IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

This application prevents the computer from Shutting down [SOLVED by new Start Menu 8 exe file]

dampast

I have experienced the following bug with Start Menu 8 both on a Windows 8 64-bit Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Notebook and a Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Sony Vaio SV-S1312S9E Notebook.

When pressing shutdown from the StartMenu button, most times the application will NOT automatically close, displaying a message "This application prevents the computer from Shutdown", prompting for a FORCED shutdown.

Alternatively if I press CANCEL and return to desktop, the application is "hung" so the only way to shutdown is thru the TaskMenu of Alt-Ctrl-Del.

I haven't seen anybody else experiencing this, so I would appreciate any suggestions as indeed I hate the disappearance of the TaskBar from Windows 8 and this application is really cool!

I'm running latest version 1.1.0

Unfortunately problem still exists....

Thank you for your prompt reply. I installed the provided link version on top of the other (installation didn't ask for removal of previous) on the Dell PC. On the first 2 tests it worked fine, on the third again message appeared.

I run the un-install and installed again startmenu8-0516.exe. All tests failed again (both on shutdown and reboot).

If it helps, computer runs McAfee Security Center software (pre-installed 1-month trial).

Hi dampast,

Please follow the steps below to help us check whether the issue would be solved?

1. Exit Start Menu 8.

2. Download the new StartMenu8.exe from http://wikisend.com/download/182982/StartMenu8.exe

3. Use the new StartMenu8.exe to replace the original one under the installation directory of Start Menu 8 (Please do not directly run StartMenu8.exe)

The installation directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8 or C:\Program Files\IObit\Start Menu 8

4. Run the program Start Menu 8 again to check whether the issue is solved or not.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Seems this worked!

Hi again,

Indeed following your instructions to replace the executable file seems that solved the issue!

To be sincere I downloaded and tried Classic Shell but I found it more complicated and disfunctional than Start Menu 8, that's why I'm quite happy that this annoying problem was solved.

Thank you again for your prompt assistance!

Regards from Athens, Greece

Damien

Archived