IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

How to Lose Customers?

Lurker

Adware, SPAM...

Which is exactly what I found on my computer today after I rebooted it.

The culprit? NewUpdater.exe

Which was in my Smart Defrag 2 directory. Examination of the file showed it was downloaded immediately after reboot - presumably by the IObit updater.

Since I do not know the exact mechanism by which this happened, I have uninstalled all IObit products. I have subsequently made an exhaustive search of my registry and filesystem to remove all traces of anything IObit.

I have done this as I no longer find the company's practices trustworthy. Downloading and executing a program without notification or enduser authorization is common practice among malaware vendors. It should not be "acceptable" practice from a legitimate company. What makes this even more unconscionable is that one of IObit's three pillars is "security".

Whoever thought this up should be fired.

Likewise, whoever approved the idea.

But, do what you wish.

I am not a stockholder. And after today, I am no longer a customer.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just my opinion so don't get me wrong. At the installation stage, users are given the option to include the adware or not. Believe it or not, some users will find those help.

Other software giants are using this this process too. Kind of a marketing thing. What we can do is just make sure that we only select the components that we want to install. icon_smile.gif

Hi Lurker,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

What are the " Adware, SPAM" that you mentioned? It should be misunderstaingds. Please describe it more clearly with related screenshots.

Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

By the way, as mithcd said, there might be recommended product when you install a propram. But if you do not like it, you can decline.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Lurker,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

What are the " Adware, SPAM" that you mentioned? It should be misunderstaingds. Please describe it more clearly with related screenshots.

Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

By the way, as mithcd said, there might be recommended product when you install a propram. But if you do not like it, you can decline.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Archived