IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Malware Fighter v2.3 free latest update from Cnet

Karrstar

Dear IObit

Whilst downloading the new version of IObit Malware from Cnet.com I came across a rather invidious piece of practice from either Cnet or a third party, hopefully not yourselves. On starting the program it tried to install Spigot and other web related programs, as a norm. The only way around this was the logo: “for advanced users” This allowed the unticking of those invasive software programs. Though that was disguised as above re advanced users, suggesting that everyone else just accept the download!

Even then spigot still tried to download a program to my computer. Fortunately for me Malewarebytes prevented the download as it was seen as a Trojan.

Having purchased items from you in the past I was taken aback that they may appear to have been a misuse of users re their knowledge or lack of and goodwill by trying to install what is considered bad software.

A recent article on spigot: “Spigot is a legitimate company, which offers for other companies to design their own toolbars in order to increase their customers' loyalty. However, many people on the Internet have reported about redirections after installing Spigot toolbar on their computers. While most of the pages, people are redirected to, are legitimate, such activity can be quite annoying. Besides, some of the users haven't even installed it by themselves and claim that it has just come in with some other programs. It becomes obvious that Spigot creators not only try to promote their toolbars, but they also seek to earn some money by making people visit specific domains against after changing search providers on computers.

I also discovered this re spigot: “Spigot is a backdoor trojan that allows unauthorized access to the creator of this threat to an infected computer. Usually,, backdoor uses port 6667. The existence of the file gspotbot.exe is an indication of a possible infection. Spigot copies its file(s) to your hard disk. Its typical file name is TorontoMail.exe . Then it creates new startup key with name Spigot and value TorontoMail.exe . You can also find it in your processes list with name TorontoMail.exe or Spigot.”

It should not be the norm to have that foisted upon unsuspecting users, rather it should be an open and transparent option. It is currently not.

These types of actions by companies only make me steer clear of purchasing any program from them as they appear to be trying to subject their users to outside influences that appear on the surface damaging to either the PC or users privacy or indeed both.

Hopefully you can prevent these types of actions in the future?

Regards

K

Hi Karrstar,

Thanks for your feedbacks.

For the situation you mentioned, I will clarify some facts here.

First, you may have some misunderstandings for spigot. It is not Trojan or malware as you mentioned. Here is the Quote from spigot:

"It is untrue that the toolbar is malware. Further, the toolbar, and its various components do not result in the deletion or destruction of user data, and there is no purposeful or sneaky failure to restore various browser settings or leave tracking URLs or further collect personal information after the uninstallation. At the time of installation, the user is offered several individual offers, each of which is installed and uninstalled separately. Some users prefer to uninstall the toolbar, but retain the shopping extensions, or prefer to keep the toolbar, but would rather not use Yahoo search, etc...

Second, we always supply options for our user to decide whether to install the recommended programs. As you mentioned you can choose "Custom install" and untick the programs that you do not want to install.

Certainly, the design is not so perfect and may bring confusions for our users. Thus, we will make improvements asap. Thanks for your your suggestion. ;-)

• 1 month later...

Hi

I notice that you still do this:

We always supply options for our user to decide whether to install the recommended programs. As you mentioned you can choose "Custom install" and untick the programs that you do not want to install.

However you know that, that says re installation; this is for "advanced users" only, a misappropriate bit of information. Unsuspecting "non-advance users" will through no choice of there own have all that spigot stuff installed.

Has there been any view taken on this aspect of what I consider inappropriate installation of third party programs. It should be the norm that it only installs the original program and you can then choose if you want the other stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

No Bloody Way!!!

Cicely,

Please do NOT fall into "Spigot's LIES" AND IObit really needs to re-think ANYthing but what the customer wants for just a few quid for promoting THEM!

You and IObit are on our side remember??!

You will be surprised at how much this GOOD WILL will bring to you in terms of LOYALTY,SATISFACTION and last but not least INCREASED REVENUE.Customer relations is a fine art that many fail to grasp and perhaps never will. :?

I am 61years young with a LOT of water under my bridge. :mrgreen:

-Cowboy

Hi Karrstar and dv8cowboy,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I will report the situation you mentioned to our product team again. Hope we can find a better way that can convenient both IObit and our users. :wink:

Solution!

Cicely,

The most EASY way would be to opt in to any extra programs and definitely NOT OPT OUT as it is now. You would save a lot of headaches by doing that very simple change....Then the customer would have to THINK and ACT on any extra software or options! :grin:

-Cowboy

Hi Karrstar and dv8cowboy,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I will report the situation you mentioned to our product team again. Hope we can find a better way that can convenient both IObit and our users. :wink:

• 1 month later...

Archived