IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Pagefile Size

Dch48

After reading extensively about RAM vs pagefile size, I came to the conclusion that if you have enough RAM, the page file does not have to be anywhere near 1 1/2 times the RAM size. I read one expert's posting saying that he had set his page file to only 200 megs with 2 gigs of RAM. I tried that and occasionally got an error saying it was too small. I now have it set to 512megs min and max and have yet to have a problem. I run many large game programs, usually with Info pages for those games open at the same time and never have a problem. In my opinion, the 1 1/2 times RAM formula is outdated in these days of machines with 2 gigs or more of memory installed.

Hi Dch48,

Outdated? Yes and no.:lol:

Even fixed Page file size is questioned nowadays with huge amounts of RAM.

That will depend on the use of the computer, specially with relatively smaller RAM.

Fx.,if you have a lot of users for a PC, than fast switching will need larger Page file, however big the RAM is, in XP.

Here is a good article about RAM and Page file correlation, worths reading if you have missed it.

Cheers.

Interesting

Thanks for that link. I didn't know that the pagefile usage box in task manager showed potential usage and not actual. Mine just said potential of 432 mb, so I think my 512mb file should still be okay. Nobody else ever uses this machine so I don't have to worry about that aspect.

You can do that

I just don't like any resources in my system being used needlessly. Plus the fact that this machine is a laptop with only a 60gb main partition and XP Media Center installed which takes up about 20 gb by itself. I do a lot of DVD creation and also like to play large games like World of Warcraft and the Steam offerings. To preserve my HD space, I have decreased the page file, decreased the space that system restore can use and disabled hibernation. By doing those things , I have gained at least 10gb of available HD space. System restore is the biggest culprit. It reserves 12% of the hard drive for itself which is totally unnecessary. A few hundred megs is plenty for it.

Hi Dch48-ah, a real miser-man after my own heart-as long as you're scraping for every megabit,and all the space you can find, have you reduced your recycle bin size? run mine at @ 2%- I'm sure you have done this,but figured I throw it out there-great day and God bless

Hi Dch

If one has enough RAM for the programs to function well without the pagefile, I think it works.

About deleting, I have once tried writing a macro that put in zeroes in every available space - and then deleting them. It cleaned the harddisk of all leftovers. It took some time though.

Cheers

solbjerg

Did that too :-D I hardly ever let anything go into the recycle bin anyway. When I delete something, I want it gone. Well, at least as close to gone as Windows will allow.

Archived