IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

AWC Backups

honey46222

Hi, new user here. I'm trying out AWC Personal. As I understand it, the AWC backups contain all the scans. The backups do not separate out. For example, after removing my IE history I discover later that I need it to find a site I was at a couple of days ago. I'd have to go back to that entire restore point to get my History back. Then I'd have to do the entire scan/repair again. Is that how it works? So, that brings me to a couple of questions:

1. Are there plans for individual backups of each category in the Pro version or is that already there? (The names of the backups are blacked out in the help file, so I can't tell what they are.)

2. If AWC (Personal or Pro) does not or will not have that capability, would a workaround be to do each type of scan and repair separately? That way, if I had to reverse something, it wouldn't mean going through all the other scans again. It would only reverse the changes in the individual backups.

It would be nice if the backups could have useful names, but I guess I could write the time and size down to track which backup belongs to what scan.

Does that make sense? :shock:

Hi honey46222,

I wish they would give you the capability of renaming the restore files ( a good suggestion for Iobit).

If you wish to keep your browsing history intact, after you run a scan you can click on the "show details" under privacy sweep and uncheck the history box under your browser name. It should ignore your visited website history after that.

Also, in the restore center under settings you can select what all items you want included in the backup. I guess you could run a scan of just privacy sweep and make note of date and time for the backup name. However, after a scan, I believe you have to close and re-open the programs before the current backup shows. Hope this helps.

samr.

Well, the backup module of AWC can only restore for

Spyware Scanner,

Registry Scanner,

System Analsis module.

(PS: You can set/reset Security Denfense Module by yourself, and for Startup Scanner, you can restore items within it.)

Let me tell you the reason. First, there are many files in the Privacy Sweeper and Temporary File Scanner module. Usually, there could be over 100MB files in those two module. So if we backup it, what will happen? It will take you over 100 MB extral hardsisk space and much time to copy it to the backup folder. Also, there will be a problem exsits, if there is no enough space to store those file, how can we restore it? And once I found that a AWC user has 1.2GB IE temporary file and 1.5GB system temporary file. So that's the reason why we won't backup it. Also most of those file are not useful or important at least.

samr:However, after a scan, I believe you have to close and re-open the programs before the current backup shows. Hope this helps.

Yes, I found that out. I also had the problem with AWC not making any backups with my first install. So I read the forum and found out about reinstalling it. Now it works.

Tim Xue:
You're right! It does make sense not to backup everything. I just picked a history file as an example and it turned out not to be the best example to explain what I was asking. If I could, I have some follow-up to what you said.

Ok, basically AWC makes restores for those three items. Let's say I started out doing the scans on everything. I now have that backup. Then a few days later, I want to clean my registry again. So I only do the registry scan this time. Now I have a second backup on my list. Does that second backup only contain the registry scan or does AWC automatically include all three again, even if no new changes have been made to the others?

Oh, and there is something I noticed about the downloads at Cnet. On my first install, I used the Cnet download. When the restore didn't work, I used the setup I got from the direct link posted here in the forum. There is a difference in the size of the setup file between the two. Cnet is 4.20MB (4.21 Size on disk) and the size on the direct download is 4.22MB. They are also still advertising 2.3.0.726 but the direct link installed as 727.

I know that Cnet may not update the version information but you should still get the latest version, right? But I can't test what would install from them now that I've used the direct link setup. At any rate, there is still the size difference between the two downloads. Is that normal?

Archived