IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Is this normal?

Here is the image of the file placement on my system after running smart defrag 1.02 in defrag and optimize.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k370/Dch48/SDF.jpg

As you can see, there are large empty spaces, especially at the front. Is this normal? I also got a shot of what the drive structure looks like when analyzed by the Windows defragger.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k370/Dch48/DF.jpg

If I would now run the windows tool, it would move many of the things to the beginning and not leave nearly as many gaps.

Hi Dch

In your screenshot it looks like you have only run defrag - not defrag&optimize.

In the Windows defragmenter it is also distributed over the whole disk.

Read this string please: http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=612

Cheers

solbjerg

Here is the image of the file placement on my system after running smart defrag 1.02 in defrag and optimize.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k370/Dch48/SDF.jpg

As you can see, there are large empty spaces, especially at the front. Is this normal? I also got a shot of what the drive structure looks like when analyzed by the Windows defragger.

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k370/Dch48/DF.jpg

If I would now run the windows tool, it would move many of the things to the beginning and not leave nearly as many gaps.

I guess I need to clarify. I ran defrag and optimize, then clicked on analyze to get a fresh image. Then I took the screenshot. I then opened Windows Defrag and ran analyze there to get it's image of the drive which I find to be a clearer picture. Both shots are of the drive in the same condition. The reason why I said that Windows defrag would put more of the files at the beginning and eliminate some of the holes is because I have already seen it do just that. A while back, I ran defrag and optimize in SD and it refused to defrag a large 2 gb file twice. All it did was move it to a new location and leave it still fragmented. (I did not have skipping large files selected in SD). I ran Windows defrag to do that file and it did defrag it and moved a lot of other files to the beginning of the drive, eliminating a lot of the empty spaces. The next time I ran Defrag and optimize in SD, it created the empty spaces at the beginning once again and spread the files out more than they had been.

Once again. Is this normal behavior or is there something wrong in the optimization routines? I have also noticed that sometimes when running defrag and optimize, some files do not get defragmented. If I do a plain defrag first, then do D&O, it works better.

I would swear that version 1.0 worked better than either 1.01 or 1.02.

hi dch

It is a very complex question, it might be normal on your machine according to configuration and preference, but it is not usual.

The most used files are usually at the outer rim of the disk and the immovables are approximately in the middle, while those that isn't used much is in at the inner part of the disk.

Have you read the string I recommended?

Cheers

solbjerg

Can I get an answer please whether this is the correct behavior. It seems like SD considers the optimal placement of files to be the middle of the drive instead of the beginning.

Hi Dch48-hate to mention a "brand-X" but it's been brought up here before-download yourself a free 30 day trial of Raxco Perfect Disk-see what results you come up with-after reading some of your posts,I think you will "get wet" when you see the GUI and all of the options-once I ran this "way back when" and since,Iobit app. has kept everything intact-let us know how you make out-great day and God bless

Hi detailer

Thank you detailer! That was precisely one of the reasons why I suggested that he read enoskypes string.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi Dch48-hate to mention a "brand-X" but it's been brought up here before-download yourself a free 30 day trial of Raxco Perfect Disk-see what results you come up with-after reading some of your posts,I think you will "get wet" when you see the GUI and all of the options-once I ran this "way back when" and since,Iobit app. has kept everything intact-let us know how you make out-great day and God bless

Well it works differently on this HP laptop than it does on my GF's emachine desktop. On hers it puts everything at the front. The Windows defrag behaves differently on mine too keeping things spread out and leaving holes. I had a thought, maybe i'm off base but here goes.

My laptop has a Fujitsu HD which has 4 platters. Is it possible that when optimizing, SD is putting as many files at the front of one platter as it "thinks" best, then putting some at the beginning of the second, and so on?

I don't really want to try another defragger. SD does speed up my system even with the way it places the files and it works really fast. Therefore I'm satisfied. I was just wondering why the files wind up where they do. Actually, the best defrag program I ever used was Norton Speed Disk on 98SE. That was a nice program, but it didn't work right on my new XP machines.

ayy if your willing to pay for software, what really helps out your system is PerfectDisk http://www.raxco.com/ or UltimateDefrag http://www.disktrix.com/. UltimateDefrag also has a free defragger http://www.disktrix.com/UDFree.htm. What im using though is JKDefrag which i think has more results than UltimateDefrags free edition and SD but thats my opinion.

I was using JKdefrag before SD. I didn't like the interface and the way it placed what it called "space hogs" at the end of the drive and seemed to move them every time I ran it. These so called hogs were usually my game files and it made the games load slower. It also was far slower than SD in general . Probably because all it does is add more options to the already existing Windows defrag API. It uses that to do it's job.

Read my earlier post #9. The more I think about it, what I postulated there seems more likely. When I was using JKDefrag. It would get to a point where it would say "Optimizing zone 1" then zone 2 and so on to 4. Maybe HP set up the disk that way or maybe it's in the firmware of the drive to work that way.

well im gonna try out perfect disks trial. honestly though, defrag speed doesnt matter. results count. so i went with jkdefrag. also if you dont play a game for a long time and you defrag, the game gets slower as the space which makes the game go faster is replaced with files that you use more often. so it might make it go slower if you dont play it much and you defrag.

Hi Dch

Do you also use AWC with the gaming optimization?

Cheers

solbjerg

Read my earlier post #9. The more I think about it, what I postulated there seems more likely. When I was using JKDefrag. It would get to a point where it would say "Optimizing zone 1" then zone 2 and so on to 4. Maybe HP set up the disk that way or maybe it's in the firmware of the drive to work that way.

Thank you for the info on AWC. I downloaded and installed it, checked it out and decided I don't need it. I take care of all the things it does already in other ways. I have 2 very good registry cleaners, I never get any spyware and if I do I have malwarebytes anti-malware to take care of it. As far as disk cleanup and history go, I have a very nice little free app called Free Window sweeper that does an excellent job and has an excellent cookie manager that was lacking in AWC. I ran the repair and optimize in AWC and it found nothing to fix. So I have uninstalled it.

Hi Dch

I just want to correct your statement that a cookie manager was lacking in AWC. This is not true, it is to be found among the add-ins.

Cheers

solbjerg

Thank you for the info on AWC. I downloaded and installed it, checked it out and decided I don't need it. I take care of all the things it does already in other ways. I have 2 very good registry cleaners, I never get any spyware and if I do I have malwarebytes anti-malware to take care of it. As far as disk cleanup and history go, I have a very nice little free app called Free Window sweeper that does an excellent job and has an excellent cookie manager that was lacking in AWC. I ran the repair and optimize in AWC and it found nothing to fix. So I have uninstalled it.

I saw a way to delete some cookies, yes, but the program I use allows me to put the ones I want to keep in a list and when i run the program to clean up my system it automatically deletes all cookies not in the list. It didn't seem that AWC did that. It looked like I would have to manually select and delete every time. Maybe not, but I still have something else that does it.

Ok Dch

I do not want to interfere with your preferences, just to correct a statement that could be misunderstood. That's all.

Nice to have talked to you!

All the best!

Cheers

solbjerg

I saw a way to delete some cookies, yes, but the program I use allows me to put the ones I want to keep in a list and when i run the program to clean up my system it automatically deletes all cookies not in the list. It didn't seem that AWC did that. It looked like I would have to manually select and delete every time. Maybe not, but I still have something else that does it.

Archived