IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestions for Smart Defrag v3

enoskype

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I find a few issues with this new beta 3.

GUI is far too big needs to have a resizing option for a smaller format.

Two way in the world is the fragmented icon mango color it has all ways been red since windows 1.1 and yes i have used windows 1.1 and used dos mode as well.

Third issue with this is that the def raging process takes far too long.The speed of it is so bad that my normal windows defrager def raged my system 10 times faster.

Hi Xcom

I wondered about your method of comparison concerning the defrag speed of SD and Windows defragmenter?

I do not at the moment run beta programs, but I tried it with version SD 2.9 and Windows defragmenter in OS XP sp.3 on the same machine - one after the other.

I started with Windows defragmenter and it used 26 minutes to do the job

I then tried SmartDefrag (defrag/optimize) and it used 9 minutes.

After that I ran a Boot defrag because Windows had told me that there were 3 MFT fragments.

Then I ran Windows again and it now used 13 minutes to do the job

After that I ran SD and it now used 4,5 minutes for the job.

Finally I asked Windows defragmenter to analyse and it said that there were 2 fragments and that no defragmentation was necessary.

So at least in version 2.9 it seems as if it is faster than Windows on my machine. At least with the sequence I used. I could try it the other way round in a week or so :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

I find a few issues with this new beta 3.

GUI is far too big needs to have a resizing option for a smaller format.

Two way in the world is the fragmented icon mango color it has all ways been red since windows 1.1 and yes i have used windows 1.1 and used dos mode as well.

Third issue with this is that the def raging process takes far too long.The speed of it is so bad that my normal windows defrager def raged my system 10 times faster.

Hi Xcom46,

Thanks for your feedback.

For the concern " GUI is far too big needs to have a resizing option for a smaller format.", I will report it to our product team for consideration.

For the slow speed, we would like to see that Smart Defrag 3 with the new generation defrag engine can defrag much more deeply. Thus, it may take a litte longer time.

Welcome more your suggestions.

Thanks for choosing IObit to care your PC.

Hi Cicely,

Nice to hear that it will have a new face but if it's the only face that we will see till Smart Defrag v4 it will be boring ! :roll:

Just set it on auto defrag turn the scheduler on and forget about it. No need to see its face:idea:

I am one of those people who love's utility apps whose face you never have to see. "Set it and forget it" Can't beat that when it comes to a utility app like a defragger, anti-malware program etc IMO

I have uninstalled version 3 and i am trying to delete the remaining folders and they will not delete and i have no idea way.

System is saying that it is being used but it is not as far as i know.I guess i might have to use Revo uninstaller http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/revo_uninstaller.html Now from major geeks

I looked every where %appdata% folder %temp% folder my 86x folder my registry and services app.And even looked in my taskmanger nothing.

But seems that the folders that remain in the 86x folder are not removing.

Any ideas??

Hi Xcom

My guess is that the uninstall procedure was a bit too hasty - in that way that the (process) tray wasn't emptied of the shortcut to the application prior to uninstalling.

Cheers

solbjerg

I have uninstalled version 3 and i am trying to delete the remaining folders and they will not delete and i have no idea way.

System is saying that it is being used but it is not as far as i know.I guess i might have to use Revo uninstaller http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/revo_uninstaller.html Now from major geeks

I looked every where %appdata% folder %temp% folder my 86x folder my registry and services app.And even looked in my taskmanger nothing.

But seems that the folders that remain in the 86x folder are not removing.

Any ideas??

Hi Xcom

My guess is that the uninstall procedure was a bit too hasty - in that way that the (process) tray wasn't emptied of the shortcut to the application prior to uninstalling.

Cheers

solbjerg

No i exited the program even in the Notification area.And it still did not want to delete.

So then i figured i would try to restart system and that seemed to work.I never had an issue like that be for when trying to uninstall Iobit products.

Add the date and time each drive has been auto defragged. Place the date and time of the last defrag in the "Summary Section" There is room

Hi Buddahfan,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I will report it to our product team for consideration. It sounds good.

By the way, you can see the the time of the Last Automatic Defrag when you hover your mouse on the icon of Smart Defrag on system tray.

Welcome more your suggestions. Cheers. :wink:

Hi Buddahfan,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I will report it to our product team for consideration. It sounds good.

By the way, you can see the the time of the Last Automatic Defrag when you hover your mouse on the icon of Smart Defrag on system tray.

Welcome more your suggestions. Cheers. :wink:

Thanks for the heads up. However the hover over shows only the last date, not the last time or Drive letter. Though it is logical to assume that all Drive letters checked were auto defragged:-)

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my suggestions / Feedback

1) SD run as a service not just as a startup program:

The reason for this is for SD to start working even if no user has logged in, this

is a must have for windows servers, but for other editions of windows it's also great because as soon as windows starts or a user logs off, SD is able to start working before loading some additional files, hence further optimizing the HDD.

2) make SD 64-bit:

32-bit programs works on 64-bit, but if a program "IS" 64-bit then it performs better in 64-bit environment. This could be handled in two different ways:

A) to have two installers, one for 32-bit and another for 64-bit

B) that the installer has both versions, it will install 32 bit for 32 bit windows and 64 bit for 64 bit windows or let the user decide what version to install.

3) Allow to fully resize columns, list of drives and drive map (and any other layout item) and to store the new configuration, so that every time you open SD the customized layout presentation is preserved. I noticed that this point is well explained in this thread:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=15675 by enoskype

4) A more comprehensive boot time defrag:

Right now boot time defrags: Page file, Hibernation file, MFT and system files.

Would be great to add the default defrag methods to also be performed at boot time:

A) Defrag

B) Defrag and Fast Optimize

C) Defrag and Full Optimize

The reason?, for SD to further defrag and/or optimize the drive(s). Specially for the "C" drive, since some files could not even get defragmented by SD because they are in use. For example. If I have a startup program like an AV, firewall, etc. the open files are not defragmented and they are not considered system files, hence they are not defragmented with the current boot time defrag

And let the user choose when to do a “Boot Defrag”, “Boot Defrag and Fast Optimize”, and “Boot Defrag and Full Optimize”.

For example, the recommended boot time is every 7 day first boot.

So in a separate setting you could choose how often the other defrag methods will be run, and allow each method to be configured individually, for example:

Defrag - Every 7 day first boot

Defrag and Fast Optimize - Every 14 day first boot

Defrag and Full Optimize - Every 60 day first boot.

Obviously Iobit would define the default setting, just as the "every 7 day first boot" for the current boot time. Perhaps the recommended setting will be to have disabled those additional 3 boot time defrag?

5) SD to be aware when a USB drive is going to be safely remove:

Sometimes when you want to safely remove a USB flash drive or USB EHDD, SD will not allow to do that, even if the USB drive is not set for automatic defrag.

That feature should also work for USB drives that are set for automatic defrag and that are being defragmented, so SD detects the "Safely Remove" request and releases the drives for safe removal.

6) Improve the drive map, so SD mark with a different color the page file, the hibernation file, the VSS files and the system files:

Doing so will give a better idea of how fragmented are those files, since at this moment all that files are all grouped as "ummovable files"

7) All users installation:

SD 2.9 installs only for the current user, so if another user logs then SD will not start

This could be addressed with two methods:

1) Include an option to install to all users

2) Make SD to run as a service. I think this is the best approach, sine SD could start working without any user logged.

Hope my suggestions get considered to improve SD :-D

EDIT: Moved from Send your feedback for SD3, as this is not feedback and is indeed suggestions

Excellent!

1) SD run as a service not just as a startup program:

The reason for this is for SD to start working even if no user has logged in, this

is a must have for windows servers, but for other editions of windows it's also great because as soon as windows starts or a user logs off, SD is able to start working before loading some additional files, hence further optimizing the HDD.

2) make SD 64-bit:

32-bit programs works on 64-bit, but if a program "IS" 64-bit then it performs better in 64-bit environment. This could be handled in two different ways:

A) to have two installers, one for 32-bit and another for 64-bit

B) that the installer has both versions, it will install 32 bit for 32 bit windows and 64 bit for 64 bit windows or let the user decide what version to install.

3) Allow to fully resize columns, list of drives and drive map (and any other layout item) and to store the new configuration, so that every time you open SD the customized layout presentation is preserved. I noticed that this point is well explained in this thread:

http://forums.iobit.com/showthread.php?t=15675 by enoskype

4) A more comprehensive boot time defrag:

Right now boot time defrags: Page file, Hibernation file, MFT and system files.

Would be great to add the default defrag methods to also be performed at boot time:

A) Defrag

B) Defrag and Fast Optimize

C) Defrag and Full Optimize

The reason?, for SD to further defrag and/or optimize the drive(s). Specially for the "C" drive, since some files could not even get defragmented by SD because they are in use. For example. If I have a startup program like an AV, firewall, etc. the open files are not defragmented and they are not considered system files, hence they are not defragmented with the current boot time defrag

And let the user choose when to do a “Boot Defrag”, “Boot Defrag and Fast Optimize”, and “Boot Defrag and Full Optimize”.

For example, the recommended boot time is every 7 day first boot.

So in a separate setting you could choose how often the other defrag methods will be run, and allow each method to be configured individually, for example:

Defrag - Every 7 day first boot

Defrag and Fast Optimize - Every 14 day first boot

Defrag and Full Optimize - Every 60 day first boot.

Obviously Iobit would define the default setting, just as the "every 7 day first boot" for the current boot time. Perhaps the recommended setting will be to have disabled those additional 3 boot time defrag?

5) SD to be aware when a USB drive is going to be safely remove:

Sometimes when you want to safely remove a USB flash drive or USB EHDD, SD will not allow to do that, even if the USB drive is not set for automatic defrag.

That feature should also work for USB drives that are set for automatic defrag and that are being defragmented, so SD detects the "Safely Remove" request and releases the drives for safe removal.

6) Improve the drive map, so SD mark with a different color the page file, the hibernation file, the VSS files and the system files:

Doing so will give a better idea of how fragmented are those files, since at this moment all that files are all grouped as "ummovable files"

7) All users installation:

SD 2.9 installs only for the current user, so if another user logs then SD will not start

This could be addressed with two methods:

1) Include an option to install to all users

2) Make SD to run as a service. I think this is the best approach, sine SD could start working without any user logged.

Hope my suggestions get considered to improve SD :-D

Cicely,

Some excellent points were made,I've asked about one or two...I know IObit will have the very best features! :-)

-Cowboy

Hi ektorbarajas,

Sincerely thanks for your precious suggestions and detailed explanations. I will report these suggestions to our product team for consideration. According to your suggestions, I wan to make some supplements as follows:

For your second "make SD 64-bit" : All IObit products can support both 32-bit and 64-bit. No matter you have 32-bit or 64-bit , it can work well.

For the third suggestions " resize columns" , users can resize columns in SD 2.9. We have implemented the suggestions by enoskype. Besides, in Smart Defrag 3, user can enlarge and narrow the interface.

Your know Smart Defrag 3 Final Version is on the way. We might consider your suggestions in the next version.

Thanks for your precious to tell us these good ideas. Cheers. :mrgreen:

Archived