IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

registry cleaner

peggy3969

Hi peggy3969,

As a rule of thumb I do look to see what registry settings it has found to correct, but have always let it correct them. As a registry cleaner AWC is not very aggressive and it has never taken out anything I needed. If it does, you can go to restore and put it back in. There are a number of registry cleaning programs that are VERY aggressive and can cripple your computer taking out things that are important for the operation of the computer. Sometimes they take things out that still don't work right when they are put back in. Unless you are comfortable using such programs I would just let AWC handle cleaning the registry. If it does come up with a setting for a current program that hasn't been recently removed or updated, you might think twice about removing it. But as I said before-I have never had any problems with AWC removing anything it shouldn't.

samr.

registry cleaner

thanks samr, I usually try to figure out if I recognize something that should not be removed, but not understanding much about the registry I have never seen anything, so I have also used "correct problems" option. So far I have not had a problem. I try to remember to create a restore point before running scan just in case. Again thank you. :)

Hi peggy3969,

In AWC, click on "restore center" then "settings". Under "restore protection" make sure that "registry scanner" has a green check by it. This means that AWC will create a backup of any registry corrections it makes. They can be put back in later if needed. It will store up to the last 20 scan backups. Create system restore points only if you are doing something major. That way you don't have to make so many system restore points.

samr.

registry cleaner

thanks again samr, I checked settings in restore center, all boxes are checked. I did not know about this before you pointed it out. I guess you are saying that that I should run scan first then create restore point of registry (possibly system analysis) If I recognize something being removed or am not sure of it. I mostly just surf internet and have a few techie tools. No heavy computing, digital camera or other gadgets. I have XP pro os. Should my system restore take care of problems should they arise? I do fairly frequently install and uninstall some small freebie software, If I try it and decide I don't"t need it. So I am sure this adds to my need for a registry cleaner. Have been using older version of windows care for almost a year and very happy with it and the newer versions. Never had problem, but was confused by the message I was getting about over-cleaning. Your comments have been very helpful :lol:

hi peggy3969,

If you install and uninstall alot of software the registry scan probably will come up with lots of entries left behind when you take that software out. If the green checks are there you really don't have to create a restore point. AWC creates backups for you on it's own. If you determine you need to put them back just go to restore center and choose the backup by date and time, then click restore. You don't have to create a system restore point every time you scan. No need to waste the disc space. If you do run across something that isn't corrected by replacing a backup, use system restore to go to a time before you had the problem. I hope this explains better!

samr.

Archived