

I thank you all for your help and advice.

John

Thank you for the feedback john65black.

It seems that we can't make more comments on the subject as there is no abnormality in reading the size any more.

Please follow the behaviour, as even without the restart of Windows, SD should have read it correctly if SD is started after the cleaning of the external HD.

Cheers.

Hi John

Thank you for your feedback!!

It is often the case that a restart of the computer is needed to display correct numbers if something has been changed.

It is also often necessary to restart a program to make it show the changes made. At least I remember that this was how the Performance Monitor worked when it had the ABCD values to display.

Cheers

solbjerg

Archived