IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Infinitive explorer windows when loggin with remote desktop/TS the 1st time without fullscreen

jasb

Hi,

Do this test:

- Win2013 std

- IOBIT current version

- create a user named "newuser"

If you login via RDP/TS, but change settings on the RDP client to use a resolution bellow full screen, so don't use full screen, use the "newuser", you'll see that endless explorer windows will be opening, and the machine will end up crashing.

Until i login one in full screen mode, every time i login via RDP, that will happen, after i login in full screen via RDP, i can use a lower resolution and it'll work fine.

No matter if they're local of AD users, happens on every new user (maybe a problem when creating the profile).

Were you able to reproduce it?

Hi jasb,

Thanks for your feedback.

We did the test as you mentioned, but sorry to tell you that we did not reproduce the issue that you mentioned. Please check and make sure that you have the latest Start Menu 8 1.2.1 and you can download it from http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=15883

If you meet the issue again, please send us the related screenshots.

Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Thank you for supporting IObit!

Hi,

Yes I'm with the latest version.

Well it's impossible not to reproduce it there.

Did you try to connect via remote desktop, for example with a resolution os 600x800 on the RDP client (not full screen) ?

Please do the test with a newarly created user.

Hi everyone,

I am seeing the same thing as jasb, and it is bringing down a corporate server. Attached is a (large, sorry!) screenshot. This is what you are seeing;

1) The screenshot is of a Windows 7 Professional 64bit sp1, connecting to a 2012 Foundation Server running RDS.

2) While connecting to the server through RDP, I am watching the Task Manager of the server using UVNC, logged in as the administrator.

3) While only a few Windows Explorers are visible on the left, in the task manager on the right you can see Haus has 197 processes open, of which 186 are windows explorers. Those 186 happened within a matter of seconds.

4) The only way to stop it (the crash takes about 30 seconds, as it eventually opens around 6-8,000 explorers) is to click the account in Task Manager and Sign them out. They cannot get to the start menu log off option in the RDP session as their profile is too busy populating windows. Disconnecting doesn't help, as it continues to open more in the session.

5) This only started happening about 4 days ago, and the server did do a Windows Update and reboot over the previous weekend.

6) I was on 1.2.0, then, after your suggestion below, found 1.2.1 at majorgeeks (your link points back to this forum post). I uninstalled 1.2.0, tracked down the IOBit folders in each user's LocalLow folder and deleted them, then installed 1.2.1

7) Unfortunately, unlike jasb, this happens whether it is full screen RDP or not. I would say there is a possibility it has something to do with resolution, however, as I can stabilize it if I start at full screen, then log off, then re-open at either 800x600 or 1024x768. After logging off a second time, I appear to be able to open at any resolution without it fussing, but if I restart the server, it starts up again. The logoffs can be either graceful from within the RDP session, or using the task manager of the server.

8) Yes, my work pc is powerful enough to play skyrim 8:)

• 1 month later...

Same Issue

I have a Terminal Server that is also having the same issue. The one thing that I noticed is that for every instance of explorer.exe that was running there was a copy of check.exe running as well that was using up quite a lot of CPU cycles.

Is this something that IObit is looking at fixing?

Thanks!

Hi whuisman,

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry for my late reply.

The issue you mentioned will be solved in next version. Please update your Start Menu 8 when the new version is released to solve the issue

Thanks for choosing IObit to care your PC .:-D

I've been experiencing the same RDP issues across a variety of boxes running Win 8.1 RTM, except I've been using Remote Desktop Connection Manager 2.2. My symptoms are a little different than above, I've experienced it on first boot and RDP connection after install, some have been running happily for days and then failed on a new RDP connection, and I've had it fail at install time (installed over RDP).

I'll take a look at this version tomorrow and post feedback. If there are any remaining issues and I can get it in an easily reproducible state inside a VM are you interested in a copy? (Will probably be about a 6GB download)

P.S. The IP address of these forums is currently listed blacklisted by Sonicwall as belonging to a botnet. You can review here:

http://botnet.global.sonicwall.com/view

I would of visited these forums before now but I had to get our IT guys to whitelist your IP in our Sonicwall firewall. There are 800 other domains sharing your IP addess :(

Not resolved in new version

Hi guys,

The version posted above does not resolve these issues.

I've found I can very easily reproduce the problem if I install Start Menu 8 inside an ESXi virtual machine, then clone the machine and remote desktop to the VM without first logging in via the local console. I know this is a very specific case but it's probably still the same root cause of the problems the others are seeing.

I am:

* Using the MSDN image of Windows 8.1 RTM (en_windows_8_1_x64_dvd_2707217.iso).

* During install I create an administrator user named hal, and after install I set a password on this user.

* I install some of our own software, which configures the Windows environment, probably most relevant is editing the Start screen profile (removing a bunch of icons).

* Start Menu 8 is installed.

* Sometimes at this stage on a reboot, if a connection is made via RDP the problem will happen.

* I shut down the VM and clone it to a new VM. This causes the first time welcome stuff to be displayed again "Hi; We're setting things up for you" etc...

* If I let it get to the login screen and then remote in it very consistently causes this file explorer issue to happen.

As already noted I can supply a VM if you'd like, can export it to OVF format (open virtualization format), which most VM software can work with. Although I'd expect that you should be able to reproduce it yourselves without too much hassle by following the above steps.

Happens in clean install of 8.1 RTM

To rule out anything we're doing with the install of our own software I installed Start Menu 8 by itself into a clean VM and the problem reproduced before I was even able to clone the VM.

* MSDN image of Windows 8.1 RTM (en_windows_8_1_x64_dvd_2707217.iso).

* During install I create an administrator user named hal, and after install I set a password on this user.

* Remote Desktop connections on, and Windows Firewall off.

* Start Menu 8 is installed.

* VM is rebooted, during my test it failed at this point, creating the File Explorer windows. However it does not always fail at this point.

* I shut down the VM and clone it to a new VM. This causes the first time welcome stuff to be displayed again "Hi; We're setting things up for you" etc...

* If I let it get to the login screen and then remote in it very consistently causes this file explorer issue to happen.

Hi ClintE,

Thanks for helping us improve us products. For the issue about " Start Menu 8", I have reported it to our programmers again. They will test and give solution asap.

Besides, thanks for tell us the the issue about Sonicwall. We will communicate with them to add us into whitelist asap.;-)

You are such an warmhearted guy. It is really happy to have friends like you. Cheers. :wink:

Archived