IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Stayed at 5 because 6 was horrible. Requests for 7

stevels

The major problems with 6 were:

1) the lack of ability to maximize the process

2) being forced to install on the C drive

I will not install all my applications on the C drive anymore and will refuse to use a product that forces me to. You have competition and THEY allow me to install to a portable drive. Anyone who is savvy about computers is moving to portable applications and will not buy apps that won't let you control where it's installed.

3) how hard it was to see the registry keys because stretching the fields was frustratingly hard and the view window was so limited you had to use scroll bars.

I have never and will never completely trust any application that deletes registry entries without taking a look at what it's deleting.

New feature suggestion:

4)Find other solutions to registry repair than deletion.

Something that only Norton WinDoctor ever had that was more useful than straight out deleting keys was searching for the missing files on the drive and suggesting those changes to the key instead of deletions.

I would pay extra for that feature. Outright deleting keys can cause a lot of trouble when files maybe on an external drive which a WHOLE lot of people are doing now along with moving to portable apps so they can upgrade their OS without having to reinstall 90 applications.

5)Portable install:

Let all applications store their configuration files locally and keep themselves upgraded. This will make upgrading to a new OS every year or two easier.

It will make the likely reinstall every few months go easier also.

I will not install all my applications on the C drive anymore and will refuse to use a product that forces me to.

One problem with that: ASC is Not a simple App.

It makes major Changes to the system.

So it really needs to be on same drive as OS and Registry,

and not on a drive that May get disconnected during changes.

Programs that do not make system changes are okay to put on other drives,

but most of those should not be considered Portables since they require the system-Registry data also.

Suggestion 6

6) NEVER, EVER delete my internet history or default to deleting my internet history!!!! Default to delete the cache and cookies only.

I lost a couple clients because after working on their computer months of browsing history was missing. It turns out that some people have nothing to hide and rely on their browser history as part of their bookmarks and some people use it as the prime way to keep track of what they are doing on the internet. I too will never, ever delete my history on my home computer because it contains research for tech support or politics and if I forget to bookmark something I NEED that history

(Forum would not let me save the edited post so I'll add a reply.)

I disagree

One problem with that: ASC is Not a simple App.

It makes major Changes to the system.

So it really needs to be on same drive as OS and Registry,

and not on a drive that May get disconnected during changes.

Programs that do not make system changes are okay to put on other drives.

Norton and Glary easily install on another drive letter. So what you are telling me is to not buy ASC...

Besides the thumb drive, smart card are powered by the computer and external drives are mostly powered by the USB bus now days too. The whole machine would need to go down and someone that knows enough about using ASC isn't going to pull the media while it's running.

People WANT to use their thumb drives to repair a broken machine.

Major draw backs remain

Hi stevels,

Have you tried creating the portable version (free version) in the Toolbox?

I am not sure if it is satisfactory to your needs, but it is also one of the positive sides of ASC.

Cheers.

The program has no full screen mode, you can not see clearly what registry keys are being deleted and files that are moved or deleted but maybe in the trash or duplicated somewhere are not given as options to repair the keys.

Windoctor found 8 keys with broken icons that could be repaired by replacing with a redundant copy of the .dll file on a Windows 7 installation just today. But Windoctor is 2006 version and is way outdated.

I've had Windoctor repair broken .NET installations this way by finding me the locations and .NET problems can be some of the nastiest to repair with even Windows 7 Update catalog not always working properly.

It's unbelievable what some end users have done to break their machines. It get's tricky to tell users that they have to reformat and reinstall all their apps or buy a new machine and it's nice to be able to pinpoint the error and fix it in an hour. Reinstalls with some huge stacks of apps can take a while.

I stayed away from ASC version 6 because the interface was just to unfriendly and used 5 or alternatives.

The major problems with 6 were:

1) the lack of ability to maximize the process

In ASC V7, we adjust the program size to let users read it more easily.

2) being forced to install on the C drive

I will not install all my applications on the C drive anymore and will refuse to use a product that forces me to. You have competition and THEY allow me to install to a portable drive. Anyone who is savvy about computers is moving to portable applications and will not buy apps that won't let you control where it's installed.

All versions of Advanced SystemCare allow users to install it on any drives. You can install it on any drives except C drive. During the clean installation process, you have the option to change the installation directory.

3) how hard it was to see the registry keys because stretching the fields was frustratingly hard and the view window was so limited you had to use scroll bars.

I have never and will never completely trust any application that deletes registry entries without taking a look at what it's deleting.

We adjust the program size in ASC V7. Please check whether you still encounter this problem.

New feature suggestion:

4)Find other solutions to registry repair than deletion.

Something that only Norton WinDoctor ever had that was more useful than straight out deleting keys was searching for the missing files on the drive and suggesting those changes to the key instead of deletions.

I would pay extra for that feature. Outright deleting keys can cause a lot of trouble when files maybe on an external drive which a WHOLE lot of people are doing now along with moving to portable apps so they can upgrade their OS without having to reinstall 90 applications.

I will forward your suggestion to our programmers for further checking.

5)Portable install:

Let all applications store their configuration files locally and keep themselves upgraded. This will make upgrading to a new OS every year or two easier.

It will make the likely reinstall every few months go easier also.

In Toolbox, there is ASC Portable Version. You can use it to create a portable version for ASC.

Please feel free to post your feedback again if you have new findings or suggestions. :razz:

All versions of Advanced SystemCare allow users to install it on any drives. You can install it on any drives except C drive. During the clean installation process, you have the option to change the installation directory.

I attempted to install version 6.1 and 6.3 (twice) yesterday to a location not on the C drive and there never is a time where the installer offers the option to change directories.

It goes straight from trying to install some toolbars application and after declining it went straight into the installation.

Yes, I don't remember having a Choice, either.

It went to C:drive.

Maybe it only allows a choice if it is a fresh install,

with no previous version already installed on C:drive ???

That is it.

I tried on a fresh Win 7 install today and it offered a menu to install somewhere else. Yesterday when I tried there was a prior installation or registry entries for the C: drive and it just assumed and went straight into installing on the C:.

So, in version 7 they could correct this?

non C drive installation

Hi All,

My suspicions,

In order for ASC v5/6/7 to be installed, on a n other drive,

ALL folders relating to IObit ASC must be removed prior to installation upgrade,

ie go

computer> C >programmefiles>IObit>remove/delete any IObit >>>ASC only<<< folders.

note

you may need admin rights to do this, and

you may also have to remove/delete the subfolders within ASC first.

Roy

That is it.

I tried on a fresh Win 7 install today and it offered a menu to install somewhere else. Yesterday when I tried there was a prior installation or registry entries for the C: drive and it just assumed and went straight into installing on the C:.

So, in version 7 they could correct this?

Thanks for the feedback Info.

The programmers may not know about that Problem ???

The old version should Not have to be completely removed for the choice to be available,

but I still recommend putting it on the C:drive, if possible.

I was hoping Cicely or someone at IObit would reply about the drive install-choice missing, at an upgrade install?

Have you tried customizing the scan settings?

I always go into the settings so I can customize what I want my scan to do. If there is a specific category of your registry you don't want it to modify simply set customize the scan in the settings. If you look in the settings you will see there are alot of features that can be enabled or disabled for most aspects of the scan. If you don't want it to clear your browsing history than uncheck the options under the privacy sweep. :razz:

Yes I did

I always go into the settings so I can customize what I want my scan to do. If there is a specific category of your registry you don't want it to modify simply set customize the scan in the settings. If you look in the settings you will see there are alot of features that can be enabled or disabled for most aspects of the scan. If you don't want it to clear your browsing history than uncheck the options under the privacy sweep. :razz:

That is how I got along with ASC since version 3 was to always go in and make sure it was set to not clear history, after the first few disasters and a lost client.

The lost history can anger some users so greatly as to turn them off of the product so you would think they would dialog the choices in the first install instead of assuming.

This product still can not offer any solution to registry errors except deletion of the key. If someone accidentally moves a folder and ASC comes up and offers the solution to reconnect the registry key to the new location then a user can realize the mistake and restore the folder to it's proper location and save some time. This especially happens on shortcuts.

People are using SD cards, thumb drives, USB sync cables... stuff gets moved around and it's nice to have a product fix the shortcuts instead of just deleting them.

It's not a new idea or new technology. Windoctor could fix these things in 1998...

Archived