IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Problems and questions about start menu 8

steven6282

I've recently finally made the move to Windows 8 because I bought a new laptop with 8 and figured if I'm going to adjust there I may as well use it on my desktop to. Needless to say I went with Start Menu 8 because I hate the Metro crap on a desktop PC and missed the utility of my Start Menu. However there are some problems Start Menu 8 are displaying that is making it nearly as frustrating to use as the Metro screen.

First my primary issue, 95% of the time when I open a program from the Start Menu 8 menu, it opens in the background (behind other windows I have open). Extremely annoying and I can't find any way to fix it. I know it's not related to the program because if I pin the program to my taskbar or open it from the metro screen it opens in the foreground as expected. Is there a work around for this problem, or is it being corrected in a future release?

Next is the reliability of Start Menu 8. Since installing yesterday and having to reboot for drivers and such multiple times, 3 out of the 10 or so reboots Start Menu 8 simply failed to start at all. Any idea what this is all about? The other times when it does start, it's slow to adapt the task bar to it (task bar icons being shifted over and it appearing behind the taskbar). I figured this would've been a an actual button on the taskbar, but it seems more like it's something that simply sits over the top of the taskbar.

Last actual problem that I'm having. I have my task bar set to auto hide, and it seems like Start Menu 8 just has not been tested thoroughly with is setup or something. Sometimes when the taskbar auto hides, Start Menu 8 icon doesn't auto hide all the way with it. If I hit my windows key while an app is up like Chrome or IE it brings up the start menu but doesn't bring the taskbar to the foreground, so I have a start menu hovering there and no taskbar. I did this a lot in Windows 7 just to get to the taskbar if chrome or IE was sitting over the top of it like they do sometimes, I think it's a bug in those programs but it remains that it would be extremely useful if Start Menu 8 could send the window messages to the taskbar to bring it to the foreground when doing this. Lastly concerning this, after hitting the windows key, Start Menu 8 does not take focus, thus if I go back to or rather stay on a webpage and start interacting with it again, Start Menu 8 just sits there open until I either hit the windows key again or click the start menu then click back out of it.

Now on to some questions about Start Menu 8. Are there any plans to implement drag and drop to Start Menu 8? I'd like to have the ability to drag and drop stuff to pin it, or create shortcuts like I did in Windows 7. It was very convenient to be able to do that before.

Any chance of having Start Menu 8 duplicated on each taskbar if you have a multi screen system and show taskbars on all screens?

And how about (unless I'm missing this somewhere already being there) an option to disable highlighting of newly installed software. I always disabled that by default in Windows 7, but don't see a way to do so in Start Menu 8.

Thanks for any responses!

Hi steven6282 ,

Thanks for your detailed feedbacks.

For the issue you mentioned, please take the steps below to see whether it can be solved:

1)Please check whether you have the latest Start Menu8 V1.2.1 and you can download it from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...rt_menu_8.html

2) If you do not have the latest version, please follow the steps below to uninstall the current version and install the latest one.

Open the installation directory of Start Menu 8>>find unins00.exe>>double click to run it and follow the tips to uninstall the program.

The installation directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\Start Menu 8 or C:\Program Files\IObit\Start Menu 8

Then download the 1.2.1 version of Start Menu 8 from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/start_menu_8.html and install it to check whether it solves the issue.

For the issue" I'd like to have the ability to drag and drop stuff to pin it", we are happy to tell you that you can drag the shortcuts of the programs to Start Menu 8 in the latest version.

If you have any other issues, please feel free to tell us.

Thanks for supporting IObit. :wink:

Archived