IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Suggestions for Smart Defrag v4

Cicely

Hi Cloudy82,

Thanks for your suggestion. It sounds good, for more and more users are using SSD now. I will report it to our product team for consideration.:wink:

Welcome more feedbacks and suggstions. Cheers.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi paulthegreek2002,

Thanks for your question.

We have started to develop Smart Defrag v4. But it might not be released so soon, for our programmers are very busy with Advanced SystemCared v8 these days. Just be patient. And do not forget to post your good ideas for Smart Defrag v4 here. :-)

First, as an aside, let me state that your registration process is onerous. Your company invites feed back (which is good) but your website requires registration (understandable) but then requires a human moderator to "activate" the account before the new registrant can post anything. I'm all for reducing spam/bots, but until I get that manual "activate" I can't put my ideas anywhere. By the time the moderator gets to activating the account, most 1st-time visitors will forget why they came in the first place. As a suggestion, allow the user to create/write/post, but moderate the POSTS until they are activated. That would allow the first-time visitor with a problem to post their question, and if they were good citizens and didn't do anything wrong, their post will be approved and seen by the appropriate audience. (sorry, that's not why I came here in the first place, but it did make me jump through hoops to post my REAL suggestion. It was over six (!) hours between clicking though my email confirmation and getting moderator approved.

OK, as for SD4 suggestions:

1) Sometimes, users just want what they want, not necessarily what is good for them. Give users the option to do things like:

- place files over <dropdown with various sizes> at the end of the disk. The thinking here is that large files for media servers won't change sizes, while smaller logfiles (etc) will, thereby keeping the fragments together at the beginning of the disk (and various other reasons)

- Allow the user to override the "no defrag needed" message that is given for LARGE files (usually over 20GB). I regularly get these messages, even when there are over 300 fragments. Not always "required" in a performance sense, but let me defragment it anyway! And no, the manual defragment doesn't work either. And if it matters, there is currently over 18% free space, over 5x the size of the files in question. This may be a bug in the "skip files larger than ..." option, but I don't think so. I have tested, and using that option results in "skipped" message. This is different.

2) User Interface Improvements

- Tooltip definitions of the various "Defragment" options when you hover over them. It seems so retro to have to click Help and search the online manual manually to figure things out. Furthermore, if the questions of "what is the difference between Defrag Only and Defrag and Fully Optimize" is being asked in the forums, it may not be clear enough in the documentation...

- In your Settings pages, have a "HELP" button that takes you to the IOBit webpage that supports that exact screen. It is frustrating when you are unsure what a checkbox does, to have to try searching the online manual when a context-sensitive help button would be beneficial.

- In the main SD tab, you have a block representation of the drive, and a legend at the bottom of all the colours. Hovering over individual blocks in the drive representation seems to do nothing, but you have to hover over the legend icons to see the meaning of block colours. I suggest either expanding the colour legend at the bottom with the appropriate language meanings beside, or adding the block's meaning to the tooltip when you hover over the drive map blocks. As it stands, it feels odd as a user to see a colour in the drive map, have to find the matching colour in the legend, hover, read, find a different colour in the map, then the legend, hover, read, etc.

- In your Automatic Defrag tab, in the bottom-third of the screen labelled "Automatic defragmented files statistics", there are a number of vertical bars above dates. Above these bars is a number. There is no indication what that number represents, nor any indication of whether a larger number is better or worse, or what can be done about it. The numbers do not seem to match the "reports" that show the number of files defragmented.

- Add F1 support to bring you to the relevant support page for the context the user was in when they pressed F1.

3) Consolidate Free Space

- Sometimes users need a large block of contiguous free space, and need it "now". Give an option to just shove everything forwards/backwards to create the largest free space block possible, without necessarily defragmenting. Give the option to defragment as well, if you must. This is useful when users are creating/moving/resizing large static files like pagefiles, which benefit from being contiguous.

4) Reports

- If you go to the Reports page, and click "View Reports" in the bottom-right, it brings you to a directory containing recent reports in HTML format. They are organized by date/time, but legibility would be increased if there were dashes (or other) separators between the yyyy-mm-dd hh-mm-ss.

Well, that's enough for now :)

--

Dekker

• Like 1

Hi rourkem,

Thanks for your suggestions. Well, perhaps some users may not want to receive too many Emails. Anyway, we will take it into consideration.

Guys, what's your opinion?

Personally I don't need/want the email, but I can see why it would be useful to some people. As with most things, make it an option or flag, with the default to off/no. Let the user decide!

Hi Dekker,

Sincerely thanks for precious suggestions.

For the register issue in our forum, I have reported to our manager and we have changed the related settings. Now you can post after you register successfully without our manually activate.

For your other detailed suggestions for SD, they are really good. I will report all of them to our product team for consideration.

But for the situation " I regularly get these messages, even when there are over 300 fragments. Not always "required" in a performance sense, but let me defragment it anyway! And no, the manual defragment doesn't work either", what do you mean by " the manual defragment doesn't work either"? Please describe the situation more clearly with related screenshots.

Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/gen...screenshot.htm

Looking forward to hearing from you.

First, as an aside, let me state that your registration process is onerous. Your company invites feed back (which is good) but your website requires registration (understandable) but then requires a human moderator to "activate" the account before the new registrant can post anything. I'm all for reducing spam/bots, but until I get that manual "activate" I can't put my ideas anywhere. By the time the moderator gets to activating the account, most 1st-time visitors will forget why they came in the first place. As a suggestion, allow the user to create/write/post, but moderate the POSTS until they are activated. That would allow the first-time visitor with a problem to post their question, and if they were good citizens and didn't do anything wrong, their post will be approved and seen by the appropriate audience. (sorry, that's not why I came here in the first place, but it did make me jump through hoops to post my REAL suggestion. It was over six (!) hours between clicking though my email confirmation and getting moderator approved.

For the register issue in our forum, I have reported to our manager and we have changed the related settings. Now you can post after you register successfully without our manually activate.

Hi Cicely,

I have noticed the change in Admin CP, IMHO, it should have been better if this is discussed in Private section!

Cheers.

This is what I mean by attempting to manually defragment a "No defrag needed" file. Perhaps a better description would have been to "defragment the specific file" instead of the entire drive.

http://postimg.org/image/ywz95h5hr/

Then if I double-click the file (which opens it in Windows Explorer), then right-click the file and select "Defrag by Smart Defrag", it loads it up in Smart Defrag as an individual file, and starts to defragment it. This takes a while (naturally) and it eventually returns to the Report page with the following result displayed:

http://postimg.org/image/s04295uv7/

http://postimg.org/image/ric81i6gp/

http://postimg.org/image/jwhcyusld/

These files are relatively static containers. They are of FIXED size once allocated, however the contents may be read and/or modified over time. The only event that will change its size is a "delete", in which case the fragmentation is no longer a concern. My other suggestion regarding pushing large files to the end of the drive was for these types of data files, since once defragmented, they will never become fragmented on their own. But being so large, if I don't clear a block of contiguous space first (another of my suggestions), these large data files are forced into hundreds of fragments.

Anyway, those are the improvements I'd like to see to make it more usable for "me" anyway!

Dekker

• Like 1

Hi Cicely,

I have noticed the change in Admin CP, IMHO, it should have been better if this is discussed in Private section!

Cheers.

I agree with Enoskype. It has always been my understanding that the Iobit Forum is managed/controlled/overseen by the User Administrators such as Enoskype and that it is a voluntary site with support input from Iobit.

Has this situation now changed to where Iobit Administer and Control the forum and the function/opinion of the User Administrators/Moderators/Mediators are no longer relevant ???.

EDIT: I have copied this post to Private as a Topic.

As I suggested in the general discussion topic I will also here - it would be appreciated if SmartDefrag had a sort of intelligent write driver to write a file in one piece if possible and with that save disk I/O operations and by that prolong disk's life span, i.e. prevent fragmentation in the first place.

That would be simply the best addition (and sensible progression) to already the only good automatic free defragmenter.

As I suggested in the general discussion topic I will also here - it would be appreciated if SmartDefrag had a sort of intelligent write driver to write a file in one piece if possible and with that save disk I/O operations and by that prolong disk's life span, i.e. prevent fragmentation in the first place.

That would be simply the best addition (and sensible progression) to already the only good automatic free defragmenter.

Please read the many discussions in the forum regarding the workings and methodologies of defragmenting. It is easy to make suggestions for what you would like to happen, it is another matter

when you actually understand what defragmenting does and how it works.

• 4 weeks later...

Yet another suggestion.

When viewing the "State" tab, with all the blocks representing areas of the drive, if the user re-sizes the display, these blocks should re-flow to intelligently fill the space. Currently, if you increase the dimensions, new blocks are added to the bottom, however it is misleading in that it would appear to indicate you have free/unused space at the end of your drive. Instead, either do not create new "blocks" when the window is enlarged, or intelligently re-map to fill the spaces available.

Dekker

• Like 1

Yes, another suggestion.

It'd be nice if somewhere (perhaps beside the map/legend) you indicated "one block represents approx 1 MB" or something to that effect, adjusted to the actual size based on the user's view.

As an aside, disk defragmentation is something that, when working correctly, users don't think much about. Giving the users a pleasant, or dare I say "fun", experience will keep users coming back to the app (and possibly seeing your ads for the other products). As long as the "job" is getting done, feedback and user experience are all that is left to differentiate your product from others. All that to explain why my suggestions are mostly based on the user experience.

• Like 1

In the report view, when you click the Size column heading, it dutifully sorts it by size, but it does not handle large numbers correctly! Files over about 575MB occasionally appear at the bottom of the list (smaller than 4k) or in random order above 575MB (or occasionally inserted into a lower order, such as 32GB appearing between 23.8MB and 85.4 MB).

Dekker

• Like 1

Yeah here is one how about making it stop using the internet every time it loads.

If you watch in resource monitor on windows 7 you will see when it is loaded smart defrag uses the net.I think mainly for this reason is because it likes to check for updates automatically.Well i don't want the smart defrag or iobit uninstaller using my net unless i want it too.There is no option to turn off check for updates i have been saying this since day one.Some of us have data caps and can not waste are data on these annoying little issues.

Hi Xcom46,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will report it to our product team for consideration.

For the situation " If you watch in resource monitor on windows 7 you will see when it is loaded smart defrag uses the net.", could you please send us the related screenshots to show it?

Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/gen...screenshot.htm

Looking forward to hearing from you.