IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

What does Windows Vista Defragmenter do after SmartDefrag is installed?

I've read that Windows Vista's Defragmenter runs in the background to keep the hard drive defragmented. If so, then are both Windows Vista Defragmenter and SmartDefrag running in systems with SmartDefrag installed? If not, what prevents that from happening?

Hi dderolph-using XP so not sure about Vista's defrag running all the time- XP's an on demand app. accessed through the accessories link from the all programs menu(might get you to your defrag to see if there is on/off option). Smart defrag has the option of running in the background or on demand.You should be able to find a setting to enable or disable along with a reference point option to determine when defrag will run dependent on resource usage(20%-40% or even when system is idle) I choose to break it out when I need it. it is not a "heavy" app. but i prefer as little running in the background as possible-check back for more input-we have many Vista users :twisted: on the forum great day and God bless

follow up

dderolph-checked around-you are correct-runs all the time-no adjustments,no gui-that's right,welcome to Vista! you can however disable it: click start-click control panel-select CP home-click sys&mnt-under Admin Tools, click defrag hard drive(you may need permission to open defrag-make sure you are Admin.)uncheck the run auto box to disable and click ok-from what I've read-no one likes it or is happy with it(vista defrag) I would leave it off and use Iobit defrag exclusively or how about a nice copy of XP :razz: hope this helps

to disabled auto vista defrag

1. Click Start

2. Click Control Panel

3. Selct the Control Panel Home

4. Click System and Maintenance

5. Under the Administrative Tools section at the bottom, click Defragment your hard drive

6. You may need to grant permission to open the disk fragmenter

7. unclick Run automatically if you want this feature disabled.

8. Click OK

Thanks, sunny staines and detailer. detailer, no offense, but, even though you gave the same procedure as sunny staines, his was sure a lot easier to read. I have a feeling that's why he posted it. :wink:

However, the step to unclick Run automatically seems to be not quite correct. I see no checkbox for "Run automatically". I do see one for "Run on a schedule (recommended)". And, that seems to imply that Windows Disk Defragmenter does not run in the background, which was my original question. It can simpy be set to autmatically run at a scheduled time, which is not the same thing as constantly running in the background to monitor fragmentation and to automatically defrag at times when the CPU is not busy running applications.

Archived