IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Useful Tool

Ted

Hi, Everyone,

Here is a very useful tool a friend told me about. As you can see from my attachments, I had five outdated programmes which were labelled as a security threat. The second shot shows my setup with the rogues removed.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Secunia-Personal-Software-Inspector.shtml

The only two I had real problems with were Yahoo Toolbar and Shockwave 8. I tried all the tricks I found online to uninstall these two, but the Unwise uninstaller for Shockwave kept asking for the install.log which wasn't there, so I finished up by deleting the Shockwave folder in C:\Windows\System32\Macromedia.

Yahoo toolbar wouldn't uninstall, either, so I deleted the Yahoo folder in C:\Program Files. I found an uninstaller in that Yahoo folder, but it couldn't find an install.log, either.

I thought I'd be smart and save those two deleted folders on another partition, just in case, but Secunia found and relisted them. I've now hidden them in a zipped folder and that fooled Secunia.

Try it out.

=============

Sorry detailer, I should have read your post first!

Hi guys,

Remember the details of cleaned files by Disk Cleaner utility (ASC3)?

I think, we should carefuly check the LOG files offered for deletion there.

Just a reminder!!!:-D

Cheers.

BTW, Secunia PSI is good utility I have been using for a while, only miscalculating the risk of latest mplayer classic in my case in the latest version.

Hi, samr,

Did you have an install.log file in your Shockwave folder or did you delete the whole folder like I did?

enoskype: Perhaps I did have that install.log originally and ASC3 deleted it.

It's hard to tell which log files to delete and which to keep!

Hi Ted,

I believe the path for Shockwave is Windows/System 32/Macromedia/Shockwave. The current version(10) is there. Shockwave 8 is older, and I could have cleaned it out using any other disk cleaning program since it is a text file. However, V. 10 Install.log does show up in ASC 3 Disk Cleaner. My guess is the older version did not un-install correctly because of the missing V. 8 Install.log file. Like you I crossed my fingers, deleted the file & ran a reg. cleanup. I had no problems.

samr.

Hi, samr,

Yes, Windows/System 32/Macromedia/Shockwave was the path for my Shockwave and I deleted the whole Shockwave folder. Incidentally, my Macromedia folder is named: Macromed.

In that Macromed folder There are three folders: Common, Director, and Flash. The Flash Folder contains two files: FlashUtil10a and Flash10a.ocx. I can't find an install.log in any of them. Perhaps they've already been deleted?

Hi Ted

I used my old Jouni Vuorio's regcleaner to clean out this particular folder from the program folders, the program (macromedia) itself was uninstalled and replaced by version 10 some time ago.

But we can use fx. the win Manager in ASC for this too or ccleaner

Jouni Vuorio's regcleaner is also shown as an "uncertain" program, but this I just ignore. (I think it is called jv16 now - but that program isn't free anymore)

Cheers

solbjerg

Hi, samr,

Yes, Windows/System 32/Macromedia/Shockwave was the path for my Shockwave and I deleted the whole Shockwave folder. Incidentally, my Macromedia folder is named: Macromed.

In that Macromed folder There are three folders: Common, Director, and Flash. The Flash Folder contains two files: FlashUtil10a and Flash10a.ocx. I can't find an install.log in any of them. Perhaps they've already been deleted?

Secunia PSI

Hi Guys, I had posted with reference to Secunia some time ago. I have used it steadily since I found it and really had only one problem. Shockwave 8, can you believe it? (lol). It kept showing up in scans of the software for my Logitech Harmony remote. I finally emailed the folks at Secunia and they (Emil) responded in less than 12hrs and clued in me in where to find it and suggested just deleting it as has been mentioned. Did so with no problems to program. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you have a problem as a result of your scan, give Secunia a shout, they will take the time to help you. With reference to Sunny's concern about system resources, I have PSI running at startup and have found that it uses a minimal amount. I'm set to scan once a week, and when I install or uninstall, ballon pops up and lets me know whats new and what's been removed.

AT

Hi Atailor1,

Good to to know that they can be so helpful. I will remember this.

I think this is a useful tool, and I didn't find much of a problem with resources,but it did find it a little irritating waiting for it to connect each time I log on PC. I chose not to have it running all the time.

samr.

Hi, solbjerg,

Thank you for your comments.

Do you have any idea why my Macromedia folder is named: Macromed?

=======================================================

Hi, samr,

Why do you have Flash 10 and Shockwave installed, aren't they very similar players?

Attachment shows the only two files in my Flash Folder.

Hi, atailor1,

Thank you for your feedback.

Hi Ted,

From the Adobe website:

"While there is support for including Flash movies inside Shockwave files, authors often choose the Shockwave over Flash because it offers more features and more powerful tools. Features not replicated by Flash include a much faster rendering engine, including hardware-accelerated 3D, and support for various network protocols."

But I have found applications that use flash and don't seem to work right without the flash player installed. They don't seem to conflict.

P.S. : You are correct, my file name is also micromed.

samr.

F Y I

Hi guys,

FYI, there is an uninstaller program downloadable from Adobe to uninstall Flash Player .

The name is "uninstall_flash_player.exe" and the size is 204 KB. (updated Oct. 15 2008 )

Here is the quote from Adobe.

Due to recent enhancements to the Adobe Flash Player installers, you can now remove the player only by using the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller.

Cheers.

Archived