IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Defrag stopped working out of the blue?

Jackdashack

THIS IS AN EDIT: I see several posts below warning against installing ver.3 on XP. Point taken. You'll see below I did install ver.3 on my XP, but only after the last version stopped working. So the problem is still viable. Why did the old version stop working on my XP. When I find that out I'll see how ver.3 runs on this XP. If slow then I'll re-install the old version. First, I have to figure out why the old version has acted like I explain in the following: END EDIT

I have several pc's. I still have a small netbook that runs great on XP, which is hooked up to a large monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. Been using this config for a long long time and also iObit's free programs with no problem. I decided to smartdefrag recently and after clicking on the icon the hour glass seems to start/stop/start/stop ... sputter and go away. I looked on task manager to see if it was there or the process. Nope? So after several attempts, even a reboot, it would not go. So I uninstalled it and downloaded this new ver. 3 Installed and clicked on the icon. Same thing. Hour glass started/stopped/started/stopped ... sputtered and quit! :?: So I just used the old standby by Auslogics to defrag.

But why has it stopped and why won't a new version of Un-smartdefrag git to work? :roll: Thanks for any help! Jack ":-D

Hi Jackdashack ,

Thanks for your feedback.

To look into the issue, please give us the following details:

1) Do you have Smart Defrag 2 Pro or free version?

2)If you have Smart Defrag 3 free, is the installation folder of SD2 are still there after installed SD3?

3) Please send us the related screenshots when there is no response.

Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Jackdashack ,

Thanks for your feedback.

To look into the issue, please give us the following details:

1) Do you have Smart Defrag 2 Pro or free version?

2)If you have Smart Defrag 3 free, is the installation folder of SD2 are still there after installed SD3?

3) Please send us the related screenshots when there is no response.

Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Let me try several things that I haven't yet. I just simply thought that coming here I might find this a common problem that's been solved. If I solve my problem in these actions I've not taken yet I will report back.

Edward27821,

It will be useful if you send fe51_appcompat.txt file to support@iobit.com, for the attention of Cicely before it is deleted from the temp directory, explaining the details of the problem. Please give them a link to this thread.

IObit will investigate and look for a solution to the problem.

Please take a note that that China is in holidays until 10th of Feb.

Cheers.

file unavailable

Hey Enos

I attempted to attach the file to my comment, but could not find the directory. Still cannot locate the file. Used "search companion".

I used the IObit uninstaller to completely remove all traces of SD. Then re-downloaded the installation file. Working fine again.

Sorry for my uncomplete information.

It can happen again, so it is important for IObit to find out the reason of the glitch. The name of the file resembles application compatibility, so probably, it is all about the reason of the compatibility issue of SD3 with Win XP.

Probably those files and folders are hidden, please go to the files/folders options and untick the option of "Hide system files/folders" or similar, after you are done, you can tick it again to hide those files and folders.

Cheers.

Try better next time.

OK, Enos,

I'll make a more serious attempt to locate the file and sent it should the issue reoccur.

I feel like I did something to cause the glitch. But it seems to usually work on XP with no major problem.

It does seem slow and takes a lot of CPU. However, setting it to an idle priority allows me to do other things while running (running now) this excellent process.

http://forums.iobit.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13522&stc=1&d=1391109990

Archived