IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Programme Installation problems.

Ted

Hi, All,

This problem is probably basic to most of you.

Quite often when I'm installing a new programme the installer asks for a certain file and requests the Windows XP Home CD.

The installer can never find the particular the file it wants on the CD nor on the copy of my XP Home CD I have in Windows.

If I do a search and find the file myself on the CD the installation proceeds. This is quite annoying especially when six or seven files are involved. How can I overcome this?

I have modified a Registry Key to point SFC to the I386 folder in my copied XP Home CD in Windows and that works okay. Perhaps something along these lines is needed?

Hi, sunny staines,

Here is the file I use. You do need the I386 folder from the CD, though.

Don't forget to backup your Registry first.

SFC /Scannow Error

When you install Windows from a CD that has had a Service Pack streamlined into the installation files, and you run Windows File Protection's DOS commands, such as "sfc /scannow" it requests the original CD.

You insert the CD used to setup Windows but instead of accepting that disk, it repeatedly requests that you "Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2" CD.

To enable SFC /Scannow.

Copy the I386 folder from the XP Home installation CD to drive D:\

Open Registry and navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup.

There will be a list of strings there including "SourcePath"

Right-click on a blank part of the R/H section under the list and select New > String Value.

Name it ServicePackSourcePath.

Give it a value of D:\

Type: SFC /Scannow into Run.

This copies files from the I386 folder into the .dll cache.

===================================================

IcyFrostPyro

One of the offending programmes was my BenQ MiraScan scanner setup CD and the other was the installation Driver CD for a MSI TV@nywhere Plus video Capture card I installed today.

====================================================

hi sunny

I'll get back to you with that.

But usually on a laptop the install file is in the computer, and is readily accessible from run with the command sfc /scannow, but I have noticed that it doesn't work that way with the ASC3 add-in, it ask for the cd, and in this case it would be nice to change the command in the registry to make it run with the application's command from Iobit.

Cheers

solbjerg

p.s. Oh, I just saw that Ted had provided the explanation. Thank you Ted!

ted

how do you change the registry to point SFC to the i386 folder that would come in handy fo a xp media laptop we have with no original windows cd.

Ted

the laptop [a sony] came preinstalled, with a hidden image in a hidden partition.

I have found a i386 folder in the windows folder using windows explorer, should this be ok for your suggested fix.

I have tried using a XP Retail CD for SFC /SCANNOW but the laptop recognised the cd as being different from the installed version.

Hi enoskype

You are to be applauded! This was a perfect link, with very clear instructions!

Thank you very much!

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi sunny staines,

A useful article for SFC is here , to apply in different situations.

(You have to have a Service Pack streamlined into the installation files. Link)

Cheers.

Archived