IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Widgi

junky

I am using ASC 6. Found this in my windows vista registry. I thought WIDGI was malware. ??

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IObit\ffext_path=C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\PARTNERNAME@widgitoolbar.com\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Low Rights\ElevationPolicy\{0BDA0769-FD72-49F4-9266-E1FB004F4D8F}\AppName=WidgiHelper.exe & \AppPath=C:\Program Files\IObit Toolbar\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\227891B259797954E88A157FD9F260A0\

E5D7A28B1734BBF4793EA1C766649A33=C:\Program Files\IObit Toolbar\WidgiHelper.exe

Thanks Toppack!

Hi junky!

Toppack's link is very helpful.

Most software providers, including Iobit, offer add-ons during installation through partnership with other companies (to generate revenue)... including toolbars.

You must go very slowly when installing any software, reading all the prompts, to install only the software you think you are getting!

In my opinion, knowing somewhat about these things, browser toolbars are despicable for a number of reasons...(Spying,advertising,loading your system resources,security risks... etc.)

You did not ask but I will advise that all add-on browser toolbars are unnecessary if you are using the built-in features of your browser. (assuming it is a somewhat prevalent browser). If you would like assistance removing adware and spyware from your system then I will get you started.:wink:

If I am astray from the meaning of your post then please guide me to it!

Sincerely,

-Mel

Live long and prosper!

First part

Seems this is part is not of the IOBIT toolbar:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IObit\ffext_path=C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\PARTNERNAME@widgitoolbar.com\

So it might be the adware/spyware one??

Seems when IObit Malware Fighter wants to install a new version (not signature updates) and I accept, that I get the WidgiHelper installed even though I dont see a selection to opt-out of it. I will have to wait until the next IObit Malware Fighter version update to confirm this.

FYI it was Spybot that found this Widgi stuff.

Archived