IObit Forum
Top Free Driver Updater Tools Best 25 PC Optimization Software Best 22 Antimalware Best 22 Uninstaller Software IObit Coupons & Discount Offers PC Optimizer Mac Boost Advice IObit Coupons A Good Utility Program From IObit IObit Promo Codes IObit Coupon Codes IObit Coupons and Deals FAQs Driver Booster Pro Review

Blank spaces

I noticed that some commercial defraggers also close up the files on the HDD, thus making the map look nice and perhaps making allocation for new files easier for the OS.

It looks as though Smart Defrag doesn't yet do this. Is this a future feature, please?

Secondly, what is the advantage, if any, to closing up all the gaps?

I remember some free defragger from Germany that runs in its own DOS directly from a Boot and seems to defrag smaller files than the Windows defragger and seems to make the gaps go away. (I am talking about an NTFS formatted HDD with Win 2K installed).

I am a new user, using Win XP-SP2 and am impressed with SD. Well done and thank you.

Swamiji

compacting files

Hi swamiji-I know what you mean,be patient as Iobit's defrag is a work in progress.It's still one of the best free utilities out there.For the type of file compacting you speak of,you would have to look to something like Ultimate Defrag from Distrix-but be prepared to take out your wallet after the free 30day trial is over!

Hi swamiji,

Please go all through Think about Defragmentation!!! thread in Lounge section.

You may have scattered files because of fragmented System files.

We are all waiting IObit to release a future version of SD with offline defrag capability.

The advantage is the speed, less work of disk head and less fragmented future files on the disk.

Most of the defragmenter programs puts the files closer if you choose Defragment Only mode.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Archived