IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Possible boot problem after SD3 Beta

bnairb

I wanted to post an issue I've had with 2 laptops I have running Smart Defrag 3 Beta.

The two laptops are identical, Dell Vostro 3700 Win 7 Professional 64 bit. I had previously been running smart defrag 2.9.

On laptop 1 I installed SD3 a couple of weeks ago to see how it ran and how it behaved. Everything seemed fine so this past weekend I installed SD3 on the 2nd laptop. I set it for scheduled defrag and prioritize. That schedule may ran Saturday or Sunday, I can't remember. I may also have changed this scheduled setting on laptop1 at the same time. so it may also have had a scheduled defrag and prioritize over the weekend.

Monday, Laptop 1 would not boot. It would get to the windows logo splash screen and stay there. The drive activity light would flicker at a consistent rate of about 1 second. Not knowing why laptop 1 was not booting and not considering SD3 since it had been installed for a week or 2, the first thing I did on laptop 1 was to try loading windows from the last known good configuration. That failed. So I tried from the last restore point. That failed.

A few minutes after that, I went to boot laptop 2 to do some research on laptop 1's problem and laptop 2 had the same behavior: Stuck loading and the drive light flickering every second. At this point I realized something had changed on both laptops and remembered SD3 just being installed in the last couple of days on laptop 2. This time, on laptop 2, I booted to safe mode instead of last known good config or restore point, and uninstalled SD3. SD2 was also still listed in programs so I uninstalled that one too. Laptop 2 booted fine after that and has booted fine every day since then, so I can only deduce removing SD3 and SD2 solved the problem on laptop 2.

At this point I went back to laptop 1 and tried to boot to safe mode to remove the software, however it would not boot to safe mode. I suppose this could be from the failed last known good config and failed restore point. I am currently working on restoring laptop 1 from a backup.

I just wanted to post my experience in case anyone else happened to have a similar issue.

Hi bnairb ,

Thanks for your detailed feedback. Sorry to hear that you encountered.

Yeah, someone met the same issue as you did, but it is in Smart Defrag 3 beta version.

The issue has been solved in the final version of Smart Defrag 3. Would you like to download the final version of Smart Defrag from http://download.iobit.com/smart-defrag-v3.exe to see whether the issue continues?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Archived