IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

"No defrag needed" policy

BugDigger

I did not say that your file is a critical file...I said it may have an association with one or more critical files. A single dll file can be associated with dozens of files/applications and some of those may be critical.

Umm... I know about immovable and locked (opened at moment) files. AFIK there is no category "file assosiated with critical file" in file system(s).

Anyway, files in my examples are not "special" and not opened (have no active handles).

I recommend that you google .DLL files as my explanation(s) do not apear to be able to explain to you how they work. Once you understand their function, you will understand what I have been trying to explain.

There is "no need" to google when source of information is well known:

Dynamic-Link Libraries

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682589(v=vs.85).aspx

Dynamic-Link Library Reference

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms684175(v=vs.85).aspx

I studied it carefully more than 15 years ago. There is no sugnificant difference in this docs (some sequrity things and dll path search details were improved/changed but main part of information still the same - it is not surprising).

What EXACT paragraph I do not know (as you state)?

I decided to compare SD3 and open source Ultradefrag (http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/ru/index.html).

AFAIUI Ultradefrag (UD) uses quite dumb strategy: it condenses file at the end of drive to free continuous space at the begin and then copies files back. This strategy does not work if free space is limited (but the same we can say about SD3 too). UD also creates more useful reports.

As we can see UD and SD3 shows similar reports before defragmentation (note: this drive was defragmented many times with SD3). The main differences are:

- SD3 additionally shows some highly fragmented files in SysVolInfo

- fragmentation rate is different: UD shows ~36%, SD3 shows only ~11%

- UD shows status "locked" only for 2 objects.

After defragmentation with UD (~30 min) we can see only a few fragmented files. Conclusion:

- nearly all files were "defragmentable" (no need discussions on this theme anymore);

- UD "brute force" defragmentation strategy is good if I have free space on drive and some spare time.

Now I plan to use SD in "maintenance" mode to see if it will keep my disk in good state.

Thank you for attention.

Archived