IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Vista Stage 3 of 3 update reboot loop

BlackIce

Ok,

So I've just updated to the lastest version today to give it a try. I went through all the tools and decided to scan and repair my registry etc... All that went fine and I was asked to reboot my PC (following the advice to create a backup registry etc.. And now the bad news.

So since then it's been going through the Configuring updates Stage 3 of 3 but just shuts down after a shortwhile. This just goes on an on and is just a loop.

I've tried going back to a retore point via the Vista CD, which there are none. I've tried fixing the boot problems via the Vista CD which fails. I've done some digging arround on here and the net and they tell you to delete the pending.xml file - which I didn't have. I did delete the registry keys as requested but to no avail.

Now browsing the IOBIT install folder, I noted there is a backup directory and a registrybackup.cab file (something like that anyway) so I'm guessing I somehow need to re-import that file?

So, here is where I ask for some help. Especially since it's your software that got me into this mess!!

All help appreciated.

Hi BlackIce

Do you mean that you do not have the program installed anymore?

Otherwise just open The program and go into the restore center, it should be straightforward. If you do not have the program installed anymore, then what options do you get if you right click on the file in question?

Cheers

solbjerg

Ok,

So I've just updated to the lastest version today to give it a try. I went through all the tools and decided to scan and repair my registry etc... All that went fine and I was asked to reboot my PC (following the advice to create a backup registry etc.. And now the bad news.

So since then it's been going through the Configuring updates Stage 3 of 3 but just shuts down after a shortwhile. This just goes on an on and is just a loop.

I've tried going back to a retore point via the Vista CD, which there are none. I've tried fixing the boot problems via the Vista CD which fails. I've done some digging arround on here and the net and they tell you to delete the pending.xml file - which I didn't have. I did delete the registry keys as requested but to no avail.

Now browsing the IOBIT install folder, I noted there is a backup directory and a registrybackup.cab file (something like that anyway) so I'm guessing I somehow need to re-import that file?

So, here is where I ask for some help. Especially since it's your software that got me into this mess!!

All help appreciated.

Hi there,

Sorry perhaps I wasn't very clear. The software is still installed but sadly my system is un-bootable so I can't actually log into Windows to run the software. I'm using another PC and I also have tools to browse the system drives in question.

But basically, the system is just booting up, and just keeps showing the Vista Stage 3 of 3 update 0% message as it does when MS deliver updates. But in this case, it reboots and continually does the same so I'm unable to log in :(

Have you tried safe mode, blackice?

solbjerg

Hi there,

Sorry perhaps I wasn't very clear. The software is still installed but sadly my system is un-bootable so I can't actually log into Windows to run the software. I'm using another PC and I also have tools to browse the system drives in question.

But basically, the system is just booting up, and just keeps showing the Vista Stage 3 of 3 update 0% message as it does when MS deliver updates. But in this case, it reboots and continually does the same so I'm unable to log in :(

Yup, I've tried safe mode (with our with out dos promt). I've also tried last known good.

I'm not sure if you rememer when MS released SP1 for vista? and there were tons of people who were in a continuous update 3 of 3 - loop? - this is the same thing. But NOT in any way associated with that incident as I've been working fine until I did the regisitry stuff today.

I've also tried the repairs from the Vista CD too - with no success.

Hello,

I just ran into the same problem. I tried safe mode, and it still looped back.

Luckly i have dual boot system and I am currently booting in XP.

Hopefully we can solve this without reinstalling Vista

Thanks

Different machine (with XP) here so hence I can research the problem etc...

Hi blackice, - really was like getting a chunk of black ice in the neck, huh?

When it had that loop earlier,- what did they then offer as solution?

Cheers

solbjerg

Yup, I've tried safe mode (with our with out dos promt). I've also tried last known good.

I'm not sure if you rememer when MS released SP1 for vista? and there were tons of people who were in a continuous update 3 of 3 - loop? - this is the same thing. But NOT in any way associated with that incident as I've been working fine until I did the regisitry stuff today.

I've also tried the repairs from the Vista CD too - with no success.

Hi blackice, - really was like getting a chunk of black ice in the neck, huh?

When it had that loop earlier,- what did they then offer as solution?

Cheers

solbjerg

Which loop? I've never had that loop before but if you are refering to the MS SP1 issue for Vista, then from what I've read this evening, they advised deleting the pending.xml file from the windows\winsxs directory. That file in my case doesn't exist because this is a different cause for a similar issue.

Hi BlackIce

Can you use the install cd to gain access to the computer then?

solbjerg

Which loop? I've never had that loop before but if you are refering to the MS SP1 issue for Vista, then from what I've read this evening, they advised deleting the pending.xml file from the windows\winsxs directory. That file in my case doesn't exist because this is a different cause for a similar issue.

Im back up and running on Vista. I used the installation cd and seleceted the repair windows option. I selected the Command prompt. Switch over to my Vista directory, which on my computer its D. Then went to the winsxs directory and delete the file called pending.xml. Rebooted. It still went into the stage 3 of 3, but after a minute it allowed my to log back in to Vista. Should I restore my registry?

thanks

Wow, three identical posts at once! Great minds think alike?:mrgreen:

lol i would have made it 4 but i got to the thread too late! so.... try use system restore if ASC restore function doesnt work. (for vista users, you have to boot into safe mode to do a system restore. at least for me)

Im back up and running on Vista. I used the installation cd and seleceted the repair windows option. I selected the Command prompt. Switch over to my Vista directory, which on my computer its D. Then went to the winsxs directory and delete the file called pending.xml. Rebooted. It still went into the stage 3 of 3, but after a minute it allowed my to log back in to Vista. Should I restore my registry?

thanks

You lucky lucky man! I've sadly no pending.xml :/ - that was one of the 1st things I tried. Odd how you have it and I don't :( And personally, I would enable a system restore point (switching it on if you have to) and then restoring the registry from AWC - oh and never touch the registry functions of AWC again (personally I'd uninstal).

Glad you're now OK though I'm green with envy. :twisted:

Hi BlackIce

Can you use the install cd to gain access to the computer then?

solbjerg

The vista CD allows a few options one of which is a command prompt so fom there you can launch things like regedit etc... I really don't want to reinstall at this stage.

lol i would have made it 4 but i got to the thread too late! so.... try use system restore if ASC restore function doesnt work. (for vista users, you have to boot into safe mode to do a system restore. at least for me)

I can't get into safe mode :( - I get the same loop what ever I do :cry:

This missing pending.xml file got me wondering....

So I've booted from the Vista CD again and checked the drives available. It's a raid 5 disk set and Vista supports it natively and there is a C drive (along with the data volumes etc...) but... (puts on Jedi mind trick face) this isn't the C drive your looking for!

I had mistook an old system partition on the main Raid set that I no longer use as the current C drive (another story of a knackerd Vista installation from some time back) What it has failed to do is access the standard raid 0 disk (on another controller). The other disk is where my propper installation sits so loading the Vista drivers should sort that one out!! Or accessing that via some tools I have should allow me to access that disk and delete pending.xml file.

Here's hoping!!

This missing pending.xml file got me wondering....

So I've booted from the Vista CD again and checked the drives available. It's a raid 5 disk set and Vista supports it natively and there is a C drive (along with the data volumes etc...) but... (puts on Jedi mind trick face) this isn't the C drive your looking for!

I had mistook an old system partition on the main Raid set that I no longer use as the current C drive (another story of a knackerd Vista installation from some time back) What it has failed to do is access the standard raid 0 disk (on another controller). The other disk is where my propper installation sits so loading the Vista drivers should sort that one out!! Or accessing that via some tools I have should allow me to access that disk and delete pending.xml file.

Here's hoping!!

Bingo - problem resolved. I deleted the pending.xml, still didn't work, did a repair from the Vista CD and that allowed me to boot AND log on. Yay!!

I've just restored the registry and I rebooted just to check again and it's all good! :-D. Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

Thank you for your feedback BlackIce

Glad to hear it is ok now.

Cheers

solbjerg

Bingo - problem resolved. I deleted the pending.xml, still didn't work, did a repair from the Vista CD and that allowed me to boot AND log on. Yay!!

I've just restored the registry and I rebooted just to check again and it's all good! :-D. Thanks to those who offered suggestions.

Reboot Loop

Exactly the same problem as others in this thread. My fix was to delete the "pending.xml" file and all other files with the timestamp of 11/13/2008, when the problem started. This then allowed a normal boot. At first it appeared that the loop had started again, BUT waiting for the usual reboot just started the login process and all has been well through three reboots and about four hours. Good luck to others with this problem. Micro$oft needs to do way more work on Vista!!!! The problem started with the normal update from Micro$oft yesterday. Thank the good Lord for forums and user feedback to the forums. Micro$oft was not helpful at all.

ok, i have the same problem, but the thing is that i dont know how to use command prompt very well. i have gotten command prompt to open using the vista install disk. but then i dont know how to navigate to the pending.xml file. could anyone give me a step by step guide of what to type in, in order to delete the pending.xml file? it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Archived