IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Send Your Feedback for Smart Defrag v4

Cicely

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Just thought I let you know at first it was not recognizing my Hard disk that was format as basic Tell I change it to dynamic don't know why it did that but thought I share with you what has happened With me it was on one of my Seagate 1TB drives that I used for storage

Hi m1a2tanky68,

Thanks for your feedback.

Do you mean that Smart Defrag does not detect your HD? i.e: One of your HD did not show on Smart Defrag? If so, please download the tool from http://testdemo.iobit.com/SD4InfoHelper.exe

Then double click to run this tool and click “Save report to Desktop”. You will get a zipped file IObit_Debug_Info.zip on your desktop. Please send it to us so that we can get the detailed information to look into.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Just thought id drop in and post my views on the beta 2.0 vesion..

I tried the stable version and loved everything about it, id not long found this prog so i had only used the windows defrag which does not give too much output and just plain sucks really lol...

Anyways after doing a search i found Smart Defrag and figured wth give it a try and i was totally amazed.

Everything about it was just spot on, from the design layout, speed of operations ease of use.

I really like the graphical output while the software works its magic on the defragging, it was great to see exaclty what was goin on and that there was something happening unlike the windows defrag which just lay around at 0% for so long i figured it didnt like my hard drives lol

I have 2 HDD both 1TB or more, one is an external which connects via usb.. Ive been having issues with this on windows 7 dont know why but would not defrag via windows defragger also would not let me perform disk scanners. I also had a file that could not be deleted.

Anyways i connected it to my new laptop which is win 8.1 tried windows defrag again and nothing.. but was able to delete the file that was not being deleted before which was good.

So this led me to this software.

Smart Defrag did all my drives without any problems the external drive did take some time but it was the 1st time it had been done since i owned the drive and it is 1.8tb drive but the fact that SD did it and windows didnt is enough for me to keep with it in the future.

So anyways the beta version (beta 2.0) ive just installed and here are some things i like and dislike

Dislikes:

1. Im not as keen on the layout of the drives as much as i am on the current stable version. Most laptops have partitions and i also have an external so all these displayed with large clunky icons is a little offputting

Maybe this could be a user selectable option to have a list of drives or large or small icons

2. Just a small thing but for me this meant so much for me when watching the defrag.. While defragging there was no white "Moving" being displayed despite the key still showing it exist i never actually saw this flashing like it does in the stable version, again when you have large drives storing large files like WAVs or MP3s its nice to see this little white marker as it give me peace of mind that something is goin on :)

1. Speed, does seam much improved both for Analyze and Defrag (all options)

2. Game Defrag

3. Notifications Icon for the program is better then the current version one, not sure why but the current version icon that appears in the notifications is really pixely (just a small thing but it adds a little polished look to the program)

Nice program and cant wait to see how it progresses in the future :)

Hi ACCPresidentLB,

@ACCPresidentLB, thanks for your feedback. I will report your suggestion to our product team for consideration.

Some of users mentioned that want to defrag all disks together as Smart Defrag v3 did. Actually, defrag one by one in Smart Defrag v4 can defrag faster. Thus, many of you think it is faster than v3. :-)

@ mrbear, thanks for your detailed description and precious suggestions. I will report it to our product team, too.

Well, I am so happy to see that there are so many users took their precious time to give us feedbacks and suggestion to help improve Smart Defrag. I can not say how much we thank you. Cheers. :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_14522_1423735942952_767[/ATTACH] Hello. First post.

How do I remove Boot Time Defrag at startup on my SSD?

I installed Win 8.1 on my laptop HDD. I activated SD4 v2 Boot Time Defrag - every boot on the HDD.

I later purchased a 240GB SSD. I copied all the partitions from the HDD to the SSD.

I did not deactivate Boot Time Defrag - Every Boot on the HDD before I copied the partitions to the SSD.

Now every time I boot from the SSD, it begins the Boot Time Defrag process, but does not complete because it is an SSD. When I run SD4 v2 on the SSD, there is no option given for me to turn off Boot Time Defrag.

I want to remove Boot Time Defrag from the startup process on my SSD. There is no scheduled task to delete, and no service to disable that I can see.

Please advise me on what changes need to be made to remove this from my boot up sequence.

Thank you for your help.

P.S. - Considering the current popularity of migrating the OS from an HDD to an SSD, this issue may come up with greater frequency. Perhaps a flag could be set in SD4 at program install identifying HDD or SSD. At SD4 program startup, if SSD is detected, but previous flag was for HDD, then there could be an auto-cleanup of Boot Time Defrag options.

Hello IObit Team,

Here is my feedback for the Smart Defrag 4 Beta 2.0. I like the new look better than Smart Defrag 3, but I would rather keep the option to choose for simultaneously analyse and defrag selected drives (That option was in Smart Defrag 3). Reason? I feel that method was faster. Note that I did not say that the new algorithm on the defragmentation is slow, it is actually faster. But it only defrags one drive at one time.

Summary: I choose the Smart Defrag 4's look and choose the simultaneously analyse and defrag selected drives option from Smart Defrag 3.

Just tried Smart Defrag 4 Beta 2 for the first time, and here's my impression of it: first, the good stuff -- I like the main screen (grid), with the tabs for each drive. However, since most people appreciate simplicity and convenience when manually defragmenting their drives, I'd suggest doing away with the initial drive selection screen altogether, and having the program launch directly to the grid for drive C. Have all other detected drives automatically placed in tabs across the top, and have their checkboxes automatically selected or de-selected, according to their last state, when the program was last run. Also, where the information about file fragmentation is provided above each of the grids, I'd suggest including information about the drive's available free space. Lastly, if the program is going to delete junk files, the user needs to be able to see a list of what will be deleted, before the operation happens. Most users won't look at it, but it helps people trust the program, if they have the option to look first.

Is it possible to bring back Version 3.3 defragging of all partitions at the same time? Version 3 really seemed to live up to its name (really SMART) in how it could defrag 4 partitions at the same time. I was amazed & in total awe; & it blew me away how the program was capable of defragging all the partitions in 1 shot. I couldn’t even begin to fathom how the program was setup to do such a task. Some of the partitions would be defragged faster than others, depending on the size & amount of space being used on each partition. With Version 4, 1 partition at a time gets defragged before moving on to the next 1 which takes longer to defrag each partition separately.

After downloading & installing Version 4.2, I came across a problem when defragging 1 of my partitions. After using 3 of the 4 defragging options, the attached picture shows the partition as still being fragmented. This has never happened until now. I have no idea why this occurred or how to remedy the situation. Has anyone else experienced or reported this type of problem?

For the most part, I really liked Smart Defrag for its graphical detail & appearance of the actual defragging & rearranging of the files; similar to the old Windows defragment program before the graphics was changed to moving vertical lines. I was looking for a defrag program that showed the rearranging of the files as moving boxes; & this program not only captured my love for it, the program could also be used to replace the Windows defragment program as an added bonus. Thanks for creating a very SMART program. Dominic [ATTACH=CONFIG]n204192[/ATTACH]

Hi Cicely,

do not want to get inside the strategy buried in the defrag algorithm, reading the filename while defragging and looking at the "blinking" map on the screen it seems that the program defrags files reading in sequence the MFT.

Just a curiosity if yu can ask the R&D team how the program decide to defragment files... in term of performance I think could be great if all files under a certain directory are putted in sequence.

Especially at application level all related files to a program (except system and os files) are included in the same dir so if a program while loading have them one ofter the other or located very close on to the other could increase perfomance in loading... Just an Idea from an "old (56 year) programmer"

Congrats on the good job, have switched definitively from a concurrent tool to smart defrag and also making some "advertising" with friend for this good program.

KEEP GOING

Luc 8:)

I just installed it. Lacking the window resize handle I have two choices it appears, too small to show all my disks and too big taking the full screen. There needs to be a middle ground.

This is especially true once you start looking at the block maps, the in between sizes helps there too.

In addition the beta leaves smart defrag 3 installed and active. Don't they conflict if they both are running?

Scanning for junk files should only work on the disks being defragmented, not on drives not being defragmented. I had to skip it because it was trying to run on my C drive and I was only defragging R.

Defgragmentation screen should show x/y where x= fragments or files defragmented and y = total fragments/files to be defragmented. It only displays X now.

I am defragging using beta 2, a 2.45TB used of 5.5TB partition, with 7500 files on it. I has sat doing a small directory (80 files, 90kb) pegging the CPU for over 2 minutes now.

V3 had no issues with this directory or this entire disk. It's at 10%, state: "Smart Analyzing".

Thats a lot of CPU cycles, Just moved on after 2:10 minutes of full taking a full CPU.

Hi, Ciceily. This is the email I just sent you.

Downloaded and using it right now. I do not like it at all.

It has been more than an hour and it is still not finished.

Some system details:

219Gb C and 361Gb data partition D; both hardly filled; Win 7 Pro

D has a lot of pics and videos but with the old version, it just took about less than 15 mins to complete both virtual drives;

Too many things that are out of kilter;

GUI says no frags but State of Fragmentation says between 70-80%;

Rate of defrag goes up and down - 2.26+-.1 up to now;

C defrag took only a few minutes but D is unbelievably SLOW;

Process finish time left fluctuates up and down? Why? Should just be going down as the process goes, right? Beta I know but a lot more work to beat the original version;

Hope I can get back to the previous version; Did not uninstall it;

It is now more than an hour (may go for 2 hrs) and it is still defragging D!!!!!!!! Unbelievable! Am not going to terminate it. Afraid may screw up my system.

My own 2 cents.

But VERY UNHAPPY CAMPER! But thanks for trying to improve the product but failed my test.

Hi, Ciceily. This is the email I just sent you.

Downloaded and using it right now. I do not like it at all.

It has been more than an hour and it is still not finished.

Some system details:

219Gb C and 361Gb data partition D; both hardly filled; Win 7 Pro

D has a lot of pics and videos but with the old version, it just took about less than 15 mins to complete both virtual drives;

Too many things that are out of kilter;

GUI says no frags but State of Fragmentation says between 70-80%;

Rate of defrag goes up and down - 2.26+-.1 up to now;

C defrag took only a few minutes but D is unbelievably SLOW;

Process finish time left fluctuates up and down? Why? Should just be going down as the process goes, right? Beta I know but a lot more work to beat the original version;

Hope I can get back to the previous version; Did not uninstall it;

It is now more than an hour (may go for 2 hrs) and it is still defragging D!!!!!!!! Unbelievable! Am not going to terminate it. Afraid may ***** up my system.

My own 2 cents.

But VERY UNHAPPY CAMPER! But thanks for trying to improve the product but failed my test.

10:23am 2/18/15. I is now more than 2 hrs and it is still at 95% complete and has been at that point for 30 mins!

I said yes to scanning for junk files, it scans doesn't say anything.. then just jumps straight into the defrag. What's up with that?

I assume it's deleting the files but it doesn't say that it has, just that it's scanned them..

Also does the option 'Delete Windows temp files older than 1 week' mean that with Temp files being ticked only those temp files older than 1 week are being deleted?

If this is not ticked does that mean all Windows Temporary files are deleted? Some clarity in the naming of this would be ideal.

I'm also setting Boot Defrag to happen every boot, but nothing is showing as happening when booting. Usually a command prompt style defrag display would show.

GUI resolution in small on high DPI display 3200x1800 elements size set in windows to almost largest. It is very hard to hit right button on touch display when your finger is 2-3times bigger than control element. :) What about hybrid drive support? I mean, a lot of drives are hybrid today HDD with small SSD or using Intel Rapid Storage mSATA with HDD. I hope this helps. :) Otherwise good product. At least ordering by priority work's very well. Just trying new smart defrag on hybrid drive to see how that will go! :)