IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Contradiction in Disk Doctor Analysis Reports

enoskype

Hi Cicely,

Please have a look to the attachments.

A routine check with Disk Doctor:

The Analysis results on the main GUI shows No errors found on C:\, but when Details are shown, report says ASC found problems including Volume Bitmap, please run chkdsk /scan to find the problems and queue them for repair in C:\.

Certainly same in Disk Scan of ASCU (attached image).

Running chkdsk /scan in W8 does not reveal any problems found.

That's on W8 Pro with ASCU 6.0.8.289, 500GB HD with 3 partitions C: 200GB, D: 299GB, and E: 349MB .

Cheers.

Take a look at this. Just a shot in the dark but from research I have done on the "Volume Bitmap is incorrect" message it appears to be a problem with Windows.

Hot Fix Is Available

Error message when you run the ChkDsk.exe utility in read-only mode on a Windows-based computer: "The Volume Bitmap is incorrect" or "Error detected in index $I30 for file 5"

Hi Toppack,

scan switch is only valid for Windows 8.

Switch list for chkdsk in Wikipedia should be updated to include Windows 8.

6.2.9200 is Windows 8 RTM.

Please see the attachment for valid chkdsk switches for Windows 8.

Hi Buddahfan,

Thanks for the link, but it was before Service Pack 1 of W7. I don't think MS would have the same bug in a version released after W7 SP1.

Also, as you can see from the attached image that chkdsk without any switch does not reveal any problems.

I think, this bug (Perhaps, inherited from that Windows bug before W7 SP1.) is in ASC's Disk Doctor.

Cheers to all.

Dear enoskype,

We works out a demo for this issue. Please follow the instructions below to run the demo.

1. Download the DiskScan.exe from: http://testdemo.iobit.com/1218/DiskScan.exe

2. Right click on the ASC Ulitmate's system tray icon and select Exit.

3. Use DiskScan.exe we sent to you to replace the original one in the program installation folder of Ultimate.

4. Load ASC Ultimate to separately run Disk Scan under Expert Mode and Disk Doctor in Toolbox to see how it works.

If the problem still exits, please send screenhots to us for further check.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Cicely,

You know that there is no Exit for ASCU! :lol:

I don't want to mess up using DiskScan when replacing the original with Access Denials without exiting ASCU.

That may ruin all the test process.

I have done it without starting ASCU. I'll report back.

Cheers.

Hi Cicely,

I have the attachments for you.

My first run of Disk Scan of ASCU gave the classical Found errors, can not continue chkdsk, please run chkdsk /f .

Also something about index $I30 and # of a file which I can't remember.

I can not give the screenshot, as my second scan is as in the attachment.

I did not run chkdsk /f afterwards or in between anyway.

Still, there is the same contradiction, but this time between ASCU and Windows' own chkdsk and chkdsk /scan

ASCU seems consistent in it's own judgement though. :lol:

NOTE: Someting is really weird, as without changing anything, Disc Doctor sometimes find errors and sometimes says no errors found just when run immediately one after another.

Cheers.

Many times with all current Windows OSes Buddahfan.

Whatever the result on the GUI of Disk Doctor, I have always (without exception) checked the details. It is just my habit. :lol:

(You see, devil is always there, in the details. :twisted: :-P )

Cheers.

Hi Cicely,

You know that there is no Exit for ASCU! :lol:

I don't want to mess up using DiskScan when replacing the original with Access Denials without exiting ASCU.

That may ruin all the test process.

I have done it without starting ASCU. I'll report back.

Cheers.

Aye... there should be an Exit for ASCU! I have repeatedly suggested it but nobody seems to think its important.:shock:

Thanks Enooskype.;-)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. Its unfortunate that it is easier for me to restart my machine to exit as I got tired of killing all the processes manually!!

Aye... there should be an Exit for ASCU! I have repeatedly suggested it but nobody seems to think its important.:shock:

Thanks Enooskype.;-)

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. Its unfortunate that it is easier for me to restart my machine to exit as I got tired of killing all the processes manually!!

there should be a secure Exit for ASCU! preferably one requiring a password.:idea:

Hi Buddahfan,

Thanks for your suggestion. Since ASC Ultimate 6 is an antivirus software, to protect your computer against virus, it's not recommended to exit it.

However, I have written your concern down and will let our program team know for consideration.

Let us know if you have any other ideas. :mrgreen:

Hi Buddahfan,

Thanks for your suggestion. Since ASC Ultimate 6 is an antivirus software, to protect your computer against virus, it's not recommended to exit it.

However, I have written your concern down and will let our program team know for consideration.

As I have posted here numerous times I uae avast! AIS as my main AV program. It has this feature. I read their forum daily and I don't recall more than one or two people over the years complaining about it. avast! AIS does have a password feature that prevents any changes to its settings either default or custom without the use of the password. I think they also ahve about 150 million licenses paid and unpaid.

Just saying.:smile:

Hi Buddahfan,

Ah Cicely...

The point is not about what is "recommended"!!:shock:

It is about a users control over their machine!:wink:

If I so choose I should be able to stop/close/exit any software that I have voluntarily installed on my machine... do you agree?

I can stop it... but most users cannot. I don't run ASCU because it is so difficult to stop. (I run many softwares and need to stop it easily and quickly, at my command)

Please... please... pretty please... with sugar on top... and lots of hugs and kisses....

Place an effective Exit on the system tray pop-up menu at least!!!!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. It is absolutely stupid not to have this option! I wonder how many customers will be driven away by this??:shock:

I second this completely. I understand Cicely's explanation also, but it would be simple to incorporate a severe warning when someone wants to exit the program, advising them of the loss of protection. Then they can decide whether to proceed or not.

Ah Cicely...

The point is not about what is "recommended"!!:shock:

It is about a users control over their machine!:wink:

If I so choose I should be able to stop/close/exit any software that I have voluntarily installed on my machine... do you agree?

I can stop it... but most users cannot. I don't run ASCU because it is so difficult to stop. (I run many softwares and need to stop it easily and quickly, at my command)

Please... please... pretty please... with sugar on top... and lots of hugs and kisses....

Place an effective Exit on the system tray pop-up menu at least!!!!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

P.S. It is absolutely stupid not to have this option! I wonder how many customers will be driven away by this??:shock:

Hi

Well I think there is room for some concern too regarding the easy closing of an AV program.

Unfortunately I have not yet tried the ASCU and do not know if the option to close the real time protection can be found in the settings.

There could be a risk of the user forgetting to turn it back on and then contracting a virus :-)

Some would then blame the program unfairly.

An icon showing that protection was off should be easy to display though

But I understand the wish to be able to close it down fairly easy - the warning should be there though as Scannan says. Both to protect the user - and also the company from unfair accusations.

Cheers

solbjerg

Contradiction in Disk Doctor Analysis Reports.... :mrgreen:

I wonder what is the final saying of IObit on this subject!

Sorry, I think I have started the Exit of ASCU when replying to Cicely's post.

@ solbjerg

FYI, you can turn of real-time protection of ASCU from the main GUI, from antivirus settings and system tray icon right click menu. When the real-time protection is off, system tray icon wil have a red exclamation mark on it.

With all the bells and whistles put, I believe that there should be an option of totaly exiting ASCU.

Cheers.

Ok, thanks! solbjerg

Contradiction in Disk Doctor Analysis Reports.... :mrgreen:

I wonder what is the final saying of IObit on this subject!

Sorry, I think I have started the Exit of ASCU when replying to Cicely's post.

@ solbjerg

FYI, you can turn of real-time protection of ASCU from the main GUI, from antivirus settings and system tray icon right click menu. When the real-time protection is off, system tray icon wil have a red exclamation mark on it.

With all the bells and whistles put, I believe that there should be an option of totaly exiting ASCU.

Cheers.

Ok, thanks! solbjerg

Aye Enoskype...

I do remember posting earlier on{months ago when ASCU was just released} (including screenshots of my system tray for an EXIT)... I will find the post if you wish. It is unnecessarily troublesome to shut down... many users will wish to shut it down for a variety of reasons.

A user should be able to shut it down without restarting their machine or going through a lengthy processs of looking (through their task manager) at their services and shuttting them down one by one.

This line is for Solbjerg...

The option should be available. It is not... anywhere in the settings... nor through the options from the system tray. There is no option except to restart your machine... with it disabled. Once you start it, there is no way to stop it unless you sort through everyting manually or do a restart.

Not clever in my opinion!!!:shock:

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

Archived