IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Extreme issue -- need assistance

Salutations.

Yesterday, November the 8th, I began a run of 'Smart Defrag' to organize two drive partitions and optimize my overall performance.

I noticed the length of time needed for such an endeavor so I decided to let my computer do it's thing while I was away, (naturally).

Somewhere along the lines, my computer shut off, or the power was dropped mid-defrag.

I power-on my computer the same night, and nothing is different. My drives are whole, all the files are still there.

However, this morning I power-on my computer, and a whole drive partition, E:/, is missing from my drive list.

This partition was my largest, and contains most of my essential software/files, so I was immediately horrified.

I attempted 'System Restore' but to no avail. Smart Defrag shows no association with my drive partition and I'm without a drive. I can't stress enough how imperative it is that I have my drives restored.

Any assistance, please and thank you in advance.

________

HOW TO ROLL A JOINT

detailer,

I looked for some system-recovery software, so we're branching off the same tree.

I've located all the files in pieces (fragments, excuse that) in my Temp file, so all the pieces are there. However, the partition that they existed on is no longer.

I just need something that will erh, 're-fragment' the pieces and put them back on the partition of my drive.

Ring bells, I trust?

________

EroticaExotica

Hi llynok

Did a power failure occur in your building/street? It can be so short, that one only notice a flickering of the light.

How long have you had the partition? Did you remember to initialize it after you had made it?

How far back did you try with Windows system restore?

Do you still have the partition - just without a name? One of the things you said sounded like that.

At the moment I cannot think of a smart restore procedure.

Have you tried a full diskscan/scandisk?

Cheers

solbjerg

detailer,

I looked for some system-recovery software, so we're branching off the same tree.

I've located all the files in pieces (fragments, excuse that) in my Temp file, so all the pieces are there. However, the partition that they existed on is no longer.

I just need something that will erh, 're-fragment' the pieces and put them back on the partition of my drive.

Ring bells, I trust?

Hi llynok

Did a power failure occur in your building/street? It can be so short, that one only notice a flickering of the light.

How long have you had the partition? Did you remember to initialize it after you had made it?

How far back did you try with Windows system defrag?

Do you still have the partition - just without a name? One of the things you said sounded like that.

At the moment I cannot think of a smart restore procedure.

Have you tried a full diskscan/scandisk?

Cheers

solbjerg

Yes, a full power failure for a few seconds.

The partition has existed since my last re-installation of Windows in maybe spring of this year.

I didn't use the Windows Defrag.

No, I can't even see the partition. The drive itself is divided in three parts, C: (local) and D: and E:. The E:/ is missing in absolute. The drive doesn't recognize the extra space, and all parts from it are missing.

I have tried system restore, no avail and a NTFS Data retriever -- nothing.

Very frustrated and without a lot of needed data.

________

LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

hi llynok

yes something of a catastrophe!

I didn't say Windows defrag - did I?

At least what I mean is Windows chkdisk - what was formerly known as scandisk, and the full version - checking both files and space.

If the power was lost while the defrag was trying to move a large block of data, I guess that could really be a bad thing.

Still haven't come up with a smart solution, wonder if there is one.

Someone out there must have experienced something like it, and may know more.

Cheers - (take a long draught)

solbjerg

The partition has existed since my last re-installation of Windows in maybe spring of this year.

No, I can't even see the partition. The drive itself is divided in three parts, C: (local) and D: and E:. The E:/ is missing in absolute. The drive doesn't recognize the extra space, and all parts from it are missing.

Hi again llynok

During a defrag the disks are spinning and the heads move over them and pick up data, and places it somewhere else, but when a power failure occurs the heads fall down on the disks before they have stopped spinning and if one is just a bit unlucky it can make a part of the disk unreadable.

So you have to check for bad sectors anyway.

Sorry for your plight!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi again llynok

During a defrag the disks are spinning and the heads move over them and pick up data, and places it somewhere else, but when a power failure occurs the heads fall down on the disks before they have stopped spinning and if one is just a bit unlucky it can make a part of the disk unreadable.

So you have to check for bad sectors anyway.

Sorry for your plight!

Cheers

solbjerg

Alright, this ought to be a tickle.

Believe it or not, I took a scientific approach to see if it was a physical issue, rather than an internal data issue.

I put the whole hard drive in a static-free bag, in the freezer, upside-down.

About ten minutes later, I re-attached and CHKDSK ran immediately. The drive re-aligned itself and I have full functionality along with full data on my drive.

Knowledge is power!

Thanks for the help anyway.

~Llynok

________

Laguna Bay Condominium Pattaya

Hi llynok

I concur with samr

Please enlighten us to what the science is behind that procedure!

Cheers

solbjerg

Believe it or not, I took a scientific approach to see if it was a physical issue, rather than an internal data issue.

About ten minutes later, I re-attached and CHKDSK ran immediately. The drive re-aligned itself and I have full functionality along with full data on my drive.

Knowledge is power!

~Llynok

Knowledge is power!

~Llynok

Llynok,

I take my hat off to that.:-o :shock:

hi detailer

The situation described in your link is not the same as llynok's situation.

I am fairly certain that a Chckdsk would have accomplished the same thing for llynok.

But it is nice to know that one has a chance to save important information in case ones harddisk breaks down.

Cheers

solbjerg

OK this had me going!! so I looked around and found this- but where on earth(or somewhere else) did this idea come from? :-oThere are several more links that cover this, but it appears it may be a temporary fix, and data should be transferred ASAP

hi sunny

interesting about the car radio, - good to know

About condensation, I think the critical situation for condensation occurs when one takes the extremely cold (usually freezers operate at -18°C = -0.4°F) harddisk and install it in the cabinet, the cold surfaces will then condense the water vapor in the air. A bit dangerous I would think! (° = Alt+0176)

Cheers

solbjerg

freezing has been around for ages, has 50% chance apparently but you only short time span before the drive heats up ans goes kaput again, not used it myself, also handy for unlocking the pin numbers on car radio's but leave in overnight at least -5c

Hi llynok,

The same thing has just happened to me!

I asked for a Defrag and Optimise of an external drive and after realising how long it was going to take, I stopped it. It just sat there saying "stopping" for a good few minutes, so I got on with other things but then an updater on an other piece of software restarted the computer.

After the reboot, the drive was gone! I turned the drive off and back on again and windows now sees it but cant access it as it says... "The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". Chkdsk won’t even look at it.

I can only assume that the "stopping" process hadn’t finished properly by the time the computer rebooted.

REQUEST: any help in recovering this drive would be greatly appreciated

WARNING: think twice about stopping a Defrag and Optimise

Thanks

Hi IcyFrostPyro

Have you had any problems?

When you read the forum it can seem like a lot of problems, but in comparison with the millions that use the application, it is just the unlucky few, llynok's problem was due to a power failure, and one can't with a good conscience blame Smartdefrag for that.

And amascall - we do not know how defragged the external drive was, or how much free space it had. It is often a good idea to run the defrag alone first and then afterwards the defrag&optimize.

Have you tried to unplug the external drive, do a restart of the computer, close it again and plug in the external drive again and then start the infernal machine once again :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

alright so many problems have been happening.... im thinking of stopping using Iobit SD

Hi Solbjerg,

Yes sadly, I have done all that.

The drive was 500Gb with 200Gb free. I had previously defragged it and it was around 7 to 8% fragmented when I did the defrag and optimise.

I just dont know what to do with the thing. Do I just accept that I have lost the files and try reformatting? I am reluctant to do this as I know this will mean no chance of recovering anything.

Archived