IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Help - My wireless screwed up using Smart Defrag

After I used the defrag and optimize option, my wireless connection died not long after, and now my computer can't detect any wireless networks. There is no restore option, so I don't know how to fix this.

I was able to connect by manually entering in the wireless network nickname to the prefered network list with the password, but the computer still can't detect anything nor seem to remember my input so I have to redo it every time. Some settings got changed, but I don't know how to fix it. I tried to restore using Windows Restore, but it doesn't restore to anything, and I'm not sure if that's connected to the Smart Defrag. Currently, everytime I tried to "refresh network list", I get the message saying make sure the wireless switch is on, which it is. Otherwise, I get a message saying Windows is not configured to using this network. So, please let me know how I can fix this so my computer detects wirless networks using Windows again. Thank you.

Hi Ryz05,

SD should not do that, what other security programs are you using?

Try to choose "Let Windows chose what's best for my computer" from "Performance Options" in Advanced System Properties.

Try check disk in tools of local disk properties.

Finally, you can try system file checker where you can find detailed explanation here .

I hope this is helpful.

Hi enoskype,

The only other security software besides McAfee Virus Scanner is Malwarebyte's Anti-malware, and those two never gave me problems. I uninstalled Malwarebyte, but it didn't fix the problem. The solutions you suggested didn't work either, and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the Defrag and Optimize option of the Smart Defrag. I was able to connect, but only after entering the network password, and the Windows wireless network still has problems with remembering the password, so the wireless disconnects automatically after some time. It is also strange that it says I'm not connected (with a red cross by the wireless computer icon), but clearly I have connection and its description says that I am connected.

wi fi is delicate and often gets messed up, try right click the icon in the tray bottom right and select the repair option this fixes most occasions.

if using a laptop check the wifi slider has not accidentally slide to off position this happened to me once and I spent all day messing around before someone pointed it out.

Addition to sunny staines, recent security updates of Windows has caused similar things that you mention to my wireless adjustments.

Rzy05, as I manage most of the files in my disk and there are many excluded files located to the places I like, SD is not my prime defragmenter. But I experience same behaviour as you explain. So, I will be very surprized if the reason of all the wireless problems you describe are because of Smart Defrag.

On the PCs that I use SD as the defragmenter (Mostly Vistas) I don't have that kind of poblems.

Cheers.

Do you think it's possible that Windows Service Pack 3 is messing up my wireless? It's interesting how you said recent Windows security updates have given similar symptoms. Currently, my Windows wireless has trouble detecting networks and I'm able to use the wireless briefly by manually typing in the network nickname and the password. Should I uninstall Service Pack 3? Even when I am connected, the Wireless icon has a red cross saying I have no connection. It's very wierd.

I did a search on google on this and it appears many problems with wireless connection are connected to Vista, so I'm suspecting it is Service Pack 3 that is the problem.

Update: A similar problem is explained here in which Windows says a person's not connect when he is:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/154112-vista-says-im-not-connected-internet-while-i-am-connected.html

I ran the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool from the given link and it says one component (NAT) is not compatible, which could be the source of my wireless problem - my wireless router is incompatible with Vista (and therefore SP 3). Microsoft should've given a warning instead of headaches afterwards. It's wierd that the wireless failed so suddenly after awhile of proper functioning.

Ryz05,

It is very hard to say exactly that it is because of SP3, as the hardware and software combinations are nearly endless, but it is a great probability!!! I would also check if there is an update for the drivers of wireless.

If there exists a forum for your specific make of pc/laptop, the most probable way to find out the cure is, to go there or go to Microsoft's discussion groups (Example: here).

The last thing I would do is to uninstall SP3.

There is one other common thing with you that I use McAfee Security Center. Downloaded it from Australian server and using version 9.0 Build 9.0.286, without prior problems. Worths trying usig that version. Virus Scan version is 13.0.218.

Cheers.

Hi Ryzo5-did you just recently install SP3?-reason I ask is because MS sent out a crap load of updates @ a week to 10 days ago-personally I choose to download after notification(held off on SP3 for months) if you suspect updates are the culprit,go to add/remove and check the box "show updates" and start picking them off one by one-newest first-you can always get them back-if you're set on auto updates,they will sneak in while you sleep(fn' Micrsoft :twisted:)best of luck

I'm not going to uninstall SP3 and I don't think McAfee is the problem. However, I do believe SP3 is incompatible with something like NAT on my laptop, like the Internet Connectivity Evaluation tool says. This problem is shared by others who have Vista SP1 I believe and apparently, some wireless drivers can't support Vista or SP3. I will update the wireless drivers and check for windows updates. Good thing is I have the wireless working, even though I have a red cross on the wireless icon and Windows still can't detect any wireless network servers.

Someone mentioned on here http://www.techsupportforum.com/networking-forum/networking-support/46094-1-3-computers-can-t-find-wireless-network.html to reset the Internet Protocol TCP/IP, which I might try later.

Thank you, Dch48 for the suggestion. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

more things to try ........disconnect your router at the mains and pc's for 15 mins then re connect with firewall turned off

this will reset the router and eliminate the firewall.

then

delete the network wi fi settings and set up from scratch again in case something has got corrupted.

last resort

try helpline for the router

[had xp sp3 since beta days never had a problem with it]

I updated my drivers and rebooted my computer, now the red cross is gone from the wireless icon like it's supposed to. My internet works like before, but the only problem now is Windows still can't detect any wireless networks, not even the one I'm connected to. However, the Access Connections that come with ThinkVantage from IBM detects servers so I can connect from there, though I might still have to manually input my network nickname and password to the preferred networks for Windows again the next time the problem occurs. I still suspect that the SP3 is not compatible with some wireless drivers, and Microsoft probably had not come up with the bug fix except for recommending to get a driver from their "Vista compatible" list. To fix the Windows wireless network detection, it might be a corrupted TCP/IP, so I'll try the reset as the forum link I posted earlier suggested.

Update: The TCP/IP reset did not help, so Windows still couldn't detect any network servers.

It might be that the ThinkVantage Access Connections is interfering with Windows' ability to detect wireless networks especially with SP3 and maybe Vista SP1, but it's not a major problem because my wireless is working now.

Archived