IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

automatic defragmentation does not start

PGH

Hello, I m new user, french , and i don't speak english,

I installed SmartDefrag on my PC, but the automatic defragmentation does not start, I guess that's because VCool software I use to manage the temperature of my AMD Athlon XP 1700 +, which occupies 85% processor to lower the temperature ... How to solve this problem, knowing that the automatic defragmentation is the service that I chose SmartDefrag?

thank you,

PS: translation from French to English by Google Translation

Hi PGH

Is your computer a laptop? And do you have it running on batteries or do you have it plugged into the mains?

Cheers

solbjerg

Hello, I m new user, french , and i don't speek english,

I installed SmartDefrag on my PC, but the automatic defragmentation does not start, I guess that's because VCool software I use to manage the temperature of my AMD Athlon XP 1700 +, which occupies 85% processor to lower the temperature ... How to solve this problem, knowing that the automatic defragmentation is the service that I chose SmartDefrag?

thank you,

PS: translation from French to English by Google Translation

Hello,Automatic Defragmentation is set to start after 1 minute when the system is idle (how to determine it? Mouse movements and keystrokes? CPU usage?) I made with or without checked "disabled if more than 60%, but it changes nothing. for cons, I tested by disabling VCool, and SD starts .. but my CPU temperature rises due to lack of control by the software VCool ..

Hi PGH

Is your primary concern the temperature in your CPU?

Well the defragmentation starts activity in your CPU and in the harddisk concerned. This will of course generate some heat.

By me the CPU started at 33°C and ran at capacities between 0 and 60% - it ended up raising the temperature to 35°C - after a minute or two it was back at 33°C after the defrag had ended.

The harddisk being defragged started at the temperature 34°C and ended up at 38°C and has stayed there for 10 minutes.

While this was going on the temperature in my house rose by 2°C due to me having stoked the furnace just before writing this.

I cleaned my computer a month or so ago - I cleaned the CPU without dismantling the fan - the cabinet fan I dismantled and cleaned - the reason for my activity was that the PSU (Power Supply Unit) cooling fan was too dirty and I ultimately had to change that unit.

If your problem is that the temperature goes up so high that the computer closes down by a simple defragmentation, I am sure that you ought to clean your computer to get that problem solved.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s.

The idleness has to register that activity has stopped for the period you have set it for. so waiting a bit longer (couple of minutes I suppose) than that is a good idea. Also be sure that you do not have so many automatic functions running that the computer never is idle. If you have very many tracking cookies or other form of malware this may also keep your computer running even though you think it is idle.

p.p.s.

The computer is considered to be idle by Windows if there has not been user interaction via the mouse or keyboard for a given time and if the hard drives and processors have been idle more than 90% of that time.

The Task Scheduler in Windows 7 for instance considers the computer to be idle if the above states returned true for a period of ten minutes.

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/11/09/the-definition-of-idle-in-windows/

Hello,Automatic Defragmentation is set to start after 1 minute when the system is idle (how to determine it? Mouse movements and keystrokes? CPU usage?) I made with or without checked "disabled if more than 60%, but it changes nothing. for cons, I tested by disabling VCool, and SD starts .. but my CPU temperature rises due to lack of control by the software VCool ..

Hi PGH

I have looked through the thread and please follow all suggestions made by Solbjerg.

However, there are gaps in the information you supplied, which may make a solution more difficult and lengthy. If you could supply this info it would assist.

1) If you have a temperature monitoring/control program, you should be able to provide the details of the temperatures which are involved..( ie, temperature and cpu load before autodefrag start....temperature and cpu load when autodefrag is running). It should also be possible to make a historical graph of the temperature.

2)In your Auto Defrag settings you can set both the level of idle time required before Auto Defrag starts, and also the point where Auto Defrag Pauses due to resource excess.

These settings will dictate the operation of Auto Defrag.

The thing that bothers me is that Auto Defrag is not a resource hog, and only uses resources as they are available, and pause if necessary when load is increased. It seems to me that your VCool software and Smart Defrag are conflicting with each other. What I believe is happening is that a see-saw effect is created between the two programs, as follows...

SD begins and Vcool detects a temperature rise, it then tries to lower temperature by stopping SD. This causes VCool to increase cpu load which SD then detects and its pause routine activates. The temperature then drops and VCool releases SD to begin again and the cycle starts again. This is causing the CPU load to cycle up and thus the temperature, and the problem becomes a closed loop with the two programs fighting each other.

I do not know how your VCool settings are configured, but I would imagine that the settings can be manipulated to overcome this issue. It may also be possible to ignore SD in VCool settings to allow it to run. You could monitor the temperature manually for safety.

It should not be necessary to have software control temperature, and it should really be used only to set alarm points and excessive Load protection.

Translated by google French-English

Hello,

We do not fully understand, I think;I have an AMD Athlon 1700 +, these processors-aging-warmed much, even at rest. The temperature is about 52 ° C (125.6 ° F) at rest and can go up to 70 ° C (158 ° F) in charge (for example video playback).

So, to cool the processor, I found a software VCool, which is cutting activity and allow circuits to lower the temperature to 33 ° C (91 ° F). But to cut the circuit and bring down the temperature, it takes the processor to maintain activity at a minimum, so that the process is vcool.exe to 85% CPU. I guess it is this process that prevents SmartDefrag start, SD to think that the computer is very busy (while the opposite happens).

It is not SmartDefrag that overconsumption of resources, but I feel that it takes for a process vcool.exe active and suddenly it does not start autodefrag ...

Hi PGH

The reason you found and installed Vcool was presumeably that you noticed that your computer was running hot - maybe even stopping working?

How the Vcool works I do not know - possibilities could be - make the fan run faster - or a setup that closes down applications using the CPU and raising temperatures.

Any work will raise temperatures! (That is the nature of physics)

The most probable cause for the trouble you seem to be experiencing is that your computer is badly in need of a cleaning inside the cabinet.

Guides to this sort of cleaning can be found on the internet. Otherwise you will have to take it to someone to do it for you. which will cost some money unless you can get a friend to do it.

Cheers

solbjerg

Translated by google French-English

Hello,

We do not fully understand, I think;I have an AMD Athlon 1700 +, these processors-aging-warmed much, even at rest. The temperature is about 52 ° C (125.6 ° F) at rest and can go up to 70 ° C (158 ° F) in charge (for example video playback).

So, to cool the processor, I found a software VCool, which is cutting activity and allow circuits to lower the temperature to 33 ° C (91 ° F). But to cut the circuit and bring down the temperature, it takes the processor to maintain activity at a minimum, so that the process is vcool.exe to 85% CPU. I guess it is this process that prevents SmartDefrag start, SD to think that the computer is very busy (while the opposite happens).

It is not SmartDefrag that overconsumption of resources, but I feel that it takes for a process vcool.exe active and suddenly it does not start autodefrag ...

Yes. I do believe the two programs are conflicting with each other.

Also, these amd athlon 1700 processors are known for running hot. Please see this article as it may help.

Another possibility is that VCool is not seeing the temperature accurately. This is a very common occurrence, depending on the type of temperature sensor.

I use MobileMeter to monitor my CPU temperature and Load and I have found it to be very accurate ( I also have XP). You can download it here.

If you CPU reaches 70 Degrees for short periods, that should not cause a problem as your Processor is capable of runnig at 90 degrees at full load.

Also as Solbjerg said...make sure your computer is clean inside and the fans are running correctly.

Hello,

In fact, we should understand that if I change my CPU too hot and consumes energy, so my motherboard, so the memory cards ... Overcharges in the end (knowing that my turn is inside a clean, vacuum more dry air bomb for me to clean it regularly, especially the CPU fan).

In the end, I'll have to use software to solve a $ 30 fee, which is the same thing smart defrag but does not seem to be bothered by the presence of VCool. It starts as soon as the mouse and keyboard are inactive. Pending a possible evolution of SD considering this problem. I will continue to monitor the evolution of your great product.

Thank you for your answers and your patience.

Archived