IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Demand A Complete List Of The Changes Made By Iobit Toolbar!

DEMAND A COMPLETE LIST OF THE CHANGES MADE BY IOBIT TOOLBAR!

To Whom It May Concern:

I worked with Vincent on 2014-02-14 on this issue. He could not provide a list of the changes made. Further, until I demonstrated them, he did not know of the following problems with the software.

I clearly demonstrated that during install/uninstall the IOBits Toolbar (even if/when installed & uninstalled correctly) fails to do the following correctly and instead leaves the changes it made during install:

During install deletes custom manual added Firefox search engines (2 examples follow on uninstall steps)

During uninstall fails to Restore prior Firefox homepage setting

During uninstall fails to Restore prior IE homepage setting

During uninstall fails to Remove the Yahoo search engine it added to Firefox

During uninstall fails to Remove the Yahoo search engine it added to IE

During uninstall fails to Restore the prior Firefox search engine setting

During uninstall fails to Restore the prior IE search engine setting

During uninstall fails to Restore the custom Firefox search engines that were added which it removed (2 example search engines were Store and Market from Steam (http://store.steampowered.com, http://steamcommunity.com/market/) that had been deleted during install.

Even after having worked with Vincent and being assured that was all the changes made, the following additional Firefox changes were discovered:

During install, enables keyword from address bar searches even if that option has been disabled.

During uninstall, does not remove Yahoo as the keyword search provider, and leaves keyword searches enabled.

AT THIS POINT I DEMAND A COMPLETE LIST OF THE CHANGES MADE BY THIS SOFTWARE! So far your company has failed to meet the requirements of the TRUSTe marker you display on your website in multiple ways. First and foremost is the inability to know what changes your software makes. Second is the destruction of personal data and settings. Third is the disrespect to the end user by not restoring settings on uninstall.

Cordially and disappointed,

Joe

:!: :?: :cry: :evil: :-( :sad:

Worse, instead of getting proper information as replies to my support requests I've gotten bad information such as the following from Cicely:

Hi there,

This is Cicely from IObit.

Please use IObit Uninstaller to remove IObit Apps Toolbar and Click Savings.

Then use spigot to search in IObit Uninstaller and then remove found applications.

And this similar response from Sally:

Dear Customer,

Sorry for all the inconvenience. This is Sally from IObit Support Team.

Please follow the steps below to solve the issue.

1. Please exit all running browsers. Then open Advanced SystemCare and go to Toolbox. Then click IObit Uninstaller to use this tool to uninstall IObit Apps Toolbar and Slick Savings and click Powerful Scan to clean any leftover. And then imputing the word "spigot" into the search box of IObit Uninstaller to do a search, and uninst all the programs in the search result list.

2. Open Advanced SystemCare -> Click "More Settings" icon on the top right corner of the main screen and select "Settings" -> Click "Homepage Protection" on the bottom left -> Click "Settings" on the right to open Homepage Protection setting window -> Turn off all the browser homepage protection -> Click "Apply" and "OK".

3. Refer to the links below to change the homepage and search engine to the one you prefer:

http://www.myquickhomepage.com/how-to-change-homepage/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/249158/how_to_change_your_browsers_default_search_engine.html

4. Please open Advanced SystemCare, and then open Homepage Protection setting window again. Then turn on all the browser homepage protection to protect the homepage and search engine from malicious modification. Then Click "Apply" and "OK".

Note: When installing IObit products, you can click “Decline” button if you don’t want to install IObit Toolbar.

If any further question, please feel free to contact us.

To which I must and have replied:

TThis did not solve my problem for multiple reasons.

1). I do not have IOBits Uninstaller installed.

2). The damage has already been done by installing and then uninstalling the IOBits Toolbar.

3). This does not provide the information on the changes the IOBits Toolbar made.

4). This does not correct the failings listed below during the install/uninstall of the IOBits Toolbar.

5). This fails to address all of the issues which are direct failures to meet the requirements of the TRUSTe certification and labels displayed on your site because the IOBits Toolbar install and uninstall still makes these changes, destroys user data, and does not restore the changes it makes, as well as still failing to provide accurate information about the install/uninstall process and changes made.

AT THIS POINT I AGAIN DEMAND A COMPLETE LIST OF THE CHANGES MADE BY THIS SOFTWARE! So far your company has failed to meet the requirements of the TRUSTe marker you display on your website in multiple ways. First and foremost is the inability to know what changes your software makes. Second is the destruction of personal data and settings. Third is the disrespect to the end user by not restoring settings on uninstall.

Pathetic that they deleted the other legitimate thread asking if their Malware software protects against this malware, and in their Malware forum for any users that might have a list of the changes this malware makes.

This software meets the malware classification due to the damage to user settings, the deletion of user data, the failure to restore settings on uninstall and instead leave and continue tracking users through the custom URLs and changes they made that they sneakily leave behind on uninstall (which meets IOBit's own Malware classification requirements).

At this point it is looking more and more like these Malware type actions are indeed purposeful by their lack of willingness to provide details and answers to the list of changes their software makes.

So I received yet another reply, this time from an employee that didn't even bother to identify themselves:

Hi there,

Please download IObit Uninstaller from http://www.iobit.com/advanceduninstaller.php

Find IObit Apps Toolbar and Click Savings and then remove them.

Then use spigot to search in IObit Uninstaller and remove found applications.

If you have Advanced SystemCare installed, please turn off Homepage Protection in Quick Settings -> reset your browser to what you want -> turn on Homepage Protection again. If you do not have Advanced SystemCare installed, you can reset your browser directly.

As such I've been forced to direct reply again (with the contents of the prior emails quoted below this new reply):

Email sent to the following list of IObit/Spigot addresses:

To: IObit Support Team

CC: support@spigot.com, partner@iobit.com,

press@iobit.com

To Whom It May Concern:

Are you not reading what I am typing?

Please explain how installing another piece of your software is going to restore the settings DELETED AND REMOVED during install by your IOBit Toolbar?

I have already run the install and uninstall for the IOBit Toolbar!

This did not solve my problem for multiple reasons.

1). I do not have IOBits Uninstaller installed. I refuse to install any further software from your company!

2). The damage has already been done by installing and then uninstalling the IOBits Toolbar.

3). This does not provide the information on the changes the IOBits Toolbar made.

4). This does not correct the failings listed below during the install/uninstall of the IOBits Toolbar.

5). This fails to address all of the issues which are direct failures to meet the requirements of the TRUSTe certification and labels displayed on your site because the IOBits Toolbar install and uninstall still makes these changes, destroys user data, and does not restore the changes it makes, as well as still failing to provide accurate information about the install/uninstall process and changes made.

I worked with Vincent on 2014-02-14 on this issue. He could not provide a list of the changes made. Further, until I demonstrated them, he did not know of the following problems with the software.

I clearly demonstrated that during install/uninstall the IOBits Toolbar (even if/when installed & uninstalled correctly) fails to do the following correctly and instead leaves the changes it made during install:

During install deletes custom manual added Firefox search engines (2 examples follow on uninstall steps)

During uninstall fails to Restore the custom Firefox search engines that were added which it removed (2 example search engines were Store and Market from Steam (
) that had been deleted during install.

Even after having worked with Vincent and being assured that was all the changes made, the following additional Firefox changes were discovered:

During install, enables keyword from address bar searches even if that option has been disabled.

During uninstall, does not remove Yahoo as the keyword search provider, and leaves keyword searches enabled.

AT THIS POINT I AGAIN (3rd time) DEMAND A COMPLETE LIST OF THE CHANGES MADE BY THIS SOFTWARE! So far your company has failed to meet the requirements of the TRUSTe marker you display on your website in multiple ways. First and foremost is the inability to know what changes your software makes. Second is the destruction of personal data and settings. Third is the disrespect to the end user by not restoring settings on uninstall.

:evil::-x:-(:sad::cry::evil::-x:-x:-x

Another reply that fails to provide any of the requested information

Another reply that fails to provide any of the requested information:

Hello Joseph,

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience we may have caused you.

We would like to stress that additional offers are completely optional. You can decline them during the installation of the main application and most importantly the use of the main program is not conditioned in any way by our products.

In order to change the home page and default search engine for IE and FF please follow the steps below:

1. For Internet Explorer : http://www.spigot.com/change-default-search-and-home-page.html#ie11

2. For Mozilla Firefox : http://www.spigot.com/change-default-search-and-home-page.html#ff

If the above instructions do not work, please try the following: check if you have installed on your PC the application called "Advanced SystemCare" by Iobit. They have a new feature named "home page and search protection" which is causing the inability of a user to change his default search and homepage. If you have it installed, go to the product, find the "toolbox" menu, disable the "homepage protection" and the default search protection, change the homepage and the search engine to what you want and then re-enable the protection again if you want.

Under our terms and conditions, our software does not come with any warranties, and in fact we disclaim warranties, as stated in our terms and conditions. We encourage you to review the Terms you accepted again. The overwhelming majority of our users are satisfied with our products and services. We are sorry that your experiences have been unsatisfactory.

In case you require further assistance please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,

Spigot Support

Stuff our lawyers like us to say: All defenses, rights, remedies, claims, etc., reserved without prejudice or waiver. No waivers or admissions, etc. made, including by silence or only partial response. No promises made or implied. Emails and telephone discussions do not make or modify contracts and are not digital or electronic signatures or writings.

As such I've been forced to once again reply asking for the same information, with the ever growing email thread as part of the replies and this as the text of my latest reply:

Email list:

To: Spigot Support,

IObit Support Team,

partner@iobit.com, press@iobit.com, feedback@iobit.com

To Whom It May Concern:

Yet another reply from the people involved with this product that will get added to forum postings and the TRUSTe complaint due to completely and totally failing to provide the requested information.

Are the people involved with this product purposefully ignoring the request details? It is beginning to appear as though it is with malicious intent a choice to not to document the changes made!

I can, at will, demonstrate the described issues with your software, as I have already done with Vincent from IObit.

The continued lack of a response with a detailed list of the changes made by your software combined with the deletion and destruction of user data, and the purposeful and sneaky failure to restore various browser settings and instead leaving tracking URLs to further collect personal information after uninstall classifies (by IOBit's own Malware definitions) the IOBit Toolbar as MALWARE!

AT THIS POINT I AGAIN (4th time) DEMAND A COMPLETE LIST OF THE CHANGES MADE BY THIS SOFTWARE!

I have already run the install and uninstall for the IOBit Toolbar!

This did not solve my problem for multiple reasons.

1). I do not have IOBits Uninstaller or IOBit Advanced SystemCare installed. I refuse to install any further software from your company!

During install deletes custom manually added Firefox search engines via several file creations and edits (2 examples follow on uninstall steps)

During uninstall fails to Restore the custom Firefox search engines that were added which it removed (2 example search engines were Store and Market from Steam (
) that had been deleted during install.

AT THIS POINT I AGAIN (4th time) DEMAND A COMPLETE LIST OF THE CHANGES MADE BY THIS SOFTWARE! So far your company has failed to meet the requirements of the TRUSTe marker you display on your website in multiple ways. First and foremost is the inability to know what changes your software makes. Second is the destruction of personal data and settings. Third is the disrespect to the end user by not restoring settings on uninstall.

Joseph

:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x

It would appear Spigot has foisted all responsibility to IOBit.

They did a reply to all of those addresses with the following:

Dear Spigot Partner,

Please help the customer to solve his compalints regarding Spigot program.

Still nothing new from IOBit.

Hi there,

Our partner Spigot Support has explained the situation in the email already. Here we'd like to post it here again:

"It is untrue that the toolbar is malware. Further, the toolbar, and its various components do not result in the deletion or destruction of user data, and there is no purposeful or sneaky failure to restore various browser settings or leave tracking URLs or further collect personal information after the uninstallation. At the time of installation, the user is offered several individual offers, each of which is installed and uninstalled separately. Some users prefer to uninstall the toolbar, but retain the shopping extensions, or prefer to keep the toolbar, but would rather not use Yahoo search, etc...

Below is a list of components that come installed with the IObit offer(all of which are disclosed in the screen that accompanies the installer):

1. Internet Explorer extension: Slick Savings (You can easily uninstall the Slick Savings IE extension from Control Panel, find Slick Savings entry and click Uninstall)

2. Firefox extensions: Slick Savings, Start Page (You can easily uninstall the FF extensions from your Firefox Chrome browser by selecting: Firefox > Preferences > General (tab) > Manage Add-ons > find the extension >Remove)

3. Google Chrome extensions: Slick Savings, Ebay Shopping Assistant, Amazon Shopping Assistant, Domain Error Assistant (You can easily uninstall the GC extensions from your Google Chrome browser by selecting Settings > Extensions (or by selecting Chrome > Preferences > Extensions); find the extension, click Uninstall or Remove from Chrome or the trash can icon)

4. Iobit Apps toolbar in Internet Explorer and Firefox (to uninstall the toolbar, go to Control Panel, find Iobit Apps Toolbar entry and uninstall it)

5. Set default search engine in Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox (if you want to change the search engine to something else, there are detailed instructions here: http://www.spigot.com/change-default-search-and-home-page.html )

6. Set homepage and startup page (new tab) in Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Firefox (if you want to change the search engine to something else, there are detailed instructions here: http://www.spigot.com/change-default-search-and-home-page.html ) "

Archived