IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Are all defrag programs basically the same

lucidchart

Hi lucidchart

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, there are differences in defrag programs. The algorithims used to determine the framentation rate is different between programs. Some programs, such as , Iobit Smartdefrag also include extra features such as optimising file location etc...which helps to speed up your pc.

With regard to your slow pc....while defragging can certainly help, it may not increase the performance to optimum. It may be worth your while to download Iobits Advanced Systemcare (free version) and allow it to clean and optimise your machine. I recommend that if you do decide to take this advice, that you only run the scan and fix for Malware removal / Registry Fix / and Junk Files Clean. You should create a system restore point before you defrag or run ASC, so that if any issues arise you will be able to undo them.

Once you become more familiar with the program you can use the other functions to further optimise your machine.

So Smart Defrag and ASC should improve you machines performance.

You can download the programs by going to the Download Iobit Products link at the top of the forum page. You can also view the instruction manuals for the products by going to the support area in the same link.

Hi lucidchart, Scannan and hirsche,

@lucidchart, welcome to our forum. And you can try the suggestions by Scannan and hirsche. If you meet any issues about our products, you can post your confusions here or send feedback online. We will help you asap.

@Scannan and hirsche, sincerely thanks for your timely, useful and warmhearted reply. :-)

I would like to know the difference between Ultimate Defrag 4 and IObit Smart Defrag 3, specifically when it comes to data placement on the hard drive. I am not a computer "expert," but I like to think I am fairly tech-savvy. In the end, I'm not looking for blazing performance (or i'd buy an SSD), but good performance and reliability.

In theory, UD4's file-placement strategy, placing most-used files on the "outer tracks" of the drive and least used files on the "inner tracks" of the drive, SEEMS to make sense, but DOES it? (Also, the fact that now there is no longer a free version kinda sucks, so I can't even test it. I think UD3 was free.)

I use SD3 because of its automatic defrag functions, both when the disc is idle and every seven days boot, but does UD4's data-placement strategy really result in better performance and data reliability?

My computer is running slow and I don't have any RAM upgrade options, Is there a difference is defrag programs? How does this differ from the one that comes on my computer by default?

I would like to mention to our new member that I have been using IObit products for years, mainly Advanced System Care and Smart DeFrag, and my laptop is far more reliable and stable than without. As a freelance writer, I need my laptop running reliably. I typically have a dozen windows open at any one time, the 150-ish processes not causing so much as a skip in performance.

I believe a lot of this has to do with the way that IObit products quietly work in the background, keeping my system optimized for smooth performance. The best part is that, even if you go for the free versions, they are very light on resources, yet effective.

Hi bnjroo,

Happy to hear that you have used our products for several years. Sincerely thanks for your long-term support.

For the confusions " I would like to know the difference between Ultimate Defrag 4 and IObit Smart Defrag 3, specifically when it comes to data placement on the hard drive.", Smart Defrag v4 has not been released but Smart Defrag4 beta 1 will be renewed in a few days. When it comes out, you can try it and see the difference.:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow guys this is a really active forum. I am used to posting a question, coming back a month later and being really disappointed by the responses. I guess I should have put in email updates in my settings but I am used to getting a ton of spam email. I am going to try out the Advanced Systemcare (free version) because it turns out that I also had malware running on there. it isn't as bad but the Kapersky (sp?) didn't get everything and I do feel like the storage space is probably fragmented to hell even though Windows 8 says its fine. I can't trust any company that takes over a gig to create an OS with such a terrible UX.I am getting sick of working in Chrome (I work for a web-based software company) and having it constantly prompting me if I want to stay on the page or do I want to "upgrade Adobe Flash" with an obvious malicious domain. Link to what we are up to and you will probably imagine QAing in the browser all day would stink on a slow and malware ridden machine....

I will keep you updated on how it works for me.

Lucidchart might soon be replacing Visio on your Mac | Cult of Mac

Archived