IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

clone files

garybear

HI, I'm a brand new user. I hope i'm doing this right, if not please tell me. I want to know more about cloned files. I t seems I have a ton of them, but i'm afriad to mess with them.It seems to me that you have to delete them one at a time, and that scares me. i have opened some of them ,and they seem useless, but they still scare me. Thank you [garybear]

hi garybear

Clone files are files that have approximately the same name and size, but they are not neccesarily located the same place.

So consequently you have to be very, very careful removing any of them, - actually if if you do not know precisely what you are doing and precisely know the function of the file you want to remove - you shouldn't do it.

Most ordinary users should leave the function alone - I think.

Cheers

solbjerg

when I go to disk exployer, analze. at the top it shows clone files. when I open that , there are tons of cloned files. i guess they are duplictes. they are in the tune up section. i hope this explains . thank you so much for your reply

clones

Hi garybear-I couldn't agree more with Solbjerg-stay away from those!-close the window, and forget you ever saw them! From an old fairy tale..."all the King's horses, and all the King's men......" ahh..you might be a little young for that one, so if you play around in there and break stuff,you're probably beyond the help of this forum-but if curiosity has the better of you,then take a look here- this is not a recommendation for use,just some insight as to what you're looking at

clones

I wrote two real nice thank yous, but they didn't post. Will try one more time. I know who the kings men are detailer. I'm 70 year old colon cancer surviver. I wanted to thank everyone for being so kind to this old man. When I see duplicates and garbage files , I get curious, but i'm taking the pros advice ,and leaving them alone. I got my pc 4 years ago while doing chemo. I'v got in troble before , so i will take everyones advice and say a great big thank you to everyone. I have AVG, CCLEANER,REGSEEKER , AND OF COURSE, ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE. DO I NEED MORE? [garybear]

honestly avg is such a resource hog now and even if your computer has gaming-like specs, its scanning capability is very low compared to avira. avira so far still has the best detection rate(i think) and also has heuristics. heuristics is the ability for a antivirus software to recognize malware thats not in its definition files. and it has free low-resource protection. avg not only is more of a resource hog, it doesnt offer free real time protection. if you have the paid version... eh i still recommend avira but up to you. with regseeker your good. regseeker is crazy good actually. eusing registry cleaner can cleanup a few hundred after your regseeker but a few hundred doesnt impact performance. also i suggest you get spyware protection. people underestimate it now and asc3 only scans the registry for spyware.

• 1 month later...

Cloned & Rubbish files deletion

I'm with garyBear. After running Advanced SystemCare V3, I was inundated with Cloned files. Why offer the opportunity to view these files if they are to be left alone. Also, there should be an easier way of deleting, rather than one at a time. (Maybe that feature is offered with the paid version). Although you can hold the 'Ctrl' key while clicking each line individually and then right clicking on one of the blue highlighted lines and delete all at once. Still a rather time consuming option. Why not offer a 'delete all' feature.

Are all these files truly clones, meaning they are exact duplicates of files existing somewhere else on the computer? If so, what might be the purpose for having a duplicate? And if the name of the game is to delete unwanted and unnecessary files in order to increase disk space, further enabling optimum speed/performance, then why allow these to remain?

I took the advice of another blogger and downloaded Moleskinsoft Clone Remover Free 1.9 and it found most, if not all of the same cloned files Advanced SystemCare V3 found. Now I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

On a related note. What about the Rubbish Files found a few tabs over from the Cloned Files? Are they to be deleted with no consequence?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi fdorsi

Cloned files option is a tool to help you find possible unnecessary copies on your disk, at least that is how I use it.

Let's say I download a picture from my camera (to find an example where I might save some space)

I move the picture into another folder, and once in a while I attach/embed it to/in a document.

The picture can now be in several locations on the computer - but do I really need that? If I think that it is sufficient that it be kept in My Pictures, I can delete all other instances and save some space.

Most rubbish files are just that rubbish, but if some aren't it is the most prudent course to delete them to the wastebasket (this goes for clone files too), but then you have to configure the wastebasket to be NOT cleaned in cleaning operations, in order to allow you to put some back if you experience any ill effects from deleting some of them.

Options to be used intelligently and prudently is my conclusion.

Cheers

solbjerg

I'm with garyBear. After running Advanced SystemCare V3, I was inundated with Cloned files. Why offer the opportunity to view these files if they are to be left alone. Also, there should be an easier way of deleting, rather than one at a time. (Maybe that feature is offered with the paid version). Although you can hold the 'Ctrl' key while clicking each line individually and then right clicking on one of the blue highlighted lines and delete all at once. Still a rather time consuming option. Why not offer a 'delete all' feature.

Are all these files truly clones, meaning they are exact duplicates of files existing somewhere else on the computer? If so, what might be the purpose for having a duplicate? And if the name of the game is to delete unwanted and unnecessary files in order to increase disk space, further enabling optimum speed/performance, then why allow these to remain?

I took the advice of another blogger and downloaded Moleskinsoft Clone Remover Free 1.9 and it found most, if not all of the same cloned files Advanced SystemCare V3 found. Now I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

On a related note. What about the Rubbish Files found a few tabs over from the Cloned Files? Are they to be deleted with no consequence?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Archived