IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

System File Checker

garybear

This is probably another dumb question, but here goes anyway. In the tool section there are many neat tools. I clicked System File Checker, and waited. After a while, I was promted to insert my window instalation cd. I waited and watched the blue line finaly get to the end. It said it was checking files that were critical for windows. My question is, what did I do? Did I do good? Well than I clicked System Backup, and I have no idea what that did. I have recomended this to all my friends, but it's embarrasing when they ask me things like this and I have to say I don't know. I know backup, but where did it go? Did I replace files that were deleted unknowing or what? HELP [GARYBEAR]

Hi sunny

The description of the functions are depicted in the first window that comes up, when one uses the functions.

But I haven't yet tried them, so if you have - then perhaps you would be so kind as to tell us where there log of the action is placed. Is it fx. shown in the Administration log?

The backUp facility is in reality the same as Windows System backup.

But if you have the location of the log files in question, please offer us the information.

Thank you sunny - and excuse me for not checking myself - put it down to laziness and ignorance :-)

Cheers

solbjerg

SFC

Oddly that is normal, when it finds an error it fixes it with cd or link to i386. But when it completes its run thats it no summary of fixes and no report.

Where to find what happened after SFC run.

For XP,

You can find what sfc has changed in "system event log for the SFC event".

If you want to see what was replaced:

Right click My Computer=>manage, expand event viewer=>system.

For Vista,

CBC.log file can be found in:

C:\Windows/Logs/CBS folder

Each SFC.exe program entry in this file has an [sR] tag.

You can search for [sR] tags to help locate SFC.exe program entries.

To perform this kind of search and to redirect the results to a text file such as sfcdetails.txt :

Type the following command in command promt, and then press ENTER:

findstr /c:"[sR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Cheers.

System File Checker

Now what? I checked out the log and found several red x's and some yellow warnings. I think this is a little over my head guys. I still don't know what happened when I clicked backup,where did that go? Is this alittle like clone files, and I should just stay clear of this area? Do I need to worry about the red x's and yellow warning? Were they here before I used asc3? I never checked there before , so they probably were. I have lots of quesstions ,and i'm trying to learn, but i'm not real pc smart. How offtend should I run File Checker? Or should I just forget that part,and stay with what I know. Thanks for putting up with my lack of knowledge. You guys are great and I give you much thanks. Please stink around and help dummies like me [garybear]

Hi garybear

If one right click on the item and choose properties, you can read what it is about, but you are right, - for the most part it do not need to concern you.

About sfc - it should only be used if one has a suspicion that something is wrong with the basic setup of Windows, otherwise it need not concern you.

The best course for not so experienced users is to descibe ones problem and ask for guidance by fx. a forum or by Microsoft or the producer of the application that is causing you concern.

Cheers

solbjerg

Now what? I checked out the log and found several red x's and some yellow warnings. I think this is a little over my head guys. I still don't know what happened when I clicked backup,where did that go? Is this alittle like clone files, and I should just stay clear of this area? Do I need to worry about the red x's and yellow warning? Were they here before I used asc3? I never checked there before , so they probably were. I have lots of quesstions ,and i'm trying to learn, but i'm not real pc smart. How offtend should I run File Checker? Or should I just forget that part,and stay with what I know. Thanks for putting up with my lack of knowledge. You guys are great and I give you much thanks. Please stink around and help dummies like me [garybear]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm new here as you can see, I've been looking for information about what system file checker does with a file if it finds one and prompts you to supply a source,But you cancel,? I recently ran the file checker utility in Advanced System Care 3 on Win Xp home updated via Windows online update scanner to SP3 and was prompted to supply a source for a file, I canceled the operation deciding this may be over my head at this time, I have used the file checker on either Windows 95 or 98 (to long ago to recall which for sure) and successfully restored potentially corrupt files in the past, but have not even attempted this on Xp till now.

In Event viewer I do have an entry for Windows File Protection with the 0x000004c7 error code and {operation was canceled} + {file is necessary to maintain system stability} messages with mplayer2.exe as the file in question, I copied and pasted the whole Event to notepad in case I need the technical info to examine or to be examined, My main question is if File Checker/Win File Protection simply performs no action at all on the file if the operation is canceled or if it removes the file immediately upon it's detection and I need to supply a source to keep the file in it's form before operating File Checker? I'm not certain I understand exactly what the Event message implies? And am wondering if at this point I've already made some modification that need's undoing?:oops:

Archived