IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

asc3 properties

garybear

garybear - A little background...

The registry is actually stored as files on your hard drive. In Windows XP, the registry files are located at C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config. The registry files are named default, sam, security, software, and system. As you use Windows, and as Windows modifies the registry, it's actually updating the appropriate files.

That given, I think you're onto something. When you click Backup Registry, ASC should somehow, somewhere, back up those registry files. (Probably just copying them to new file names, where Restore Registry would copy the backup files "back" to the working file names.)

When I click Backup Registry, the screen goes dark (I hate that), the "Backing up registry" pop-up proudly displays, and then for about 15 seconds nothing else happens. Then the pop-up goes away and the screen brightens, but it doesn't seem that any backups were created. At least I can't find them. I don't see them either in the restore window, or at C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config. Also...if ASC were really backing up files, I would expect to see a flurry of HDD activity, but there isn't any. Not sure what it's doing.

Looks to me like registry backup is buggy. I'd stay away from it for now. I know you know that hitting the power button is a last option, but you want to avoid putting yourself into the position of having to do it. You can actually corrupt files (even registry files) that are open or in use when you shut down that way.

garybear - A little background...

The registry is actually stored as files on your hard drive. In Windows XP, the registry files are located at C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config. The registry files are named default, sam, security, software, and system. As you use Windows, and as Windows modifies the registry, it's actually updating the appropriate files.

That given, I think you're onto something. When you click Backup Registry, ASC should somehow, somewhere, back up those registry files. (Probably just copying them to new file names, where Restore Registry would copy the backup files "back" to the working file names.)

When I click Backup Registry, the screen goes dark (I hate that), the "Backing up registry" pop-up proudly displays, and then for about 15 seconds nothing else happens. Then the pop-up goes away and the screen brightens, but it doesn't seem that any backups were created. At least I can't find them. I don't see them either in the restore window, or at C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config. Also...if ASC were really backing up files, I would expect to see a flurry of HDD activity, but there isn't any. Not sure what it's doing.

Looks to me like registry backup is buggy. I'd stay away from it for now. I know you know that hitting the power button is a last option, but you want to avoid putting yourself into the position of having to do it. You can actually corrupt files that are open (even registry files) that are open or in use when you shut down that way.

Thank God ,someone is listining to me, and thank you Dave. Thank you all so,solberg. I was ready to give up, but now I'm I fired up. I will stay away from from these two actions, but hope someone fixes them soon. I'll be tuned in to the forum in the mean time [garybear]

Hey Dave ,is this what you were talking about??

Yep. I'll bet the *.iobit files are the backups. I don't have any of those in my directory.

From the file dates it looks like ASC did back them up at least once on 11/28.

I haven't had much time to mess with it lately...been crazy busy. I may try to reinstall and see what happens.

Ok Dave

Glad to have you jump in!

I do not have them either in Windows\system32

But I do have backups going back to sometime in september in my backups in ASC Restore Center.

I haven't had reason to try the function, but it certainly sounds as if something is amiss.

By the way the "going dark" is necessary while the "normal" functioning of windows has to be held in abyance while changes to the registry are being made. (as you probably know)

Where those logs and backups are stored I haven't found out yet.

If I find them I'll post back.

Cheerio

solbjerg

By the way garybear - how are your settings in Options/backup? Do you have create backups every day option clicked on? All options?

Yep. I'll bet the *.iobit files are the backups. I don't have any of those in my directory.

From the file dates it looks like ASC did back them up at least once on 11/28.

I haven't had much time to mess with it lately...been crazy busy. I may try to reinstall and see what happens.

Hi Guys,

FYI:

1)

The "Backup Registry" takes a backup of all Registries of the PC and puts it to:

C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 3\Backup\RegistryBackup.cab\[Bakreg.reg]

Every time you backup the whole registry, Bakreg.reg registry file is renewed.

2)

The place for the Restore Center Backups is:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Application Data\IObit\Advanced SystemCare\Backup\[6randomletters.reg]

Every backup has a different xxxxx.reg registry file there.

3)

The place for Disk Cleaner's backup is :

C:\Documents and Settings\[user Name]\Application Data\IObit\DiskCleaner\backup\[backup.zlib]

Every backup renews backup.zlip file.

NOTE:

I wouldn't touch to:

default.iobit

SAM.iobit

SECURITY.iobit

software.iobit

system.iobit

files in:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\config

if Windows is running OK.

Cheers.

By the way the "going dark" is necessary while the "normal" functioning of windows has to be held in abyance while changes to the registry are being made. (as you probably know)[/Quote]

I didn't know that. I use other registry backup and compression utilities which don't cause that behavior. For example Erunt (Emergency Recovery Utility NT); it simply copies the registry files to a directory of your choice.

Thanks for the file locations enoskype. In any case, I have neither cab nor reg files or folders in my iobit backup folder, so registry backup doesn't look like it's doing what it thinks it's doing. And garybear's machine locks up. What are the *.iobit files?

Dave

Hi Dave

Yes OK, once again we are reminded that every computer is different!

And thanks to enoskype too - "we know the lion by his claw"

as was said by Bernoulli about Newton.

Cheerio

solbjerg

I didn't know that. I use other registry backup and compression utilities which don't cause that behavior. For example Erunt (Emergency Recovery Utility NT); it simply copies the registry files to a directory of your choice.

Thanks for the file locations enoskype. In any case, I have neither cab nor reg files or folders in my iobit backup folder, so registry backup doesn't look like it's doing what it thinks it's doing. And garybear's machine locks up. What are the *.iobit files?

Dave

Hi JustDave,

You will find useful information here about originals of those files.

I think, ASC creates them in the first instance of installation, which are backups of the instance of installation main registry hives.

Coming to garybear's case, I have some experience in meddling with The Registry, but it is the last thing that I would like to play with. My best advice will be after being sure that everything is OK with his PC, a complete clean uninstall-install of ASC with immediate Restore point and registry backup creation and leave it as it is.

Dave, do you have any restriction and/or protection for Registry changes?

Hi solbjerg,

You are always spoiling me.:-D Thank you. If you say it 40 times, it may come to be true, or somebody may think it is true.:razz:

Cheers.

Hi enoskype,

I already have that page bookmarked and a pdf of it in my crash manual. :lol:

I'm not having problems with the originals, just curious as to the lack of IObit backups. I think I will do an uninstall and clean reinstall when I get a chance.

Regarding registry protection, I'm running Sunbelt's VIPRE which will occasionally warn me that some app or another is trying modify the startup list, but that's it. I've checked the VIPRE logs but I'm not finding any IObit apps or services either blocked or quarantined. I'll turn off active protection and try again before I reinstall.

Dave

I do have two reg files in that location.

Yes. I'm still on SP2. The last time I had to reinstall Windows was over three years ago, and as far as I can see, neither SP3 nor Vista offer anything worth the risk of a major update. My system is still clean, fast, and more importantly, stable, so I don't plan on making any major changes until Micro$oft ends support for SP2.

Very good Dave!

If it works well - why change/repair it

I liked the Micro$oft quip

Cheerio

solbjerg

I do have two reg files in that location.

Yes. I'm still on SP2. The last time I had to reinstall Windows was over three years ago, and as far as I can see, neither SP3 nor Vista offer anything worth the risk of a major update. My system is still clean, fast, and more importantly, stable, so I don't plan on making any major changes until Micro$oft ends support for SP2.

Ok Dave

Glad to have you jump in!

I do not have them either in Windows\system32

But I do have backups going back to sometime in september in my backups in ASC Restore Center.

I haven't had reason to try the function, but it certainly sounds as if something is amiss.

By the way the "going dark" is necessary while the "normal" functioning of windows has to be held in abyance while changes to the registry are being made. (as you probably know)

Where those logs and backups are stored I haven't found out yet.

If I find them I'll post back.

Cheerio

solbjerg

By the way garybear - how are your settings in Options/backup? Do you have create backups every day option clicked on? All options?

Is this what you are asking??

Precisely gary

Standard settings. Ok

The reason I thought of it was because you only had three restore files in your other screenshot, - and I wondered a bit.

Did you see enoskypes advice regarding a fresh clean uninstall/install - provided that nothing else was wrong with your computer?

Cheerio

solbjerg

Is this what you are asking??

asc3 properties

Well I sure can't complain about being ignored any more lol. I'm not sure exactly what your telling me how ever. Are you telling me to uninstall and reinstall asc3 because the action Restore Registry is locking up my pc? Then are you telling me to just do action Backup Registry and not use these actions for now after I un and re istall. Also ,asuming Restore Registry is working the way its supposed to ,when should I ever use it, and what is it for? I hope ,not to many questions. I do not want to be a pest.[garybear]

Hi gary

Bearing in mind that you told us that several things wasn't working on your computer, I think that was the background of enoskypes advice.

But regarding the the Restore Registry I think it is worth a try to do a clean uninstall and install of ASC 3.01 (I suppose you know the post that talks about this) :-)

But remember to configure the details in System Optimization before clicking repair!!

And do not use the Restore Registry function just for fun.

Only try it it if it could be of use in a situation where something untoward has happened.

As you saw in the screenshot you sent, there are four areas that can be restored if something isn't working right, and one has to choose the right ones if something is wrong after a scan/repair, - provided it works as intended. I do not want to test it here unless I encounter a problem that warrants it.

I think it has been described how earlier in the post.

Regarding your other problems - we must look into that a bit later.

Cheerio

solbjerg

Well I sure can't complain about being ignored any more lol. I'm not sure exactly what your telling me how ever. Are you telling me to uninstall and reinstall asc3 because the action Restore Registry is locking up my pc? Then are you telling me to just do action Backup Registry and not use these actions for now after I un and re istall. Also ,asuming Restore Registry is working the way its supposed to ,when should I ever use it, and what is it for? I hope ,not to many questions. I do not want to be a pest.[garybear]

asc3 properties

Hi gary

Bearing in mind that you told us that several things wasn't working

Regarding your other problems - we must look into that a bit later.

Cheerio

solbjerg

There are only two things not working , that I know of. System Information and Help and Support. I have no idea when ,why, or what caused this. I don't think asc3 caused it, but was one of the reasons I was trying Action Restore Registry in asc3. I do not wish to bother you about these two things, as they are not that inportant to me . I'm not smart enough to use them any way.I do wish to thank you for all your help,you have been great. I also am very sorry for getting so angry with the forum and you, please forgive me. I will not use Restore Registry unless its the last resort. Why do I need to reinstall asc3 if its working just fine, just asking? My cd for windows is out of date ,and it just tells me I already have a newer version of windows installed, and won't let me just do an upgrade. that would probably fix my two known problems.Don't need them now so i'm not worried about that. [garybear]

Ok gary

If you are accepting the state of affairs, then just do not reinstall anything, and go on as before.

If you are happy that way its ok, - everything works - almost- and that's the important thing, right!

By the way if you have an installation with a windows cd that has been updated to sp2 and later on to sp3, - detailer provided a link to make a file to use as a backpup disc in case one had to run a sfc command.

Remember that you still have the Windows restore option.

You talked about that you only have restore points for this month, but this is not true, unless you have lowered the limit of space (that as default is 12%) to a lower percentage. Then you just have to click on the arrow to the left and it will show you the restore points in november too, and perhaps earlier.

cheerio

solbjerg

There are only two things not working , that I know of. System Information and Help and Support. I have no idea when ,why, or what caused this. I don't think asc3 caused it, but was one of the reasons I was trying Action Restore Registry in asc3. I do not wish to bother you about these two things, as they are not that inportant to me . I'm not smart enough to use them any way.I do wish to thank you for all your help,you have been great. I also am very sorry for getting so angry with the forum and you, please forgive me. I will not use Restore Registry unless its the last resort. Why do I need to reinstall asc3 if its working just fine, just asking? My cd for windows is out of date ,and it just tells me I already have a newer version of windows installed, and won't let me just do an upgrade. that would probably fix my two known problems.Don't need them now so i'm not worried about that. [garybear]

• 2 weeks later...

When I look at the ASC created Bakreg.reg it seems to only contain HKEY_Current_User entries. If eusing backs up the whole registry that would explain it. That also causes me to question the wisdom of relying on the ASC Registry Backup if it only captures a portion of the registry. Does it really only backup the HKEY_Current_User portion of the registry? Or is my ASC broken?

asc3properties

Hey Dave, if yours is broken, so is mine. There is a big difference between asc3 registry back up and eusing's back up. About 50,000, I would say. I don't know how big my registry is. I wish I was a whole lot smarter than I'm. I try to learn every day, and I do learn a little. I know that ,if I try to use restore registry in asc3, it will lock me up. Its not a big deal , but it should work, or not be there. Maybe the big boys will figure it out soon and let us know.I sure enjoy your friend ship Dave. I enjoy everyone of you guys, you have been a blessing to me. Happy Holidays to all. [garybear]

Archived