IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Send Your Feedback for Smart Defrag v4

Cicely

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 Internal drives (4 Partitions). I deselected C:, E: and X: (storage) to ONLY Defrag and Fast Optimize the D: partition. When I started it it analysed the C: partition WHICH WAS NOT SELECTED! This is an issue that I DID NOT see in version 3 Pro. This IS a problem!!!!!

After testing this beta, I came back to version 3 !

Why ? Because automatic defragmentation is not working, i explain, when I move the mouse over the icon in the taskbar, Smart Defrag told me last automatic defragmentation performs 02/0215 at 16:45 (for exemple) and when I open Smart Defrag, i see the number of fragmented files and the percentage before and after, i see before and 16% after 16% ... Then I click on the report file and I see all files that are still fragmented... I do a manual analysis and I see the same thing in profit -_-' SmartDefrag 4 beta just makes an analysis but do not defragment automatic! This is my conclusion... I should point out that all parameters are in default, automatic defragmentation as soon as 5% obtained and also that the idle period. Since my return on Version 3 it works like a charm...

Much better than the crashes in version 3, especially when right clicking the System Tray Icon.

One major flaw however in the settings under 'Boot Time Defrag' which caused me to uninstall the program as the options are:

```````````````````````````````

Only next boot

Everyday first boot

Every boot

Every 30 day first boot

```````````````````````````````

There is no option for 'Never on boot'

I have enough rubbish to manage that wants to run on bootup, and use Winpatrol to bring order to the chaos of booting the OS.

Bootup is slow enough without a painfully slow Defrag running first. People start their machines to get work done, not to work on the machine itself.

Working on the machine itself is secondary and part of the tedious maintenance we must all perform regularly, not the reason for having the machine.

Otherwise the software seems OK, and fairly stable. I would continue using it except for the 'Boot Time Defrag' issue.

I realize it can be set for 'Only next boot' hopefully meaning just the one time, but for me once when I have no control over the process is one time too many...

I tried the defrag with full optimization and the option to sleep after completion. The optimization went fine, as far as I can tell, but the computer did not go into sleep mode when it was done. It just stayed on. Sleep mode works fine on my machine in general.

Hi billca42 and chikudon,

Thanks for your feedback.

I have reported the issue to our product team and we will do a test.

@ chikudon

At launch, it only detects drive C, J and K and missed E and I.

For the issue, please download the tool from http://testdemo.iobit.com/SD4InfoHelper.exe

Then double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. You will get a zipped file IObit_Debug_Info.zip on your desktop. Please send it to us so that we can get the detailed information to look into.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

I have 2 Internal drives (4 Partitions). I deselected C:, E: and X: (storage) to ONLY Defrag and Fast Optimize the D: partition. When I started it it analysed the C: partition WHICH WAS NOT SELECTED! This is an issue that I DID NOT see in version 3 Pro. This IS a problem!!!!!

Hi Klatu ,Angel2A and mousewarp,

Thanks for your feedback.

@ Klatu ,for the issue "When I started it it analysed the C: partition WHICH WAS NOT SELECTED! ", can you reproduce the issue and send us the related screenshots?

Guide for taking screenshot.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

@ Angel2A, for the issue that Auto Defrag does work, please download the tool from http://testdemo.iobit.com/SD4InfoHelper.exe

Then double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. You will get a zipped file IObit_Debug_Info.zip on your desktop. Please send it to us so that we can get the detailed information to look into.

@ mousewarp, as Scannan said you can turn off it in GUI. Thanks Scannan's timely reply. :-)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Cicely, I reinstalled version 4, and in the settings> automatic defrag> defragment When fragmentation rate exeeds, i put on always defrag, since it works well Thumbs up .

I had this idea when i returned in version 3 to view the settings and they were like that !

Thanks for your reply !

[TABLE=class: infodetail]

[TR=class: items]

[TD=width: 150]Fragments[/TD]

[TD=width: 150]Size[/TD]

[TD=width: 150]Result[/TD]

[TD=align: left]Path[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]111.11MB[/TD]

[TD]Move Failed,? ?????????? ????? ?????????.[/TD]

[TD=align: left]C:\$MFT[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

what is that means?

defragment didn't complete totally

Hi Vika

Welcome to the Forum.

There are some files such as system files and files which are in use at the time of fragment which cannot be moved as this would cause the system to malfunction.

The MFT (Master File Table) is one of these files. These files can be Defragmented/moved/optimised/prioritised during Bootime Defrag because the defragment is performed before the system files are loaded and the startup programs initiated. That is the purpose of Boot Time Defrag.

Boot Time Defrag is not required very often and I recommend that you google Boot Time defrag and do some research on it. You can also look through the Defrag Forum here and get a lot of information on Defragging and Boot Time Defrag.

Hi All,

Smart Defrag v4 Beta 1 is available now. :-):-)

1. Send your Feedback

- E-mail us your suggestions or comments directly at sdfeedback@IObit.com

- Join discussion on our forums.

The top 20 most valuable beta contributors can choose any one of the products from IObit.

And their names will be printed in the SD 4 Final version.

2. Share Smart Defrag v4 with your families, friends, and colleagues

3. Download Now

Download from IObit.com

Download from MajorGreeks

4. Major Change log

1. New Defrag Engine - Less CPU usage, faster and more stable defrag.

2. Added SSD Trim - Improve the performance and durability of SSD.

3. New Game Defrag - Professional game defrag technology for better gaming experience.

4. Enhanced Defragmentation - Further improved algorithms to release more space and enhance

defragmentation.

5. Brand New UI - Simpler but easier for operation.

6. New Report - More detailed defrag report for easier-reading.

7. And more can be discovered by you

So far all is good. Speed of defrags are as fast as can be sorted. I've seen no issues with operation and "Automatic Defrag" seems smoothly integrated. Overall very nice.

New Report Center - Easier and clearer to view report details.

I'll try this version out. I hope the GUI displays will be straight forward as usual. 1.gif

fosterdrew

Please do not post feedback/suggestions/comments in the News & Offers section of the Forum.

These should be posted in the relevant Feedback/Suggestions/Discussion sections.

I'm using Smart Defrag v4 Beta 1.0 and it is working very well for me. It doesn't register my primary drive as an SSD for some reason so I have had to manually exclude it.

I have some feedback and suggestions:

1 - Resizing the main screen has an issue. To replicate, reduce the screen so that the little dots appear under the Drive boxes and then scroll right. Now maximize the Window. The display should scroll to the left again but it doesn't and the scroll option has been removed so I can't get back to them without restoring the window back to it's smaller size first.

2 - On the Details screen (after performing Analysis) I would like to be able to:

a) Click a column to sort it

b) Right-click a file for options such as "Defrag File" and "Open File Location"

Hi, I signed up specifically to be able to give feedback on Smart Defrag, as a I.T. engineer I'm well placed to give comparisons and detailed analysis feedback.

Comparison software: Diskeeper Professional 2011 (PC) & 2012 (Laptop)

Smart Defrag version: v4.0 Beta 2

Some of you may be wondering why I'm comparing Smart Defrag to such premium software like Diskeeper, the reason for that is very simple, I can't go advising clients or even friends to go spending the big pricetag of Diskeeper Professional ($65) to maintain their HDDs \ SSDs so I look for the very best free alternatives to recommend. To that end Smart Defrag ticks all the right boxes on paper but the end result needs some improvement.

To start with I analysed the 1TB Toshiba drive in my laptop with Diskeeper Pro and Smart Defrag, both applications showed roughly the same drive mapping, a good start. Defragmentation routines of Smart Defrag, while not terrible, aren't exactly much better than the default Windows defragger which is why I ditched it in the first place for Diskeeper and is why I'm always on the lookout for a excellent free alternative to recommend to clients.

I'll start with my biggest concerns and work my way down, this is what I've noticed with Smart Defrag using the "Disk Defrag" tab;

1. Smart Defrag lumps all "rarely" used data toward the end of the drive \ drive partition.

Why is this bad? It increases execution times of that software tagged as "rarely" used while also making the drive seek much further than it needs to increasing read times (opening \ launching of these programs \ files etc) and physical ware on the drive as the needle has to go skitting all the way across the disk platter to access the data, increasing the likelyhood of a physical drive failure through physical ware. This problem is compounded even more if the drive is large or isn't partitioned into smaller segments to artificially prevent Smart Defrag from lumping all the "rarely" used data at the end of the drive to prevent needless seeking all the way to the end of the platter(s) and back. The only time Smart Defrags current defragmentation routine sort of makes sense is on a large drive or partition that is very full (70% or more).

Therefore it would be extremely pleasing to see a different defragmentation algorithm used for drives that are not almost full, a algorithm that defragments data and consolidates all of it into the nearest available block on the drive is much more efficient in cases where the drive or partition isn't almost full. How something like this would be implemented obviously isn't up to me but giving the user the choice of which defragmentation algorithm to use would be preferable.

2. Smart Defrag currently does a poor job of consolidating "straggler" data into the nearest available block

As the point says really, I gave Smart Defrag three chances to catch this "straggler" data, twice with "Defrag and fully optimise" and once with "Defrag and prioritise files". It failed every time to catch and consolidate these "stragglers".

3. Smart Defrag speed

As a whole Smart Defrag seems to be very lackadaisical about its defragging, no doubt down to it only using a very small percentage of CPU power to get the job done (highest I measured was a meager 20% on my laptop) while I understand this approach I would suggest a option is added so the user can set how much CPU power is dedicated when defragging, personally I would much rather have a defragger that uses most of my CPU power but gets the job done in a fraction of the time.

4. Some general observations

I also found some minor things that would make sense to address, or add a option so the user can set things to their preference, those things are;

- Smart Defrag by default analyses all drives \ partitions

This doesn't make sense, it just wastes the users time if they only want to analyse and defrag one particular drive or partition. I know you can uncheck drives and partitions you don't want analysed, I'm suggesting that by default Smart Defrag only has the primary drive selected for analysing.

- Smart Defrag by default loads automatically with Windows

As a power user I don't like this at all. I like my laptop and PC to boot as quickly as possible without programs loading in the background slowing the boot process down, if I want or need to defrag my drive I'll do it.

Now on to the things I do like :)

1. Smart Defrag UI

I like it, its easy to navigate and find things, its certainly much better than the absolutely horrible UI Diskeeper 2012 is using, the UI of Diskeeper 2011 is far superior to that of 2012. Never use a clunky UI like Diskeeper 2012 is using, I beg you.

2. Boot time defrag

This is a very nice inclusion, Smart Defrag is the only free utility I know of that includes this option. I did note however that there doesn't seem to be a option to only run a boot time defrag at the users request. Putting a option in to only run a boot time defrag when the user schedules it would make a lot of sense.

3. Disk cleanup prior to defrag

This is a great little addition to have and just makes sense. I would like to see this expanded a bit though to include all but the 3 most recent Windows restore points. We all know how Windows loves to gobble up space with restore points ;)

Hopefully this has been helpful. You can contact me any time if you would like me to do some testing and I'll try to keep a eye on this thread. In the meantime I'll look forward to testing any future improved versions of Smart Defrag.