IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

SD 3.0.3.289 now unable to fully auto-defrag

ektorbarajas

From several days SD was working fine, when it detected a fragmentation over 1% it triggered the auto-defrag and the fragments were lowered between 0.1 and 0.3.

But now since several days ago, the auto-defrag routine is unable to lower the fragments from 3.89%. I even tried to just reboot my computer, login and left my computer unattended and still the same issue of auto-defrag not lowering from 3.89%

The first screenshot is from the report tab and the second from the drive map.

What is going on? why autodefrag got broken of a sudden?

Hi enoskype, yes I'm aware of that, but SD Autodefrag was able to defrag my drive with that amount of free space.

Also I think this brings an important point to note: What is the free space needed for SD to work fine? to my understanding it must be between 1-5%, if SD requires 10% or more then this must be fixed.

Regards

Hi ektorbarajas

The amount of free space you have is just about 14,5%

The recommended free space available is at least 15% normally.

My suggestion is that you either create some more available free space in the harddisk in question or get a larger harddisk.

Looking at it in another way I would say that the minimum free space required is at least the size of your largest file in a fragmented state, otherwise there will not be room to defrag your largest file, I think.

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi enoskype, yes I'm aware of that, but SD Autodefrag was able to defrag my drive with that amount of free space.

Also I think this brings an important point to note: What is the free space needed for SD to work fine? to my understanding it must be between 1-5%, if SD requires 10% or more then this must be fixed.

Regards

Regards

I am confused as to what youare trying to achieve. You appear to be treating defragging the same as you treat junk files. Defragging is something you do when you notice a definite reduction in system performance, which on a normal system should be maybe twice a month. Defragging at 1% will absolutely not show any improvement in system performance. If SD cannot defrag then it is telling you that there is not enough logical sectors available for it to perform its function.

As Soljberg said...you need to make more space available on your disc in order to allow SD to perform.

Hi.

Today I noticed that SD auto-defragmented my C drive.

I don't removed any file, but it's strange that for some days the autodefrag was not able to reduce the fragmentation below 3.89 and today it lowered to 0.17

solbjerg comments that the recommended free space is 15%, I think it would be better is SD is able to handle a HDD with 5% or less free space, several commercial defragmenters work "fine" with even 1% of free space, just my 50cents

Hi ektorbarajas

The level of your free space (14,5%) was quite close to the recommended 15%

Looking at your picture the free space occupies around 4,5% of the picture, the rest of the free space must be in fragments inside the rest of the small squares.

A large video game is around 15 GB some are even double the size.

If you want to defragment a large video game say 10 GB you will not be able to do it with only 8.8 GB of free space and if you do it anyway you will end up with that file in many fragments. It may say that it is defragged, but the report will show that it still has many fragments.

I would like to know which defragmenters you are talking about that can defrag with only 5% free space or with even only 1% free space.

Sounds to me like "sales talk"

I think that the psychical nature of the disc requries at least as much contiguous free space as is occupied by the largest file to do a proper defragmentation..

So the best advice is still to create some more free space on your drive or to buy a larger harddisk :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

Archived